Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my heat shield fell off on the hwy. Took it to the nearest Toyota dealer in northern Mexico and they told me (1) the part is toast (2) it is not in stock and (3) you can safely drive home to southern Mexico without it. So I asked, do I need to carry this large, broken, dirty part all the way home with me? No, they say, but lets take some pics of the damaged part. Now the dealer at home won't honor the warranty because I don't have the damaged part. Aside from the crap service quality issue (a fight for another day) - do I really need this thing. I've driven the car a couple of thousand miles without it ... wondering if it is worth the fight.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would say take it home for the ride. Just wrap in some newspaper.

You ever hear the expression Woulda Shoulha Coulda

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would say take it home for the ride. Just wrap in some newspaper.

You ever hear the expression Woulda Shoulha Coulda
true dat ... prob is I left it. it is 1200 miles from here. so the real question is do I bother replacing it since the dealer here is being shitty about it

·
Registered
11 Posts
Im on the side of saying Yes ,it has a purpose and is needed for safety. The floor may get pretty hot. Maybe you need to find a friendly Toyota dealer .

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Premium. Made in Canada (the car, not me)
6 Posts
OK, there's no way to say this without sounding like a smart*ss, but Toyota cut petty costs by not even including illuminated window switches, so Im guessing they spent money on the heat shield for a reason. I'm no engineer but even if you don't notice an immediate difference, the long term effect may be the reason engineers (or lawyers) convinced Toyota to include it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
heat shield fell off ... do I really need this thing. I've driven the car a couple of thousand miles without it ... wondering if it is worth the fight.
1) Definition of “shield”: a device or part that serves as a protective cover or barrier
2) If a heat shield was optional/NOT NECESSARY, don‘t you think ALL the auto makers would choose NOT to install it? Think of the cost savings of materials/install labor/weight reduction. Cars used to come w/ full size spares. Now compact donut is the norm IF you are lucky. Some cars today lack even the donut spare. Why do the auto makes do this? weight savings = better MPG, and cost savings = more profit for auto maker.
3) Read this link: Do I REALLY need to replace that busted exhaust heat shield?

·
Registered
172 Posts
How on earth does a heat shield fall off on a vehicle that is only a couple years old? I would say it is required as there might be more sensitive components it was shielding from the heat of the exhaust.

Reactions: paulsigler244

·
Registered
36 Posts
How on earth does a heat shield fall off on a vehicle that is only a couple years old? I would say it is required as there might be more sensitive components it was shielding from the heat of the exhaust.
I agree like fuel or brake lines.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
true dat ... prob is I left it. it is 1200 miles from here. so the real question is do I bother replacing it since the dealer here is being shitty about it
I guess the biggest question is, why did you leave it behind. I would find their phone number and see if they still have it. It sounds like it might be worth a road trip to go get it if for no other purpose to throw it ... give it back to Toyota so they can see why it fell off. I'm with the others, it was installed for a reason so it should be put back into place even if it has to be replaced with a new one under warranty, which means you will need the old one.

·
Registered
348 Posts
My biggest question/concern is why did it fall off in the first place. It usually rattles off when they get rusted. I just checked mine and it's a very soft material, but still need some force to crush it out of the bolts.

Maybe contact email/call the first Toyota dealer and explain the situation with the second and see what they can do. Always escalate to the next level as needed.

I am not sure this is really a home DIY. Maybe a junkyard find or here are the parts:
Looks like it's held on, only via 3 bolts (with integrated over sized washers).

·
Registered
537 Posts
I would tell the dealer it flew off while going over a bridge and landed in the water below and there was no way to retrieve it. Or it was picked up by a semi going the other direction and was impossible to get.

It is definitely needed probably not traveling down the highway but if you are stuck in a traffic jam the heat will damage the underside.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would tell the dealer it flew off while going over a bridge and landed in the water below and there was no way to retrieve it. Or it was picked up by a semi going the other direction and was impossible to get.

It is definitely needed probably not traveling down the highway but if you are stuck in a traffic jam the heat will damage the underside.
oh believe me ... picking it up was totally stupid. I've escalated to Toyota mex HQ. we shall see. such dickheads.
My biggest question/concern is why did it fall off in the first place. It usually rattles off when they get rusted. I just checked mine and it's a very soft material, but still need some force to crush it out of the bolts.

Maybe contact email/call the first Toyota dealer and explain the situation with the second and see what they can do. Always escalate to the next level as needed.

I am not sure this is really a home DIY. Maybe a junkyard find or here are the parts:
Looks like it's held on, only via 3 bolts (with integrated over sized washers).
Exactly ... car only has 35k kms. Not impressed that it would lose parts. Escalating to Toyota HQ in Mexico City.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess the biggest question is, why did you leave it behind. I would find their phone number and see if they still have it. It sounds like it might be worth a road trip to go get it if for no other purpose to throw it ... give it back to Toyota so they can see why it fell off. I'm will the others, it was installed for a reason so it should be put back into place even if it has to be replaced with a new one under warranty, which means you will need the old one.
I left it because the dealer said I could. home dealer says no part no fix. idiots. crap support. no flexibility. customer satisfaction? foreign concept. at this point I'm considering the escalation process sport. not a chance I'm spending a penny to replace this thing. I'll let the car catch on fire first.

·
Super Moderator
10,972 Posts
If it was mounted underneath the muffler, and that's my guess, the main issue would be setting grass on fire if you park or drive offroad. So that's likely not a big deal.
If it was on top of the muffler you could have a very serious issue with overheating the floor as others have mentioned.

·
Registered
129 Posts
A possible solution would be to contact the dealer that took possession of the heat shield and have them send an email or fax to your dealer that the heat shield fell off and was left there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
1) Definition of “shield”: a device or part that serves as a protective cover or barrier
2) If a heat shield was optional/NOT NECESSARY, don‘t you think ALL the auto makers would choose NOT to install it? Think of the cost savings of materials/install labor/weight reduction. Cars used to come w/ full size spares. Now compact donut is the norm IF you are lucky. Some cars today lack even the donut spare. Why do the auto makes do this? weight savings = better MPG, and cost savings = more profit for auto maker.
3) Read this link: Do I REALLY need to replace that busted exhaust heat shield?
The world is a far less interesting place without Tom and Ray.

When David Attenborough is gone I'm not sure there will be any point in going on.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Drive hard and fast for a while - then go park on some leaves in front of the dealer.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I used to heat wrap my headers when i had sports cars. They sell heat wrap online i dont know if thats a cheaper or long term solution. Thinking back i cant even remember why i thought it would help me go faster. Ceramic headers also kept heat down quite a bit. Posible to ceramic coat an existing exhaust i have no idea. Cant you just buy some new bolts and blue loctite the screws and put the old heat shield back?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts