·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #81

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2019 Hybrid XSE, when im filling up, the car will stop fueling at around 9 or 10 gallons and I would need to manually add more...

(Now, I usually fill up around 50 mpg left to empty and fill up to 12 - 13 gallons total, * 500-mile drive range)

I spoke with my dealership because I use to get around 400 miles of drive range per fill. I mentioned the 600 miles total drive range that was advertised. I was directed to parts and spoke with a senior technician and was told that it is a safety feature designed by Toyota to prevent possible "damage" to the vehicle. * he also mentioned that where and how you drive affects mileage*. I was advised that the TOTAL FUEL CAPACITY is 14.5 GALLONS and he said I could FILL UP TO 13 GALLONS and be safe and get a higher drive mile range. BUT... He also said to BE SURE to know how much fuel is in the tank before pushing a fill up to 13 gallons or more.

I've had the RAV4 for 3 months and refueled like this for 2 and had no problems.

Hopes this helps!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2019 Hybrid XSE, when im filling up, the car will stop fueling at around 9 or 10 gallons and I would need to manually add more...

(Now, I usually fill up around 50 mpg left to empty and fill up to 12 - 13 gallons total, * 500-mile drive range)

I spoke with my dealership because I use to get around 400 miles of drive range per fill. I mentioned the 600 miles total drive range that was advertised. I was directed to parts and spoke with a senior technician and was told that it is a safety feature designed by Toyota to prevent possible "damage" to the vehicle. * he also mentioned that where and how you drive affects mileage*. I was advised that the TOTAL FUEL CAPACITY is 14.5 GALLONS and he said I could FILL UP TO 13 GALLONS and be safe and get a higher drive mile range. BUT... He also said to BE SURE to know how much fuel is in the tank before pushing a fill up to 13 gallons or more.

I've had the RAV4 for 3 months and refueled like this for 2 and had no problems.

Hopes this helps!
Let me clarify what the service manager was talking about. It's generally a good idea to not completely empty the fuel tank each time -- the fuel in the tank serves a secondary purpose to cool the fuel pump, and if you push it too low then you can (in the long-term) damage the pump. And, since the pump is inside the tank, it's a somewhat expensive fix. So while you can theoretically get 14.5 * 40 = 580 miles on a tank of gas, that's not something that should be done regularly.

His recommendation that you can drive until there's like 1.5 gallons left makes sense. And, theoretically, that's the way the car is designed: the low fuel light comes on at about 2.2, and the "distance to empty" is about 30 miles/0.75 gallons after that, or about 1.5 left. This gives a usable range of approximately 500 miles per tank (assuming 40 MPG, though this can vary greatly).

If that's describes what your car is doing, awesome! Enjoy your vehicle. Refill 12-13 gallons after the light comes on and before DTE hits 0, and know that you could theoretically go another 50-60 miles after that in an emergency.

Though, for some of us, following that guidance actually results in a range of about 400 miles and filling up with 9.5-10 gallons of fuel since the gauge seems to be miscalibrated. There's no way to "BE SURE to know how much fuel is in the tank" because the gauge is useless after this point: you have to estimate based on the odometer and the MPG. It's even worse for those where the pumps turn off before the gauge reads full (they have no clue at all how much gas is in the tank).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I usually buy gas when I see it drop under half a tank and I have not had any issues getting the tank to full. I have not run the tank to empty yet - should I try it see if it is affected?

·
Registered
420 Posts
I usually buy gas when I see it drop under half a tank and I have not had any issues getting the tank to full. I have not run the tank to empty yet - should I try it see if it is affected?
That’s 1000% up to you obviously. You don’t have to go all the way to E, just until the Fuel light comes on. You should at least 12 gallons in at that point.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Drove 73 miles.

Filled my XLE took .83 of a gallon.

Something in the neck prevented me from inserting the nozzle all the way into the tank.

I lowered the back hatch, closed the fuel lid pushed the button again and put a total of 1.56 gallons into the tank which is consistent with the fuel milage

The DTE did not reset nor the average miles per tank.

