Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the site and cannot find anyone who has actually towed a trailer with a 2019 Rav4 Adventure. I have tow experience and I seriously doubt the vehicle's ability to tow 3,500 lbs for anything more than down the block. However, I do want to tow a travel trailer of 1,500 to 1,750 LBS with another 300 pounds or so of gear (in the trailer) and a couple hundred on the vehicle. The real issue is that my travels often include mountains. I bought the vehicle and I plan to do it but I'd LOVE to hear from someone who has towed any kind of trailer and the approximate weight and performance. Truth be told, my wife demands a toilet when camping. So even if I simply tow a freakin porta potty it will work. (Don't tell her my backup plan!)

Thanks all!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a 2019 Trail (What they call the adventure in Canada) and I tow 2500lbs of water plus the weight of the trailer (maybe 1000 lbs? not sure) to refill my cistern all the time. It is only about 30 mins of driving though. The car seems to handle it just fine, though milage of course goes out the window.

The brakes even seem OK which is surprising since the rating is actually for a trailer with trailer-brakes. I wouldn't go long distance without trailer brakes, but honestly it really seems to hold it rather well.

·
Registered
702 Posts
What, specifically, are you expecting?

I did a lot of research when we were looking into snagging a 30ft Airstream, and towing experiences were often very subjective. What I eventually realized is tongue weight and trailer balance, trailer brake type, hitch type and quality, terrain, etc, all made huge differences in how people felt about towinv. Hell, I was amazed when I finally realized that the perception of the engine working hard (i.e. gas vs diesel) made a huge difference in how people qualified their towing experiences.

I would be very confident towing 3500lb all across the country with this vehicle using a good weight-disgribution hitch, a quality electronic trailer brake system, and careful thought into trailer balance.

A 3500lb Uhaul trailer duct-taped to the back of this vehicle, that was stuffed full of junk with who-knows-what tongue weight and "technically-works" inertial brakes, would be a much less pleasant experience.

Bottom line: If you own a well-built 3500lb trailer and are willing to invest in a decent electronic trailer brake system and weight-distributing hitch, I think you will find this vehicle is a nice daily driver that can pull your trailer comfortably. If you are planning to throw Uncle Bob's 3500lb worth of old tractor on the back without a care in the world and drive it from Montana to Florida, you probably won't enjoy it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 2019 Trail (What they call the adventure in Canada) and I tow 2500lbs of water plus the weight of the trailer (maybe 1000 lbs? not sure) to refill my cistern all the time. It is only about 30 mins of driving though. The car seems to handle it just fine, though milage of course goes out the window.

The brakes even seem OK which is surprising since the rating is actually for a trailer with trailer-brakes. I wouldn't go long distance without trailer brakes, but honestly it really seems to hold it rather well.
Thank you for the specifics! This helps and I appreciate it...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What, specifically, are you expecting?

I did a lot of research when we were looking into snagging a 30ft Airstream, and towing experiences were often very subjective. What I eventually realized is tongue weight and trailer balance, trailer brake type, hitch type and quality, terrain, etc, all made huge differences in how people felt about towinv. Hell, I was amazed when I finally realized that the perception of the engine working hard (i.e. gas vs diesel) made a huge difference in how people qualified their towing experiences.

I would be very confident towing 3500lb all across the country with this vehicle using a good weight-disgribution hitch, a quality electronic trailer brake system, and careful thought into trailer balance.

A 3500lb Uhaul trailer duct-taped to the back of this vehicle, that was stuffed full of junk with who-knows-what tongue weight and "technically-works" inertial brakes, would be a much less pleasant experience.

Bottom line: If you own a well-built 3500lb trailer and are willing to invest in a decent electronic trailer brake system and weight-distributing hitch, I think you will find this vehicle is a nice daily driver that can pull your trailer comfortably. If you are planning to throw Uncle Bob's 3500lb worth of old tractor on the back without a care in the world and drive it from Montana to Florida, you probably won't enjoy it.
Hi Lindenwood, I appreciate your input. I pulled a 4,300 LB dry weight trailer around the country with a Titan, so I learned quite a bit about all the items you list, and I agree with you. I had the Titan because I sold the smaller Frontier we already had. The Frontier was listed as being able to tow over 6,000 pounds but taking the 4,300 pounder up mountain pass after mountain pass proved to test it too much for my liking. Some of the issue is that we also rarely tow a trailer with nothing in it, and nothing in the tow vehicle. Even with all the equipment mentioned a large buffer between rated tow capability and the weight on the actual loads is much safer. Manufacturer tow ratings are apparently often a bit puffed up... thus my question.... (I will have all the safe towing equipage.) Even with the real world experience mentioned by Anethema in this thread I will likely limit my trailer choice to well under 2,000 LBS.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Hi Lindenwood, I appreciate your input. I pulled a 4,300 LB dry weight trailer around the country with a Titan, so I learned quite a bit about all the items you list, and I agree with you. I had the Titan because I sold the smaller Frontier we already had. The Frontier was listed as being able to tow over 6,000 pounds but taking the 4,300 pounder up mountain pass after mountain pass proved to test it too much for my liking. Some of the issue is that we also rarely tow a trailer with nothing in it, and nothing in the tow vehicle. Even with all the equipment mentioned a large buffer between rated tow capability and the weight on the actual loads is much safer. Manufacturer tow ratings are apparently often a bit puffed up... thus my question.... (I will have all the safe towing equipage.) Even with the real world experience mentioned by Anethema in this thread I will likely limit my trailer choice to well under 2,000 LBS.
I would definitely agree that buying a vehicle knowing you will be regularly towing at max capacity is usually not a good move. But definitely, any regular towing that can be described in the same sentence as "mountain pass" exacerbates this caveat. Though, I acknowledge that most of the stresses of "mountain pass" towing come from engine RPM, and I don't think this engine would be upset at all about running for an hour at 4,000 RPM.

·
Registered
2020 Rav4 Trail🇨🇦
4 Posts
Hi, I have a 2020 trail and used it to tow a 5x8 enclosed uhaul trailer. Stuffed it full of boxes and more in the back of the vehicle while moving and it seemed to handle it just fine. Couldnt tell you an exact number of how heavy it was but the trailer was full. My route was all highway with much of it being a slight incline. It was quite noisy in the cab pulling it up hills but overall it seemed to manage it just fine. I dont regularly tow trailers and when I do its with a proper tow vehicle for work.

I had the dealer install their hitch and wiring harness as I wanted it it look clean coming out from the back bumper.

Like others have said, its not designed to tow, just handy to have it in case you need it. My fuel economy went from 7.5l/100km to around 12l/100km. Not fun. (n) but it got the job done and thats what counts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've searched the site and cannot find anyone who has actually towed a trailer with a 2019 Rav4 Adventure. I have tow experience and I seriously doubt the vehicle's ability to tow 3,500 lbs for anything more than down the block. However, I do want to tow a travel trailer of 1,500 to 1,750 LBS with another 300 pounds or so of gear (in the trailer) and a couple hundred on the vehicle. The real issue is that my travels often include mountains. I bought the vehicle and I plan to do it but I'd LOVE to hear from someone who has towed any kind of trailer and the approximate weight and performance. Truth be told, my wife demands a toilet when camping. So even if I simply tow a freakin porta potty it will work. (Don't tell her my backup plan!)

Thanks all!
Did you ever end up getting a trailer? How did it workout for you?

·
Registered
2020 Toyota RAV4 LE (Hybrid) AWD
41 Posts
As a side note, if this economy was to ever go completely sideways where gas/credit cards/and grocery stores became NON functional.. boy oh boy a lot of people are going to get a rude of awakening of what they say they wouldn't do, eat, or how they'd ever live. Here you can find some images of what the last depression was like 90 yrs ago and could easily/likely happen again. Wouldn't dare think this couldn't be a reality just because 'Merica.

As for the Wife-ability Clause.., LOL. A crafty toilet can be had with a full toilet {round} seat attached to a 5 gal bucket with a trash bag in it IF you had to, not likely going to score you any cuddle time but I'm a pretty die hard minimalist/self proclaimed survivalist. ; ) At least that's my excuse to go fishing and hunting.

On a personal note: I could share a story that would blow most peoples minds and paradigms of any normalcy before it was a Youtube trend. lol

·
Registered
66 Posts
As a side note, if this economy was to ever go completely sideways where gas/credit cards/and grocery stores became NON functional.. boy oh boy a lot of people are going to get a rude of awakening of what they say they wouldn't do, eat, or how they'd ever live. Here you can find some images of what the last depression was like 90 yrs ago and could easily/likely happen again. Wouldn't dare think this couldn't be a reality just because 'Merica.

As for the Wife-ability Clause.., LOL. A crafty toilet can be had with a full toilet {round} seat attached to a 5 gal bucket with a trash bag in it IF you had to, not likely going to score you any cuddle time but I'm a pretty die hard minimalist/self proclaimed survivalist. ; ) At least that's my excuse to go fishing and hunting.

On a personal note: I could share a story that would blow most peoples minds and paradigms of any normalcy before it was a Youtube trend. lol
I assume you're replying on the wrong forum?

·
Registered
2020 Toyota RAV4 LE (Hybrid) AWD
41 Posts
I assume you're replying on the wrong forum?

Negative, was a poorly proofread comment in reference to the needs of a toilet but it appears before saving a chunk was deleted making it seem really out of context... My bad. I'll try to correct it later as I recall the thoughts.

·
Registered
12 Posts

What does the mileage end up being?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2019 Adventure that I typically average 34-35 mpg on a 460 mile round trip I make every few weeks. I have a small trailer I will pull occasionally that weighs around 1000 lbs loaded. When pulling the trailer my mileage usually drops to 24-25 mpg. The impact is definitely felt more when breaking than when accelerating. It pulls it easily and has no problems stopping but you you can definitely feel the difference when braking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts