Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2019 RAV4 Hybrid Limited Edition so it has most of the bell and whistles. Imagine when neither I nor the dealership could get the Entune 3.0 phone system to save my phone contact list. I have a fairly new (last generation) Samsung S9 smart phone, and the dealership says that the phone is the problem. When I first noticed the problem, I checked the compatibility list and the 2009 Samsung model was as compatible as the 2008. We tried using my phone on a 2020 RAV4 and it worked fine with the 2020. The dealership tried it with iPhones and the Entune software worked there. I should also say that my wife has an identical phone and the 2019 RAV4's Entune system doesn't work with it either. To add to the frustration, I was told that there weren't any differences between the 2019 and 2020 models and I just learned that the salesperson lied and the 2020 RAV4 Hybrid Limited Edition has a standard Premium sound system whereas the 2019 did not. No one can do anything about this now, but I would appreciate hearing from other Samsung smart phone owners and 2019 RAV4 owners. Are you having the same problem as I am?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you. I'm new to this and didn't even notice that it related to a specific span of year models. Now if I can just find 4.5.

·
Super Moderator
9,413 Posts
Moved to 4.5 Interior

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm going from memory here but when pairing your phone via Bluetooth you'll need to ensure you've enabled contact sharing.

Does your Bluetooth connection for your RAV4 have these settings? I have a Nokia 7.1 with Android 10 but yours should be similar?

I have a 2019 also and mine works a-ok so it might just be an overlooked checkbox. 🙂

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First of all, let me thank you for putting all that effort into your response. Let me begin by saying my phone has Android 9 installed and that may explain why your first screenshot looks different than mine. When I click on what looks like the settings icon on my paired RAV4, my third option is called Contact access and it is ON, as is message access, which by the way does show on my RAV4 screen. The system even has the ability to display the contents of a selected message and read it, and quite well at that. So my phone's Bluetooth RAV4 settings screen says it is allowing access. And one more piece of evidence - this same phone and my wife's identical phone can transfer and display contacts to our current 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe and our previous 2017 Hyundai Sonata. So I find it difficult to believe it is the phone's fault.

I just went outside and tried to duplicate the screen shots you made from inside your RAV4. The first one was no problem with the only difference being mine said Bob's Galaxy S9. What I can't find on my car is the second and third screens you provided. How do you access them? Please, step by step. Finally, your final screen looks different than mine. Your screen shot takes up the full display. Mine only partially takes up the screen. To the left, I display the menu items History, Favorites, Contacts, Keypad, Select Device, Message. I'll try to attach a screen shot. And mine does not say Automatic Transfer at the top; mine displays the device name. Finally, mine goes through the process of transferring 353 contacts. but as soon as it displays 353/353 contacts transferred, it then momentarily displays a one line message saying "There was a problem transferring contacts. Please try again." But regardless of how many times I've tried, and the salesman tried and the service department tried, no one was ever able to transfer the contacts to the car.

I am suspicious that I do not have the most current display version in my car, given the difference in our displays, and that may be
RAV4 20200207_194212.jpg
RAV4 20200207_194519.jpg
RAV4 20200207_194229.jpg
my problem. Do you know how to check for the display software version? I would have thought that the dealership would have checked that, but no one has suggested that as the problem. What size screen do you have? I have the larger screen found on XLE and Limited Editions. Are you using Toyota's Entune 3.0 software on your phone?

Thank you for your interest and help. If indeed it is a display software issue, at least I'll have your photos to take to the Toyota dealership (again) to make my case.

BTW you might notice that the time displays in 24 hour format. I've changed it numerous times to the 12 hour format but every time I restart the car, it goes back to 24 hour time. It bothers me but not as much as the contact list.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey! So I have the base 7 inch head unit (not plus or premium) I have a no frills XLE. You can access those menus by hitting the menu physical button then Setup -> Phone. One is under "Connect Phone" make sure both little icons are that light blue. You can also tap your phone name in this menu to see the screenshot as it is above.

The other screenshot is under Menu Button -> Setup -> Phone -> Contacts/Call History then Automatic Transfer.

