Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just as a matter of information, please report if you do NOT have and have NEVER had any fuel fill up problem.
I have a Canadian made (Aug 2019) limited and have had no issues refueling.
I have noticed the low fuel light comes on at about 38 litres and not 46.5 litres as per the manual.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My prior car was the Lexus CT200h hybrid. It had an 11.9 gallon tank and driving down to 0-20 MTE would take about 9 gallons to fill the tank. I just assume Toyota likes a “healthy” reserve of about 3 gallons. But filling the Lexus and now my RAV4 always had the fuel gauge register past the Full mark.

I will keep monitoring my RAV4 fill ups as I’ve only done 1 so far.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here is the info from my 2nd fill up.

Location: hilly suburb south of Nashville. Average temps probably in the 40’s - 50’s during this tank.

406 miles driven with 43 MTE remaining. 39.8 mpg on dash. 38.67mpg calculated using 10.5 gallons fill-up (middle of the fill range below). 516 MTE after filling and gauge past Full.

Filled up using auto fill at the Costco pump. Here is how many gallons it took until the 1st click and then each click after when I squeezed the pump handle about 1/3rd of the way.

10.14 - 10.52 - 10.7 - 10.82
Since tank is 14.5 gallons and my fill up was about 10.5 gallons, I had 4 gallons left prior to fill up. With 43MTE remaining I had a little over 1 gallon to burn until MTE = 0. So reserve gas in tank at 0 MTE is a little under 3 gallons.

The above fillup and squeezing of pump a few times after initial click seems about the same compared to when we fill up our Nissan Murano or when I filled up my prior car, Lexus CT200h hybrid. The last 2 clicks were very quick and seemed to be filling up the filler neck only.

I don’t see anything unusual yet - has only been 2 fill ups.

My total range of 406 miles driven plus the 43 MTE give me a range of about 450 MTE. That would leave me with about 3 gallons. At 38.5mpg those last 3 gallons would get me about 115 miles for a total range of about 565 if driven to empty (all 14.5 gallons).

I will see how the MTE number tracks at each fill up. This tank had an original MTE of 511 but actual ended up at about 450. So I guess my actual mpg is less than what they estimated it would be or they are expecting there to be about 1-1.5 gallon less of reserve when MTE hits 0.

Overall I’m pleased with the mpg for a vehicle of this size. Less than the 45mpg I was getting with my CT200h but that was a much smaller car. I can see how they are using the electric motors more in the RAV4 to get some extra mpg. I expect the colder winter months will have a bigger impact on mpg reduction especially since I take a lot of short 5 mile trips and the ICE will run more to warm up the car.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Here is the info from my 2nd fill up.

Location: hilly suburb south of Nashville. Average temps probably in the 40’s - 50’s during this tank.

406 miles driven with 43 MTE remaining. 39.8 mpg on dash. 38.67mpg calculated using 10.5 gallons fill-up (middle of the fill range below). 516 MTE after filling and gauge past Full.

Filled up using auto fill at the Costco pump. Here is how many gallons it took until the 1st click and then each click after when I squeezed the pump handle about 1/3rd of the way.

10.14 - 10.52 - 10.7 - 10.82
Since tank is 14.5 gallons and my fill up was about 10.5 gallons, I had 4 gallons left prior to fill up. With 43MTE remaining I had a little over 1 gallon to burn until MTE = 0. So reserve gas in tank at 0 MTE is a little under 3 gallons.

The above fillup and squeezing of pump a few times after initial click seems about the same compared to when we fill up our Nissan Murano or when I filled up my prior car, Lexus CT200h hybrid. The last 2 clicks were very quick and seemed to be filling up the filler neck only.

I don’t see anything unusual yet - has only been 2 fill ups.

My total range of 406 miles driven plus the 43 MTE give me a range of about 450 MTE. That would leave me with about 3 gallons. At 38.5mpg those last 3 gallons would get me about 115 miles for a total range of about 565 if driven to empty (all 14.5 gallons).

