Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I know that this topic has been discussed many times here but every threads that I checked does not offer any solution. I know that some of you guys already reported the issue to your dealer and some to directly to Toyota. What do you guys know so far? What are they saying about the issue and is there a plan to fix it? Or do we already have a fix for the problem? Just let us know here, if you have already dealt with your dealer and Toyota, what they are saying about this annoying issues. Thanks.

Issues:
1) Transmission lurching and hesitating at lower speed acceleration.
2) Vehicle hesitates when accelerating after rolling stops, such as at traffic lights that change to green as you approach them. Once the car responds to depressing the accelerator, the car will jerk forward.
3) When need to accelerate from a lower speed, it fails to catch the right gear and hesitate for a few seconds before snapping to a higher gear.
4) It feels like the issue worsen when AC is turned on.

Also, let us know what you are doing currently to dealing with the problem. For me, I just try to go as slow as I can so that the transmission does not snap..lol

·
Registered
680 Posts
The reason why you have not found a solution is simply because there are no solution at the moment. I personnaly went really far with my dealer and Toyota Canada and the answer from corporate is really clear that for now it is working as it was designed to but they have heard of people experience a characteristic (hesitation and launching) that they are looking into. I’ve lost countless hours with Toyota fighting over it, i’ve got my car inspected by transport canada who are responsible of road security and can force car compagny to adress an issue but it was classed as a non safety issue.

I also got it inspected by 3 independant mechanics and though it was deamed not normal, it was not a safety issue again but more of a confort and long term reliability concern.

I also got a lawyer and the camvap involved which is close to the lemon law in Canada and they both strongly recommended that i just accept it because i would get less than my time would be worth and the chance of having Toyota buy it back was slim to none.

I know there is an issue because I had a loaner rav4 same year, same trim for a week and did NOT experience these issues.

Also, look at the Camry’s, they have the same issue, a TSB was done but the issue still exist and it is dead silent from Toyota, which mean they probably will leave it as is. They even told me on the phone to read my owners manual to learn how to drive my car. I asked them where in the manual it mention that the transmission hesitate and can launch you forward and how to operate it but he changed the subject.

Anyway, long story short, i got tired of being stress and having to deal with that pos transmission that i decided to work a deal on an hybrid rav4 that has been a complete dream so far.

TLDR, the only fix is making sure your Rav4 does not have the issue before buying and if you have the issue and cant stand it, trade it in because Toyota won’t due much because it’s not a safety issue.

·
Registered
186 Posts
For me just pressing the accelerator hard and holding it there solves the 'issues'. I feel like touch and go on the accelerator makes the above issues prominent. It has been a while since any of the above happened to me.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The reason why you have not found a solution is simply because there are no solution at the moment. I personnaly went really far with my dealer and Toyota Canada and the answer from corporate is really clear that for now it is working as it was designed to but they have heard of people experience a characteristic (hesitation and launching) that they are looking into. I’ve lost countless hours with Toyota fighting over it, i’ve got my car inspected by transport canada who are responsible of road security and can force car compagny to adress an issue but it was classed as a non safety issue.

I also got it inspected by 3 independant mechanics and though it was deamed not normal, it was not a safety issue again but more of a confort and long term reliability concern.

I also got a lawyer and the camvap involved which is close to the lemon law in Canada and they both strongly recommended that i just accept it because i would get less than my time would be worth and the chance of having Toyota buy it back was slim to none.

I know there is an issue because I had a loaner rav4 same year, same trim for a week and did NOT experience these issues.

Also, look at the Camry’s, they have the same issue, a TSB was done but the issue still exist and it is dead silent from Toyota, which mean they probably will leave it as is. They even told me on the phone to read my owners manual to learn how to drive my car. I asked them where in the manual it mention that the transmission hesitate and can launch you forward and how to operate it but he changed the subject.

Anyway, long story short, i got tired of being stress and having to deal with that pos transmission that i decided to work a deal on an hybrid rav4 that has been a complete dream so far.

TLDR, the only fix is making sure your Rav4 does not have the issue before buying and if you have the issue and cant stand it, trade it in because Toyota won’t due much because it’s not a safety issue.
Best story of all I've heard so far...Wow
Knowing what you've gone through and how they concluded, I feel very hopeless....