Judging from your screenshot it seems as if your head unit is having trouble with contact #216 which is causing it to fail. Does it always stop there or is it a different number each time? If the former it might be something like a special character in the contact name that is bugging out the head unit (this is just an uneducated guess but worth investigating just for troubleshooting sake)

Finally, you can check your software version under Menu -> Setup -> General -> Software Update. I have version 1008 installed which I believe is current for USA base non-JBL/non-navigation units.

I do have Entune 3.0 installed on my phone. In Android 10 the software does not need to Auto launch , it seems to run as a service now and doesn't hijack my phone screen when it pairs. I really only use it for the iHeart Radio app on the dash screen. I also do not use the media port, I charge via a 12v plug to USB to avoid the screen hijack. Entune 3.0 isn't needed if you don't use the head unit apps, the phone and contacts work via native Bluetooth.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Also, I've read about others having the issue of being stuck in military time on the head unit. I've been lucky so far and have not had that problem, but maybe someone with more knowledge on that issue could help out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey! So I have the base 7 inch head unit (not plus or premium) I have a no frills XLE. You can access those menus by hitting the menu physical button then Setup -> Phone. One is under "Connect Phone" make sure both little icons are that light blue. You can also tap your phone name in this menu to see the screenshot as it is above.

The other screenshot is under Menu Button -> Setup -> Phone -> Contacts/Call History then Automatic Transfer.

Judging from your screenshot it seems as if your head unit is having trouble with contact #216 which is causing it to fail. Does it always stop there or is it a different number each time? If the former it might be something like a special character in the contact name that is bugging out the head unit (this is just an uneducated guess but worth investigating just for troubleshooting sake)

Finally, you can check your software version under Menu -> Setup -> General -> Software Update. I have version 1008 installed which I believe is current for USA base non-JBL/non-navigation units.

View attachment 149377

I do have Entune 3.0 installed on my phone. In Android 10 the software does not need to Auto launch , it seems to run as a service now and doesn't hijack my phone screen when it pairs. I really only use it for the iHeart Radio app on the dash screen. I also do not use the media port, I charge via a 12v plug to USB to avoid the screen hijack. Entune 3.0 isn't needed if you don't use the head unit apps, the phone and contacts work via native Bluetooth.
Sorry about the confusion with Contact #216. It doesn't fail there. It reads all 353 contacts and then fails with the message shown on one of my screen shots. One of the first things that my service department theorized was that I had a contact with a special character in it that might throw off the software. A scan of the contacts showed no such contact name. I will try to get to the menu screens you showed me using the instructions you provided. And I'll check my software version and compare it to yours. I didn't mention it before, but the phone compatibility list no longer includes the Samsung Galaxy S9 as a compatible phone. When I first bought the car and checked the list, the S9 was listed as being compatible. I really don't have any hopes that Toyota Corp will ever fix the problem. After all, what is the incentive? It's a 2019 model problem associated with one specific phone. So much for a warranty that's not worth the paper it is written on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I can understand your frustrations with Toyota's attitude toward technology. After all the 2020s have Android Auto and us 2019s are left in the cold! 😛

Where are you viewing the phone comparability list at? I have a small number of contacts on my phone, I'm curious to know if the 2019s have some kind of hard limit on how high a number it can store?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Initially, I found the list on their site somewhere. At the point that I was told it was no longer compatible, I was at the dealership and the service manager showed me the list on his computer. Before I even tried going back to the dealership, I called the Toyota customer support phone number. The lady there did tell me that the 2019 RAV4 did have a 200 number contact list limit. I didn't want to remove 153 contacts just to see if she was right so I went back to the dealership. They told me that there was no such limit, and they used the managers iPhone 8 to show me that it could load more than 200 numbers. Of course, no one else in the dealership had a Galaxy S9 so we never could see whether another Galaxy S9 could load a large list. I should call that support number again and see what they say this time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hmm. Yeah that's very strange, I mean a phone is a phone, it usually has more to do with the profiles the Bluetooth chip/device supports.

