Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm having a hard time gauging If I'm having a problem or not. Typically I fill up right when the gas light comes on. I'll put in about 37L and the car shows that the tank is at F when I'm done.
I think you're good.. in my experience when the gauge is at E I’m are down to About 2.5 gallons. When the light comes on I have about 4.5. I trust at the gauge And ignore DTE..

·
Registered
737 Posts
I'm having a hard time gauging If I'm having a problem or not. Typically I fill up right when the gas light comes on. I'll put in about 37L and the car shows that the tank is at F when I'm done.
When the low fuel light comes on, usually there is 50km left on the DTE. I've done about 10 fill-ups so far, and most of the time, I've driven close to DTE=0 (sometimes beyond, sometimes with a few km left, but always after the low fuel light comes on). I've mostly been able to get around 42-43L back into the tank. However, for the last 2 fill-ups, the first click tripped at around 40L. I'm not sure if the cooler temperature is affecting this.

You can click on the Fuelly banner in my signature for details of my fill-ups.

·
Registered
19 Posts
In Oz, Japan built, no problem filling right to the top, noticed plastic filler insert holds the nozzle high in the filling tube.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I Have premium Model and I havent never got any filling problems with IT. I use tankcap as limiter when I tank. JTM and 10 000 km left behind. 2 clicks and it IS overfow full.

And this LENOVO 8 pad IS just racing stupid Android Genius corresponding idiot.
Racing IS fuccing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just got mine 2 weeks ago and still have 200 miles to empty. It did have 1/4 tank when I went to pick it up. The sales rep took me around back to their pump and filled it up. I was aware of some potential gas tank issues, but it filled it up and the gauge was a little past the full mark. Miles to empty then reset to 530.

In a week or two I will do my official first full up and report back.

According to the MPG indicator I am getting 39mpg which is great in the hilly area I live south of Nashville. I traded in my 8.5 year old Lexus CT200h that I loved (averaged 45mpg in that). But I really like the extra room in the RAV4 along with all the improved safety features.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Last two fill ups 5.6 gallons and 9.1 gallons respectably average mpg 39.72 and 39.78.

If I can get that close calculating mpg with two fill ups I am filling the tank the correct way.

Above full both times.

I had the same problem at first filling to 7/8 full.

The secret is to slow the flow and pull the nozzle out enough so the splash guard is a couple inches from touching the neck of the tank.

You must allow the air to escape the tank at the same rate the fuel is entering the tank if you want a full tank.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a Canadian made Hybrid Limited that I don't think has the problem. Regularily takes 8ish gallons and fills to full when I refill with 1/4 tank left. FWIW- I saw my sales guy when I took my car in for 5K service and he specifically asked me if I was able to fill my fuel tank to full because he had a couple of owners that couldn't. He said that "Toyota has determined that the fuel float was set too low on some 2019s" and that "there should be be a recall notice issued to address it under warranty shortly".

·
Registered
46 Posts
Driving to Florida. Hubby figured out a fix. While adding gas he shook the car and was able to get 11.6 gallons in. We had just had the low fuel light come on.
Before lucky to get 8 gallons if empty.

·
Registered
46 Posts
He has some strength, did some good shaking. 11.6 is way better than the 7.6 it stopped on, with low fuel light on. Still had 500 miles to go

·
Registered
601 Posts
I can put about 45L with the light on. My buddy has one too and does the same thing as yours. Put's about 35-40L when light come on and can slowly add another 5-10L slowly without overfilling, although the gage shows over the F with only the 35L.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Last two fill ups 5.6 gallons and 9.1 gallons respectably average mpg 39.72 and 39.78.

If I can get that close calculating mpg with two fill ups I am filling the tank the correct way.

Above full both times.

I had the same problem at first filling to 7/8 full.

The secret is to slow the flow and pull the nozzle out enough so the splash guard is a couple inches from touching the neck of the tank.

You must allow the air to escape the tank at the same rate the fuel is entering the tank if you want a full tank.
Sorry, I call BS. To truly NOT have this problem, no screwing around during fill up is allowed!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Your car is fine. We are all getting about the same.
enjoy Your new car and don’t listen to propagandists
I call BS.
A. This is supposed to be for owners to report they DO NOT have this issue. It’s easy to know if you don’t. Just fill up to full and drive off with no screwing around.
B. Insulting that you accuse anyone of propaganda. If you don’t have this problem, great for you. If you do, there’s another thread available to you.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I call BS.
A. This is supposed to be for owners to report they DO NOT have this issue. It’s easy to know if you don’t. Just fill up to full and drive off with no screwing around.
B. Insulting that you accuse anyone of propaganda. If you don’t have this problem, great for you. If you do, there’s another thread available to you.
“dogs are barking but the caravan moves on“

oouuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

61 - 80 of 119 Posts