·
Registered
680 Posts
Best story of all I've heard so far...Wow
Knowing what you've gone through and how they concluded, I feel very hopeless....
These were just the tip of my issues lol, I had a lemon with other types of issues as well. I hope i don’t have any issues because I know Toyota will be helpless.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I was considering buying a new RAV4, in a test drive can you find out if that particular RAV4 will have the issue?

I owned a 2001 for 11 years, it had a very occasional hesitation that was very bad when it did happen. It probably happened 4-5 times in 11 years.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I was considering buying a new RAV4, in a test drive can you find out if that particular RAV4 will have the issue?

I owned a 2001 for 11 years, it had a very occasional hesitation that was very bad when it did happen. It probably happened 4-5 times in 11 years.
Considering the concerns expressed on this web site, consider a test drive of the unit you will buy as mandatory. BTW, I haven't found that the A/C has any effect.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Considering the concerns expressed on this web site, consider a test drive of the unit you will buy as mandatory. BTW, I haven't found that the A/C has any effect.
You think trying to make it show up on a test drive would determine if it will happen later?

To me it sounds like a transmission programming issue that has more to do with the way someone drives/situation the vehicle is placed in than a mechanical variance between units.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I'm going to test drive 3 or 4 at local dealers and let you know my experience. I need to buy a new car in the next 3 months and may be forced to get the hybrid or CRV.

I agree doesnt seem like there will be a fix because they will just say its normal and sell 400,000 units...Camry owners left high and dry

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm going to test drive 3 or 4 at local dealers and let you know my experience. I need to buy a new car in the next 3 months and may be forced to get the hybrid or CRV.

I agree doesnt seem like there will be a fix because they will just say its normal and sell 400,000 units...Camry owners left high and dry
A family member has a 2018 Camry with the same engine and transmission (as reported here). It also has no transmission issues.

·
Registered
189 Posts

Look up CRV oil dilution...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Same here, although I use to have an 01 rav4 I thought the crv would be better for me due to the extra room, I am a big man at 6'5" and I was quite a bit younger then.

Too bad i thought the crv was quite attractive too.

·
Registered
764 Posts
It's fixed supposedly

Should I get a rav4 with crappy trans instead? At least Honda acknowledged the problem and is fixing

Toyota blames the owner

·
Registered
426 Posts
It's fixed supposedly

Should I get a rav4 with crappy trans instead? At least Honda acknowledged the problem and is fixing

Toyota blames the owner
As I understand the CRV oil dilution "fix", it was done through software. The logic of that "fix" completely escapes me. IMHO Honda is lying.

·
Registered
764 Posts
As I understand the CRV oil dilution "fix", it was done through software. The logic of that "fix" completely escapes me. IMHO Honda is lying.
I had a long discussion about this with my head mechanic friend Mike Mickahlik at Farmington Hills Honda and said the same thing.

The problem is the software is spraying too much fuel and thus diluting oil. It really is a programming issue. ....according to him.

All 2019s are unaffected. I have the luxury of seeing who fixes first, Honda with CRv or Toyota with 8 speed. We should know in the next 6-12 months if these issues are fixed

Guess I'll delay my purchase for now.

·
Registered
189 Posts
If the engine was spraying too much fuel it would be apparent in the exhaust and that should have been very easy to find because there needs to be an exact stiochmetric fuel/air mixture to have a good burn.

From what I saw the software fix involved getting the engine hot sooner and that's it.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Could be but we will know soon enough if the fix works

Same thing for Rav4 8 speed. If they don't acknowledge soon then they'll just ignore it. Does your trans jerk Pat?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Could be but we will know soon enough if the fix works

Same thing for Rav4 8 speed. If they don't acknowledge soon then they'll just ignore it. Does your trans jerk Pat?
I am still trying to decide what to buy. The RAV4 is on my short list as I used to have an 01 and also own a Tacoma

·
Registered
764 Posts
Is there a reason we shouldn't be looking at a Mazda CX5? Seems like a great vehicle and you can get a non turbo engine and traditional 6 speed auto.

There is also a dealer in NY that has 3 brand new left over 2018 rav4s with tried and proven motor and 6 speed trans...new...10 or 20 miles each....

1 - 20 of 63 Posts