Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am making a quick post for installing a amp with the stock radio without cutting the OEM harness.
I'm sorry if this could look better, this is my first post.

Things you can get if you want to copy or mimic.

Metra MC918-20 / Stereo Speed-Wire

Kicker 45KEY1804 4-channel 45 x 4

2018+ Camry Subwoofer Harness

This will work for the 19' Rav4
This Harness does not have pins for "Remote Turn-On"

If you have an alternate method please let me know.
If you have questions Ill try to respond as soon as I can.
If you have any ideas for a next modification please let me know.

Im sorry i can't post anymore pictures, the site doesn't let me add more.

1. Remove excess wire from TacoTune Harness and cut in half
2. Connect each ends of the Amp Harness to the correct side of the TacoTune Harness.
3. Plug-and-Play
4.Supply Power
5. Kicker Key Only- Tune the Amp

The TacoTune Harness has the correct polarity for the wires on the OEM harness so if you want to cut the wires instead, it can be used as a reference.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is there anyway I can contact you? Like Facebook or anything? You have no idea how thankful I am for your post! I just need a few answers on things

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there anyway I can contact you? Like Facebook or anything? You have no idea how thankful I am for your post! I just need a few answers on things
You can go-ahead and ask. I'm sure others may have similar questions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Would the Kicker 11PXi50.2 Car Amp work as well? It’s similar I believe, I can’t see how the harness attaches to any of them. How many pins? Is it the 10 to 10?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Would the Kicker 11PXi50.2 Car Amp work as well? It’s similar I believe, I can’t see how the harness attaches to any of them. How many pins? Is it the 10 to 10?
Yes, you could install this 2 channel amp into the non-JBL RAV4 and would require 4 pins (either front or rear left/right) out of the 8 pin G4 audio connector.
This being a 25W RMS amp though I would expect not that much more sound out of the pair of speakers you would choose to connect to over the stock @25W output of the head unit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For power I ran a wire from the Positive(+) of the battery through a rubber grommet on the passenger side.
For the signal turn on, The Kicker Key has a feature to auto turn on when it detects audio/voltage coming from the headunit through the speaker wire.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where did you connect ground? Is there a factory ground point on these rav4s?
On the passenger side in the engine compartment, there is a visable grounding point.
When I was routing the power and ground wire, I believe I saw some grounding points behind the dash.

·
Registered
74 Posts
On the passenger side in the engine compartment, there is a visable grounding point.
When I was routing the power and ground wire, I believe I saw some grounding points behind the dash.
Where did you end up mounting your amp? Do you know of any resource that shows how to differentiate ground vs non-ground. I'm debating on mounting it under the front passenger seat or in the trunk cargo area.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where did you end up mounting your amp? Do you know of any resource that shows how to differentiate ground vs non-ground. I'm debating on mounting it under the front passenger seat or in the trunk cargo area.
I mounted my amp above to what I think may be a Body Control Module

For Grounding points, Most from I've seen on the Rav4 has a similer appearance. Grounding center have a multiple white wires gathering at one point and attached to some-sort of bracket to where the bracket itself is making the ground contact.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I mounted my amp above to what I think may be a Body Control Module
View attachment 149549 View attachment 149550

For Grounding points, Most from I've seen on the Rav4 has a similer appearance. Grounding center have a multiple white wires gathering at one point and attached to some-sort of bracket to where the bracket itself is making the ground contact. View attachment 149551 View attachment 149552
Would this be a good grounding point (assuming I figure out how to secure the wire)? It is in the front passenger seat legroom area where it displays the VIN number. Or would the spot where the seat is bolted down be good as well? I'm trying to keep ground on the cabin side of the firewall since I only have a 3ft ground wire. I'm planning to put the amp under the front passenger seat. Also, do you have a picture where you brought power wire from the battery through the firewall? I took a look today and I believe all the wires are entering the cabin through the passenger side but I can't figure out exactly unless I take stuff a part.
WhatsApp Image 2020-02-16 at 3.53.50 PM.jpeg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can you provide a link to the tacotune harness you referenced? Also, I'm confused on what you mean by "remove excess wire and cut in half" can you provide some clarity?

·
Registered
20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
With the TacoTune's harness, there is excess wire you can use to run into a Sub-woofer, that wire isnt necessary if you're just putting an Amp in-line with the Headunit and Speakers.
With the TacoTune harness, I cut in half to splice in the Amp's harness to have a Plug-and-play set up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Heres a Breakdown
The Tacotunes harness has the "Generic"/ standardized wire coloring for speaker.
Depending on the Amp, all you should need to do is-
•Cut harness in half
Optional(Remove Extra Green and Purple wiring if you dont plan to run any wires to the back for a Subwoofers)
•Splice Male Connector of the harness to the Input of the Amp
•Splice Female Connector to the Output of the Amp

Harness wire alone won't reach anywhere. The use of Stereo SpeedWire or equivalent has to be used to extend the reach of the TacoTune Harness.
And the SpeedWire the steps would be, in a simplistic method-
Male Connector --> Speed Wire --> Amp Input --> Amplifier--> Amp Output--> Speed Wire --> Female Connector

·
Registered
2019 RAV4 Hybrid XLE Blue
80 Posts
There is another thread discussing concerns with the amplified signal going through the DCM. Have you observed any issues with the DCM not functioning with the mods you have done?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So far I haven't noticed any problems but I don't use any of the features often. I may be wrong or confused on what exactly you're asking. Can you share the thread you are referring to?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts