Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2019 RAV4 Hybrid XLE Blue
80 Posts
If you choose to amplify all 6 speakers including the 2 dash, keep in mind you could potentially lose the DCM feature if equipped on your RAV4 unless you grab the high-level just before the right-hand dash speaker connector.
[

The arrow up will take you to the quote.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi, I’m from the other thread where I’ve been worried about what might happen if an amplified signal is sent through the DCM. Based on what I’ve read in this thread, you’ve already been sending an amplified signal through yours, but according to @somms (I haven’t actually looked at the specs of the amp you installed) your amp is probably providing roughly similar power levels to the stock head unit amp. Are you powering aftermarket speakers?

The upgrade I’m planning could have upwards of 125W RMS on each channel, so I’m still a little worried about that. Love the proof of concept of the tacotunes harness though. Does anybody know if it matters what year Camry you select when ordering that harness adapter?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
For the harness, it has to be the 2018 Camry.
In my opinion the power level from the headunit feels like low power but I could be wrong. After the Amp was installed, there was a obvious difference with audio and bass. All speakers are still stock with the exception of the rear, both rear speakers got replaced as soon as the driverside rear speaker died and popping started to develop on the passenger side rear.
I was thinking of replacing the remaining speakers since I believe the rear speakers are doing most of the work.
If they're any tests or functions you would like to check out to see if I encounter any issues please let me know

·
Registered
255 Posts
In my opinion the power level from the headunit feels like low power but I could be wrong. After the Amp was installed, there was a obvious difference with audio and bass. All speakers are still stock with the exception of the rear, both rear speakers got replaced as soon as the driverside rear speaker died and popping started to develop on the passenger side rear.
I was thinking of replacing the remaining speakers since I believe the rear speakers are doing most of the work.
If they're any tests or functions you would like to check out to see if I encounter any issues please let me know
The stock Pioneer head unit outputs @20W RMS while the kicker key you installed is 45W RMS which should sound like a big difference...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Right now I have the power for the front speakers limited on the Amp so I won't have a repeat of blowing them but eventually I will replace the remaining 4 stock speakers.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have an amp installed for an 8” JL sub. I just tapped RCAs off the rear speakers. I ran power wire through a grommet in the firewall. I have a ground coming off one of the metal tie downs in the rear. Signal is tapped off the 12v outlet up front. Works great.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry this stuff all makes me nervous but with everything shut down and me with my new speakers on the way and the JBL BassPro Hub just sitting in the trunk of my 2020 RAV4 XLE non JBL system I'm itching to start wiring some stuff up. I haven't found a video of someone taking the door panels off of the '19-20 model and would love a video or some pics if anyone here has them.
I've already swapped out the dash tweeters with 3.5" Infinity Ref. speakers and 400hz bass blockers(that was super easy BTW) it's just getting the door panels off and exactly where to run the 8 gauge power line out to the battery.

I see people talk about a rubber grommet nipple or something but I am worried that I'll snip the wrong thing and mess up the computer system for the car or some other catastrophic screw up . Can someone walk me through the process with pictures or video for a beginner like me? I bought 6.5" SSA Evil midbass/midrange for the front doors and Infinity Ref 6.5" coaxial for the rear doors.

I do have a similar sized amp to the Kicker and was hoping to mount it directly in back of the HU though not sure if there is space enough (Alpine KTP-445A Head Unit Power Pack) but will be holding off on that upgrade for awhile.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!!

·
Registered
2019 RAV4 Hybrid XLE Blue
80 Posts
See my install notes:

·
Registered
2019 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid XLE
15 Posts
Sorry this stuff all makes me nervous but with everything shut down and me with my new speakers on the way and the JBL BassPro Hub just sitting in the trunk of my 2020 RAV4 XLE non JBL system I'm itching to start wiring some stuff up. I haven't found a video of someone taking the door panels off of the '19-20 model and would love a video or some pics if anyone here has them.
I've already swapped out the dash tweeters with 3.5" Infinity Ref. speakers and 400hz bass blockers(that was super easy BTW) it's just getting the door panels off and exactly where to run the 8 gauge power line out to the battery.

I see people talk about a rubber grommet nipple or something but I am worried that I'll snip the wrong thing and mess up the computer system for the car or some other catastrophic screw up . Can someone walk me through the process with pictures or video for a beginner like me? I bought 6.5" SSA Evil midbass/midrange for the front doors and Infinity Ref 6.5" coaxial for the rear doors.

I do have a similar sized amp to the Kicker and was hoping to mount it directly in back of the HU though not sure if there is space enough (Alpine KTP-445A Head Unit Power Pack) but will be holding off on that upgrade for awhile.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!!
I followed this post to remove the door panels

Thanks to @Sunken

And this video to remove panels

·
Registered
19 Posts
I followed this post to remove the door panels

Thanks to @Sunken

And this video to remove panels
Thanks and yeah that video you posted is what gave me the gumption to try this in the first place.(y)

·
Registered
19 Posts
See my install notes:
This is very helpful, thank you! And this stuff is what I need to see: "There are two silver screws that can stay in place and do not need to be removed."

So is this the grommet to snip the nipple and put the power wire through? EDIT:: switched picture to display proper area.::
RAV4 boot yellow.jpg

·
Registered
21 Posts
Heres a Breakdown
The Tacotunes harness has the "Generic"/ standardized wire coloring for speaker.
Depending on the Amp, all you should need to do is-
•Cut harness in half
Optional(Remove Extra Green and Purple wiring if you dont plan to run any wires to the back for a Subwoofers)
•Splice Male Connector of the harness to the Input of the Amp
•Splice Female Connector to the Output of the Amp

Harness wire alone won't reach anywhere. The use of Stereo SpeedWire or equivalent has to be used to extend the reach of the TacoTune Harness.
And the SpeedWire the steps would be, in a simplistic method-
Male Connector --> Speed Wire --> Amp Input --> Amplifier--> Amp Output--> Speed Wire --> Female Connector
I just want to make sure I understand this right. So you bought the TacoTune Harness. Then you took the male connection and connect it to the back of Toyota OEM head unit. Then connect that to long speed wired to reach to the back to your amp. Then for the amp output, did you use male or female? or no connection, just the wires in with screws? then to another speed wire (number 2) to a female connector to be inserted in the male speakers connection that was originally connected to the head unit. How did you know which cable for which speaker? or just plug and play?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
You are correct.
In my case, my amp had it's own harness for both input and output so I just attached the speed wire and ran it back to the original connector for the Headunit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Did you leave the gray wires (uncut) without sending them to the amplifier? The gray wires feed the Front Right + and - Right door and Right dash speakers. Can I send all of them back to the amp and then from the amp back to the female G4 including the gray wires? back to DCM??? Will the amplified signal from the amp damage the DCM?

I got the Taco Tunes harness today and I am tagging and double checking before I start my wiring. Thank you

21 - 40 of 44 Posts