The fuel gauge was still on full before and after fill up

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello,

As requested. I have a Japanese made (August 6th, 2019) Hybrid AWD. I have driven about 4000km and filled the tank now six times. Always have been able to fill to the full. Fuel gauge always past full until about 200km. All in all, no problems at all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Let me clarify what the service manager was talking about. It's generally a good idea to not completely empty the fuel tank each time -- the fuel in the tank serves a secondary purpose to cool the fuel pump, and if you push it too low then you can (in the long-term) damage the pump. And, since the pump is inside the tank, it's a somewhat expensive fix. So while you can theoretically get 14.5 * 40 = 580 miles on a tank of gas, that's not something that should be done regularly.

His recommendation that you can drive until there's like 1.5 gallons left makes sense. And, theoretically, that's the way the car is designed: the low fuel light comes on at about 2.2, and the "distance to empty" is about 30 miles/0.75 gallons after that, or about 1.5 left. This gives a usable range of approximately 500 miles per tank (assuming 40 MPG, though this can vary greatly).

If that's describes what your car is doing, awesome! Enjoy your vehicle. Refill 12-13 gallons after the light comes on and before DTE hits 0, and know that you could theoretically go another 50-60 miles after that in an emergency.

Though, for some of us, following that guidance actually results in a range of about 400 miles and filling up with 9.5-10 gallons of fuel since the gauge seems to be miscalibrated. There's no way to "BE SURE to know how much fuel is in the tank" because the gauge is useless after this point: you have to estimate based on the odometer and the MPG. It's even worse for those where the pumps turn off before the gauge reads full (they have no clue at all how much gas is in the tank).
That must be frustrating. You would think that with the amount you are spending on the vehicle it would be problem-free. Hopefully, a solution is in works and the problems are addressed in a timely manner.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Finally got to fill up my tank for the 1st time after 3-1/2 weeks of owning my 2019 RAV4 XSE built in Canada. Here are the details:

Fuel warning light came on at 30 MTE.

Filled when it showed 12 MTE

MPG for this first tank showed 38.7. Did not calculate actual MPG as I forget to note how many miles were on car when picked up.

Put in fuel pump nozzle and then pulled it back slightly as I could see it was a tight fit and I wanted to be sure air could vent out as tank filled.

Pumped in gas at full speed on pump handle. It clicked at 11.95 gallons. I pumped in for 2 quick additional clicks for a total of 12.3 gallons. So there were about 2.2 gallons left in the tank when I started filling based on 14.5 gallon tank - 12.3 gallon fill up.

After starting car, MTE shows 511 miles. If there will be about 2 - 2.5 gallons left when MTE hits 0, and a 40mpg average the total range would be about 600 miles.

I don’t see any issues after fill up #1. Will have to continue monitoring future fill-ups.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Fuel was half full. Price was right. Needed to stop for convenience. Inserted nozzle. Pump nozzle had spiral wound "spring" around top part so was inserted until that contacted the filler plastic. Robust automatic fill. Pump clicked off and sounded like fuel was coming up the neck of the fill tube so I didn't fill further. Started car, needle about two needle widths beyond the F mark. As expected, calculated MPG for this tank was very low but for next one will be unusually high so doesn't affect real MPG over the long term. I use this station often, at least 90% of my fills there are F. I think maybe 3 haven't been. I ignore DTE. June Canada build.

·
Registered
50 Posts
2020 RAV4 XSE built in Canada. First refuel after I bought this car.
Low Fuel warning light came on, car shows on at 24 Miles to empty when I was at the gas station, current mileage is 444
Pumped in gas at full speed. It clicked at 11.41 gallons. Manually pumped to 12.06 gallons.
It shows 550 DTE.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine is Rav4 XSE Hybrid 2019 model, in USA. Its 4000 miles now, never had any fuel filling problem. But i always wondered why it takes only about 10 gallon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Probably should have better defined the problem. Fuel problem means unable to fill the tank at normal pump rate without topping off after first click .

full tank = 14.5 gallons.
Sorry for the newbie post, but I just filled my new 2019 Rav4 Hybrid for the second time and both times it was down to 20 miles left was only able to put in less than 11 gallons. Is this the problem everyone is talking about? I thought I'd read that the capacity was 14.5, so I'm very confused.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Sorry for the newbie post, but I just filled my new 2019 Rav4 Hybrid for the second time and both times it was down to 20 miles left was only able to put in less than 11 gallons. Is this the problem everyone is talking about? I thought I'd read that the capacity was 14.5, so I'm very confused.
Yes, that's essentially the problem. Well, one of the problems, at least.

If your car were working as advertised you'd expect to fill about 12.5 gallons at that point. Even though there's a 14.5 gallon tank, Toyota takes a conservative approach and gives you something like a 1.5 gallon reserve. This helps prevent people from running out of gas and protects the fuel pump (it can be damaged by emptying the tank too far too often). You were 20 miles before this point, or about a half gallon. 14.5 - 1.5 - 0.5 = 12.5 gallons is what you would expect to fill.

But, at least on some vehicles, the gauge seems to be extra conservative on top of this, with over 4 gallons of gas left in the tank at that point so you only fill 10.5 gallons or less.

There's a second problem that's even worse, where the gauge doesn't read as full even though the pump shuts off. Maybe 3/4 or 2/3 full. The open question is whether the gauge is wrong or whether the refueling system is shutting off prematurely. These problems may or may not be related, and it might be that some people are experiencing both.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, that's essentially the problem. Well, one of the problems, at least.

If your car were working as advertised you'd expect to fill about 12.5 gallons at that point. Even though there's a 14.5 gallon tank, Toyota takes a conservative approach and gives you something like a 1.5 gallon reserve. This helps prevent people from running out of gas and protects the fuel pump (it can be damaged by emptying the tank too far too often). You were 20 miles before this point, or about a half gallon. 14.5 - 1.5 - 0.5 = 12.5 gallons is what you would expect to fill.

But, at least on some vehicles, the gauge seems to be extra conservative on top of this, with over 4 gallons of gas left in the tank at that point so you only fill 10.5 gallons or less.

There's a second problem that's even worse, where the gauge doesn't read as full even though the pump shuts off. Maybe 3/4 or 2/3 full. The open question is whether the gauge is wrong or whether the refueling system is shutting off prematurely. These problems may or may not be related, and it might be that some people are experiencing both.
Thank you for the background. I just discovered this forum and the wealth of information. My gauge reads full after filling but my miles to empty is around 450. The first time I filled it up I was thinking maybe the gas station had the pump set for imperial gallons, because 12.1 would be about right. But yesterday I went to a different station and had the same result. Sounds like I should give my dealer a call.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have filled up twice so far (2019 Hybrid LE). Each time when the dispenser handle "popped" I had taken about 10 gallons when filling from about 1/8 tank. And each time the fuel gauge needle was above F. Does this fit the profile?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Thank you for the background. I just discovered this forum and the wealth of information. My gauge reads full after filling but my miles to empty is around 450. The first time I filled it up I was thinking maybe the gas station had the pump set for imperial gallons, because 12.1 would be about right. But yesterday I went to a different station and had the same result. Sounds like I should give my dealer a call.
The miles to empty is calculated based on the MPG you got on the tank before this filling. Then is recalculated while you burn this tank. Manually calculater the MPG over several tanks and see what sort of MPG you are really getting (considering the temperatures in your area) and see how things are really happening. Don't put to much stock in the initial DTE.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have filled up twice so far (2019 Hybrid LE). Each time when the dispenser handle "popped" I had taken about 10 gallons when filling from about 1/8 tank. And each time the fuel gauge needle was above F. Does this fit the profile?
Hard to say. When I fill at 1/8 tank, I'll put in closer to 9 gallons. But with a car working as advertised you'd expect to fill just over 11. You're somewhere between that. Depending on what "about 1/8 tank" means and what "about 10 gallons" means it could go either way.

Next time, wait until the low fuel light comes on, at which point you would expect to fill about 12.3 gallons. Or wait until the distance to empty is 0, and you'd expect to fill about 13 gallons (note "empty" doesn't really mean empty, you'll still have plenty of gas).

81 - 100 of 119 Posts