Here is what my profiles are for my Nokia 7.1, can you compare your GS9 to see if it has the same support? Menu -> Setup -> Bluetooth -> Registered Device -> Tap Phone Name -> Device Info then scroll down.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I purchased a 2019 RAV4 Hybrid Limited Edition so it has most of the bell and whistles. Imagine when neither I nor the dealership could get the Entune 3.0 phone system to save my phone contact list. I have a fairly new (last generation) Samsung S9 smart phone, and the dealership says that the phone is the problem. When I first noticed the problem, I checked the compatibility list and the 2009 Samsung model was as compatible as the 2008. We tried using my phone on a 2020 RAV4 and it worked fine with the 2020. The dealership tried it with iPhones and the Entune software worked there. I should also say that my wife has an identical phone and the 2019 RAV4's Entune system doesn't work with it either. To add to the frustration, I was told that there weren't any differences between the 2019 and 2020 models and I just learned that the salesperson lied and the 2020 RAV4 Hybrid Limited Edition has a standard Premium sound system whereas the 2019 did not. No one can do anything about this now, but I would appreciate hearing from other Samsung smart phone owners and 2019 RAV4 owners. Are you having the same problem as I am?
Somewhere in here there is a string of 'some' Samsung 9's including my Note 9 that would not transfer the contacts into the Limited w/Premium Audio & JBL speakers. It would try to load them and stop at #54 or some such number then after about 3 reboots would go to black screen until car was shutdown and started again. Yet the phones would pair on Toyotas with cheaper radios. Yesterday morning my Note 9 received a completely new OS and I tried it again. For the 1st time since May when I got my car, it accepts all of the contacts now. Check your phone and see if it can download the latest update. You may find your problem fixed after that. Good luck.
Note: it was only with a small number of 9 models and mostly the Note 9 and the better (questionable) radio.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, Jim. I'll see if my S9's OS needs an update. I have an old Galaxy S5 and I tried today to see if that phone had any more success in transferring the contacts. So I paired the phone with the car and tried the contact transfer. No luck. Same message as with the S9. Then I remembered that the Toyota customer service phone contact had said that there was a limit of 200 contacts. So given that my contact list was old on my S5, I deleted enough to get down to 93 contacts and went to the car to try the transfer again. Same results. No go. So before I go much further, I can tell you that my S9 has Android Version 9 on it last updated in December 2019. Would you mind checking your Note 9's Android OS version number? I know there is a Version 10 available on newer phones but I don't know whether I can upgrade to Android Version 10. If you did, then I should be able to do it too. Thank you for trying to help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, Jim. I'll see if my S9's OS needs an update. I have an old Galaxy S5 and I tried today to see if that phone had any more success in transferring the contacts. So I paired the phone with the car and tried the contact transfer. No luck. Same message as with the S9. Then I remembered that the Toyota customer service phone contact had said that there was a limit of 200 contacts. So given that my contact list was old on my S5, I deleted enough to get down to 93 contacts and went to the car to try the transfer again. Same results. No go. So before I go much further, I can tell you that my S9 has Android Version 9 on it last updated in December 2019. Would you mind checking your Note 9's Android OS version number? I know there is a Version 10 available on newer phones but I don't know whether I can upgrade to Android Version 10. If you did, then I should be able to do it too. Thank you for trying to help.
Just tried a software update and got a message that my software is up to date. I will try to find out if I can install Version 10 on my phone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just tried a software update and got a message that my software is up to date. I will try to find out if I can install Version 10 on my phone.
Found out that Version 10 is in beta release right now for the S9. So I'm stuck for now.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Bob, I just checked and my latest update installed Android version 10. I have the Note 9 SM-N96OU. Hope this helps and I'm glad it worked. Love this phone now :)
Note; the contacts w/photos even show the photo now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe I'll got to my T-Mobile service provider and ask them to update my phone to Version 10. Even if they can't/won't, I imagine it's only a matter of time before the version update is ready for the S9. Thanks for the info. It gives me a glimmer of hope.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts