Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gotcha, I guess I always just assumed. That’s very good info to know, appreciate the write up, I want to know every inch about the car and familiarize myself long term mechanically.
get under the car where the passenger back door is you will see the exhaust just after the cat back there are two nuts take them off pull out the bolts and your exhaust will open a little bit making a gap you just need two nuts slightly bigger than the bolts put them in between the exhaust opening stick the bolts back through screw them back in and you now have a gap turn the car on wait for the idle to drop and you have a nice sound not too loud but not quiet, even though there is now a half inch gap the exhaust still travels out the muffler tip, i know from seeing it on a frosty morning, so there no exhaust leak under the rav

·
Registered
2020 XSE Silver/Black Hybrid
252 Posts
can you take a pic of the welds? i am curious if it helps to seal off the open parts

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 XLE AWD
7 Posts
So they cut roughly 2 inches of the exhaust on both and welded on adapter pieces that joined the smaller OEM pipe to the tips. They sealed it up really nice and there are no leaks anywhere

·
Registered
2020 XSE Silver/Black Hybrid
252 Posts
i sawed off about 3.5" off the stock pipe up to the part where it changes the size. I was tempted to weld or find something to fill in the holes

·
Registered
'19 Rav4 XLE Hybrid--Magnetic Gray Metallic
130 Posts
I was browsing around the Toyota website and noticed that they now offer an add-on Black Chrome Exhaust Tip. I'd love to see these on a Rav4 as I've been itching to upgrade the ugly stock exhaust tips.

If anyone finds the part # for this exhaust tips, please let me know.

·
Registered
108 Posts
With having the hybrid, I'd love to have a less restricted exhaust just so that it gets better gas mileage. But, I like how quite it is.
I really doubt you’d ever get your money back from any increase in mileage, and it would screw up the EGR* system and throw codes. If there was any reasonable efficiency to be had by reducing back pressure, Toyota would have already designed it that way as it helps their CARB and EPA fleet average.

With lower back pressure, flow through the EGR valve would be reduced and it would need to be recalibrated. There’s also a possibility that the exhaust valves on the cylinders would not close completely and would leak the next fuel/air mixture on each cycle*.

*there’s a good YouTube video on this

·
Registered
122 Posts
I thought about removing the exhaust pipe tips to dip them black but there was plenty of room to do them in place.

Following day I did the pipes and muffler underbelly with a matte black.

I noticed that anytime I was while driving around and got behind a RAV4 that I could see the exhaust pipes and the big silver/grayish muffler.

Using the matte black it now has “Disappeared”

Total cost for this mod: $15

Before

After

Rear view

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I thought about removing the exhaust pipe tips to dip them black but there was plenty of room to do them in place.

Following day I did the pipes and muffler underbelly with a matte black.

I noticed that anytime I was while driving around and got behind a RAV4 that I could see the exhaust pipes and the big silver/grayish muffler.

Using the matte black it now has “Disappeared”

Total cost for this mod: $15

Before

After

Rear view
Did you spray paint them with HD paint?

·
Registered
122 Posts
cant imagine plastidip holding up to heat but we shall see
The tailpipe tips barely get warm. They have a big air gap between them and the pipe. Drove the car for 45 minutes and as soon as I parked I touched them expecting it to be really hot but much to my surprise I was able to wrap my hand/palm around them and they were lukewarm

I had a half of can of Gray leftover from yrs ago when I did the strut bar on my ZL1. Now that Beast of a motor got crazy HOT.

And same thing, the dip held up perfectly. No peeling or melting, no discoloration, nothing. It looked the same yrs later as the day I dipped it.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Did the tips with Gray Plasti-Dip

Pic of the matte black spray paint below

Cool how did you manage to spray paint underneath? Did you tape all around muffler?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Cool how did you manage to spray paint underneath? Did you tape all around muffler?
Wrapped the exhaust pipe with newspaper/sale fliers and hung pieces wherever I didn’t want any dip. Did the tips first and next day I wrapped them with a piece of paper and put some paper up and around the muffler.

Took the matte black and did the pipes and underbelly of the muffler. Took long to tape the paper in place, probably less than an hour total time

If you zoom in on the rear view pic I posted you can see the pipe and muffler are now black

Look underneath and you’ll be surprised how much space there is and how easily you can reach everything

Now if you put it on a lift you’ll see that the front side of the muffler is still original/untouched. But it doesn’t show so I didn’t see a point in painting all of it

21 - 40 of 43 Posts