I will see how the MTE number tracks at each fill up. This tank had an original MTE of 511 but actual ended up at about 450. So I guess my actual mpg is less than what they estimated it would be or they are expecting there to be about 1-1.5 gallon less of reserve when MTE hits 0.

Overall I’m pleased with the mpg for a vehicle of this size. Less than the 45mpg I was getting with my CT200h but that was a much smaller car. I can see how they are using the electric motors more in the RAV4 to get some extra mpg. I expect the colder winter months will have a bigger impact on mpg reduction especially since I take a lot of short 5 mile trips and the ICE will run more to warm up the car.
The only problem is that reserve -- it shouldn't be 3 gallons, according to the owner's manual. The low fuel light should come on at 2.2 gallons, with empty being something less than that (maybe around 1.5 gallons).

·
Registered
400 Posts
I was set on buying the Rav4 Hybrid by this summer after my current Jeep lease expires. But one of the features for me was its extended driving range between fill-ups. I can now say that I will NOT be buying the vehicle unless the gas tank issue has been SOLVED.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
I was set on buying the Rav4 Hybrid by this summer after my current Jeep lease expires. But one of the features for me was its extended driving range between fill-ups. I can now say that I will NOT be buying the vehicle unless the gas tank issue has been SOLVED.
Well, it isn’t fixed now so when/if they do get a “fix” at earliest next spring, they’ll be taking a huge amount of time/effort putting those fixes on the ’19/‘20 already owned by us guinea pigs. My guess is it won’t be fixed on the build line til very late ‘20s, early ‘21 models are coming off the line.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The only problem is that reserve -- it shouldn't be 3 gallons, according to the owner's manual. The low fuel light should come on at 2.2 gallons, with empty being something less than that (maybe around 1.5 gallons).
Yes, the manual states "about 2.3 gallons" is needed to fill an empty tank for the low fuel light to go out. I think my light came on at about 30MTE on my first tank. Since I filled at 43MTE I needed to drive about another 13 miles or burn .333 gallons (based on my 39mpg) for the light to come on. That would have put my gas fill up at 10.52 + .333 = 10.853 gallons.

So in my case the 14.5 gallon tank - 10.853 = 3.647 gallons remaining when light would come on. So it seems the low fuel light is coming on about 1.35 gallons early versus what the manual states.

I had something similar with my Lexus CT200h hybrid (and our Nissan Murano also seems to have larger reserve than expected). When I hit 0 MTE on my Lexus CT200h it would take about 9.2 gallons to fill up (11.9 gallon tank capacity) which means a reserve of 2.7 gallons. That would take me another 120 miles until the tank was empty based on 45mpg. I didn't find it to be a big deal... I just realized that 0 MTE meant I had about 2.5 gallons remaining. The annoying part was never knowing how far past 0 MTE I had gone. I always wished it did a negative number countdown past 0 MTE so I knew how much further I could really go.

It sounds like I will have a similar situation with the RAV4 unless they can calibrate the 0 MTE closer to 2.3 gallons stated versus the 3.6 actual. I'll ask at my first service visit if there is any way to re-calibrate or adjust when that low fuel light is triggering. For now I will have to remember I have about 140 miles total reserve (based on 38.5 mpg) until an empty tank once my MTE hits 0. Not much different than what I was doing with my prior car.

I'll post my next couple of fill-ups to see if I start to see any filling issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our 2019 Rav4 Hybrid also experiences problems with filling the tank so that the gas gauge displays "full". About as close as we can get it is about 7/8 to full after the initial gas pump off trigger. Yesterday, while on road trip across state, I drove until the display said I only had 30 more miles until empty. I filled the tank on the slowest pump setting until the pump triggered off. The pump displayed that I had added 9.089 gallons. Manufacturer's specs state that the tank capacity is 14.5 gallons. Again, the fuel gauge showed about 7/8 full. I think Toyota has a safety problem here as this will naturally cause people to keep filling after the pump has been triggered off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Third refueling results.

I decided on this tank to drive past 0 MTE to see how that fill up would work. Below are the results.

492 miles driven on this tank of gas with 30.2 miles driven past 0 MTE.

Pumping gas: 1st clicked off at 11.85 gallons. Then pumped for 3 more “clicks” which happened at 12.20 - 12.46 - 12.73 gallons. Fuel gauge showed past Full after fueling.

39.6mpg shown on dash.
40.32mpg calculated using 12.2 gallons.
39.49mpg using 12.46 gallons.
38.65mpg using 12.73 gallons.

So the tank filled up to about 12.5 gallons after the 3rd click. That means about 2 gallons were left in tank after driving 30 miles past 0 MTE. At 40mpg that is about another 80 miles so about 110 miles able to be driven past 0 MTE.

I’m fine so far with how my fill-ups have been going and is consistent with other cars I have had.

·
Registered
31 Posts
2020 XSE Canada build.
I did several fill ups and each time arrow is past F and calculated range is around 530 (currently averaging 37mpg). I always fill up before it gets to 1/4. At this time it does not look like I have fill up issue. Hopefully this will continue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Do I have the fueling issue?

Low fuel light came on with DTE ~30 miles. Needle was probably 2 lines above the E.
I was able to fill 10.7 gallons until it stopped automatically. Fuel needle is showing slightly more full than the F

·
Registered
304 Posts
Do I have the fueling issue?

Low fuel light came on with DTE ~30 miles. Needle was probably 2 lines above the E.
I was able to fill 10.7 gallons until it stopped automatically. Fuel needle is showing slightly more full than the F
The owner's manual says the low fuel light comes on with approximately 2.2 gallons left. So you would expect to fill 14.5 - 2.2 = 12.3 gallons. Your fill was short of that by 1.6 gallons (meaning, the tank might have had 1.6 gallons to go before full, or you had an extra 1.6 gallons of gas left before the light should have come on, or some combination thereof).

You seem to have a mild version of the problem. For comparison, my car only fills 9.5 or so gallons in the same conditions. And others have it even worse, with the gauge reading below full.

·
Registered
7 Posts
2020 XSE fist fill with about 68 miles DTE. Just under 1/4 tank

10.359 gallons click off.

fuel gauge past full but app shows not filled

·
Registered
9 Posts
2019 XLE - build in Canada - June. 7K miles - have not noticed any issues...yet. Ok today I paid closer attention to the fill - after a "fill up" the approximate distance to empty said 400 miles! I am getting over 40 mpg - so it should have read at least 460. Guess I have a fuel fill problem too.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sure would be nice if Toyota would increase the gas tank by 4-6 gallons, regardless. We've never owned a car or an SUV with a gas tank under 18 gallons... I wonder if the RAV4 Prime (which we're getting) will have a tank as small as 14 gallons or less.

·
Registered
15 Posts
No problems here 6 months old, average mpg all types of driving 47mpg did get 61 on one trip and yes I do tow sometimes
Very happy with the car

·
Registered
9 Posts
Fourth refueling results.

446 miles driven on this tank of gas with 19 DTE shown.

Location is Nashville suburbs - hilly roads. Weather has been warm during this tank. Temperature averaging 45-60 degrees.

Pumping gas: 1st clicked off at 10.77 gallons. Then pumped for 2 more “clicks” which happened at 11.08 - 11.47 gallons. Fuel gauge showed past Full after fueling.

39.8mpg shown on dash.
41.41 mpg calculated using 10.77 gallons.
40.25 mpg using 11.08 gallons.
38.88 mpg using 11.47 gallons.

So the tank filled up to about 11.5 gallons after the 3rd click. That means about 3 gallons were left in tank with 19 miles DTE showing. At 40mpg that is about another 120 miles total range left.

I still show no signs of the gas tank issue / not filling properly. Continue to have great mpg of almost 40mpg.

101 - 119 of 119 Posts