Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a lot of MPG discussions in the Hybrid Forum, but my vehicle is a 2019 RAV4 Limited FWD, that I have been driving for a little over a month. I currently have 768 milew driven, am on the 3rd tank of gas (includes the intial fill-up by the Dealer), and my total MPG at first rose up from 23 to 25 MPG (City and Highway), fluctuated based on the frequency percentage driven for each type of driving, but has now steadily dropped to 24.3 MPG, without any change to type of driving. I know thatt he advertised MPG is never what the Manufacturer states, but I am not getting anywhere near what I would have expected, lower than even the stated City Driving. When the Miles Remaining gets to about 20, I fill-up, and typically put in 12 gallons. That means there should have been approximately 2.5 gallons remaining in the talk, and based on even 24.3 MPG, I should have over 50 miles remaining. Are other 2019 (or other recent years) RAV4 FWD drivers seeing this, and if you have beem driving for awhile, how has the fuel economy improved, or degraded? Thank you!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have read a lot of MPG discussions in the Hybrid Forum, but my vehicle is a 2019 RAV4 Limited FWD, that I have been driving for a little over a month. I currently have 768 milew driven, am on the 3rd tank of gas (includes the intial fill-up by the Dealer), and my total MPG at first rose up from 23 to 25 MPG (City and Highway), fluctuated based on the frequency percentage driven for each type of driving, but has now steadily dropped to 24.3 MPG, without any change to type of driving. I know thatt he advertised MPG is never what the Manufacturer states, but I am not getting anywhere near what I would have expected, lower than even the stated City Driving. When the Miles Remaining gets to about 20, I fill-up, and typically put in 12 gallons. That means there should have been approximately 2.5 gallons remaining in the talk, and based on even 24.3 MPG, I should have over 50 miles remaining. Are other 2019 (or other recent years) RAV4 FWD drivers seeing this, and if you have beem driving for awhile, how has the fuel economy improved, or degraded? Thank you!!!
Virtually every single review of 2019 recommends getting hybrid version of RAV4 , it’s smoother , quieter and most importantly gets significantly better MPG

If fuel efficiency is so important to you why in the world would go opt for non-hybrid version ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Virtually every single review of 2019 recommends getting hybrid version of RAV4 , it’s smoother , quieter and most importantly gets significantly better MPG

If fuel efficiency is so important to you why in the world would go opt for non-hybrid version ?
Since you asked. We started looking for a 2019 RAV4 Limited Hybrid and AWD in July, and there were none to be found in our area, or anywhere within 100 miles. We started to look at other Manufacturers, and always came back to the RAV4. We were also interested in a specific color both exterior and interior, that further complicated the finding. In August we submitted an order for the vehicle and every two weeks the Dealer submitted the request for allocation and every time there was no movement. In October the Dealer received two 2019 that met everything except it was not a Hybrid, and, at this point we didn't really care about the AWD, so, we purchased it. In the meantime, there are still no 2019 or 2020 in our area with the Hybrid. I hope this explains why we bought the non-Hybrid model.

However, your comment still doesn't address why the MPG isn't what should be expected, and, per many posts, the Hybrid also appears not to achieve their stated MPG, even tough better than the FWD Model.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Most hybrids were meeting or exceeding EPA MPG up until cold weather set in. Now they’re below EPA. The gas version is going to be similarly impacted by cold weather. It will get better but not until spring.

My GTI’s MPG is easily down 10% in the cold weather compared to summer.

·
Premium Member
6,720 Posts
Give it some time and miles, winter temps and fuel blend don't help, check tire pressure every 2 weeks, I run mine at 38lbs, got just shy of 36 mpg highway last week in my AWD, been getting 36-37mpg normally since last spring.

·
Registered
60 Posts

Fuel Economy in Cold Weather

Cold weather and winter driving conditions can reduce your fuel economy significantly.

Fuel economy tests show that, in short-trip city driving, a conventional gasoline car's gas mileage is about 12% lower at 20°F than it would be at 77°F. It can drop as much as 22% for very short trips (3 to 4 miles). The effect on hybrids is worse. Their fuel economy can drop about 31% to 34% under these conditions.

Also...

The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) says conventional summer-blend gasoline contains 1.7 percent more energy than winter-blend gas, which is one reason why gas mileage is slightly better in the summer. However, the summer-blend is also more expensive to produce, and that cost is passed on to the motorist.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. Your assistance is most appreciated! I've learned more from you members than I have from the Dealer! The coldest temps that we have so far is in the 40s and 50s. Will see if MPG increases on a more extended highway drive upcoming shortly.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Since you asked. We started looking for a 2019 RAV4 Limited Hybrid and AWD in July, and there were none to be found in our area, or anywhere within 100 miles. We started to look at other Manufacturers, and always came back to the RAV4. We were also interested in a specific color both exterior and interior, that further complicated the finding. In August we submitted an order for the vehicle and every two weeks the Dealer submitted the request for allocation and every time there was no movement. In October the Dealer received two 2019 that met everything except it was not a Hybrid, and, at this point we didn't really care about the AWD, so, we purchased it. In the meantime, there are still no 2019 or 2020 in our area with the Hybrid. I hope this explains why we bought the non-Hybrid model.

However, your comment still doesn't address why the MPG isn't what should be expected, and, per many posts, the Hybrid also appears not to achieve their stated MPG, even tough better than the FWD Model.
I had a similar experience...tried to buy a rav4 hybrid limited, with a specific color scheme, and couldnt find it...then last week a local dealer said they had one (except in blizzard pearl, my second color choice)...so I was going to buy it anyway, but when I got to the dealer they claimed the fleet mgr had sold it to another customer, but they could get another from another lot but for $3k over MSRP. I told them the price was a deal-breaker. Then I asked them to look for a non-hybrid with the same configuration, which they ended up having in stock. With some negotiating I got a 2020 rav4 Limited (gas) for $1.5k under MSRP. I dont drive that much since I am retired, so the hybrid was not a “must-gave”. Getting back to the mpg issue, I drove the car 550 miles over Thanksgiving , mostly on freeway but in heavy rain, traffic, and wind. I average 30mpg driving in primarily “Normal” mode. I figured not bad (but not great) since it was the vehicle’s first 500 miles. I’ll be monitoring my gas mileage over the next few months under my more normal driving pattern, which is approximately 70% freeway, 30% city.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a similar experience...tried to buy a rav4 hybrid limited, with a specific color scheme, and couldnt find it...then last week a local dealer said they had one (except in blizzard pearl, my second color choice)...so I was going to buy it anyway, but when I got to the dealer they claimed the fleet mgr had sold it to another customer, but they could get another from another lot but for $3k over MSRP. I told them the price was a deal-breaker. Then I asked them to look for a non-hybrid with the same configuration, which they ended up having in stock. With some negotiating I got a 2020 rav4 Limited (gas) for $1.5k under MSRP. I dont drive that much since I am retired, so the hybrid was not a “must-gave”. Getting back to the mpg issue, I drove the car 550 miles over Thanksgiving , mostly on freeway but in heavy rain, traffic, and wind. I average 30mpg driving in primarily “Normal” mode. I figured not bad (but not great) since it was the vehicle’s first 500 miles. I’ll be monitoring my gas mileage over the next few months under my more normal driving pattern, which is approximately 70% freeway, 30% city.
Thanks for your information. Our requirement was the Blizzard Pearl with the Light Grey Interior, and, the Panoramic Moon Roof. We would have waited until the 2020 but the Allocation Manager said that they were not expecting anything that matched our requirements, possibly into the new year. So, when a vehicle became available, we grabbed it. We were able to purchase for $2000 under MSRP, and were pleased with that, since negotiation in our area is nearly impossible. There is no difference between the 2019 and the 2020 models, and since we don't expect to be buying another car in the future, the value difference isn't a concern. We're planning g a road trip and will see what the MPG is with extended highway driving.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Thanks everyone. Your assistance is most appreciated! I've learned more from you members than I have from the Dealer! The coldest temps that we have so far is in the 40s and 50s. Will see if MPG increases on a more extended highway drive upcoming shortly.
I have almost 10K miles on my 2019 Limited and am quite pleased with the mpg it delivers. Suburban driving gets me mid to high 20s. More highway driving delivers 30 mpg.

Consistent Interstate roads deliver 34 to 37 mpg. All this is consistent with its Fed rating. The mere 5 mpg highway rating difference pushed me away from the hybrid with its higher cost, inferior transmission, complexity, and AWD.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have almost 10K miles on my 2019 Limited and am quite pleased with the mpg it delivers. Suburban driving gets me mid to high 20s. More highway driving delivers 30 mpg.

Consistent Interstate roads deliver 34 to 37 mpg. All this is consistent with its Fed rating. The mere 5 mpg highway rating difference pushed me away from the hybrid with its higher cost, inferior transmission, complexity, and AWD.
I get the same MPG as a Limited does with my Adventure, 37 mpg highway is the best that I've seen on a good day with no head wind and not many hills to go up.
On short highway drives it's easy do get the 33 mpg if I don't use ten toes on the gas peddle. ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will see how my best day is on an extended Interstate drive. That will be enlightening!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Check your tires, Toyota had inflated mine to 33 psi in the shop when I got winter tires, which became 29 in the outside cold weather (in Canada), and the door placard says 36.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Trying to measure MPG in the first 1000 miles is a waste of time. Engine isn't broken in, etc. Lots of information across the web on this issue - same for all cars. At 1000 miles start calculating again, and do so across several tanks to account for differences in fill amount at the pump.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, Will check in the morning before driving. My placard shows 33 psi for all 4 tires.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Trying to measure MPG in the first 1000 miles is a waste of time. Engine isn't broken in, etc. Lots of information across the web on this issue - same for all cars. At 1000 miles start calculating again, and do so across several tanks to account for differences in fill amount at the pump.
Sounds reasonable. Will hit the 1000 mile threshold shortly, and, will continue to monitor variables, pure highway, combined and just city.

·
Registered
416 Posts
For what it's worth, I've not noticed any appreciable difference from brand new to several thousand miles, or years old in either my '15, '18, or '19 RAV4s.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Gas engines run about 40% less efficiently until they are somewhat warm, so if you are taking lots of short trips in the winter you will get really bad mileage. This is by design, mostly to heat up the catalytic converter as quickly as possibly by running rich and retarding timing to cause more fuel to burn in the exhaust system. "Winter blend" fuels, as mentioned, do not account at all for the differences we see in the winter time; a 2% reduction in energy density is a small part of the 10-20% reduction in overall efficiency most drivers see in cold commutes.

That said, I also saw no significant difference in efficiency between new and my current ~7k miles.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts