Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked-up my 2019 Rav4 Limited end of October, and while my PCS is set to ON, and with High Sensitivity, I have never observed it trying to alert or do anything when approaching another vehicle. The only real way to test is to keep on going and hit the vehicle in front, not very prudent! The only time I ever saw what it might do was when slowly pulling into my driveway and approaching the garage, and just as I was hitting brake to stop when close enough, the Brake slammed on hard. However, when driving and near a vehicle, nothing. There is no way if I continued with gas aplied that I could have stopped. What has your experience been like? I have my first scheduled maintenance appointment in March and will ask them, but your thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ive experienced the same in my 1st week in the car. What I did notice is, it works with cruise control ON. There might be others out in the group who can share their experience on this. As i too want to know more about this. Though, we should rely on it that much, its always good to have it in emergency.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive experienced the same in my 1st week in the car. What I did notice is, it works with cruise control ON. There might be others out in the group who can share their experience on this. As i too want to know more about this. Though, we should rely on it that much, its always good to have it in emergency.
Thanks for your feedback. When I have used Cruise Conrol I also set the auto stop/start based on distance to car in front. I might be wrong but I thought that PCS works even under normal driving and not using Cruise Control. I agree that this is simply a sfaty enhancement, and that we should always keep our eyes on the road, but also know that there are lapses to that! I am guilty!

·
Registered
435 Posts
I triggered it once, I think. The car in front was turning right and I was going straight, which gives it a false positive.

Testing out these features is tricky, as you're basically trying to come as close as you can to crashing without actually crashing. I recommend just trusting that it's there and working. But if you insist, consider setting up some false-positive situations from the owner's manual on pages 254-255. It looks like there's a minimum speed as well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I triggered it once, I think. The car in front was turning right and I was going straight, which gives it a false positive.

Testing out these features is tricky, as you're basically trying to come as close as you can to crashing without actually crashing. I recommend just trusting that it's there and working. But if you insist, consider setting up some false-positive situations from the owner's manual on pages 254-255. It looks like there's a minimum speed as well.
Thanks. Trust it will be without trying to test further. Will ask during my maintenance next month.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Put some cardboxes that look like rear of the car and drive straight into them. Oh make sure to record it and share on YouTube. Might get a few likes... Guaranteed!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mine kicked in today. Going 70mph on the interstate and saw traffic slowing slightly ahead so I tapped brake which disengaged cruise. I was using radar cruise set to 1 bar. Toed more into brake to increase the follow distance to the vehicle in front of me when suddenly they slowed to a near stop very rapidly. I floored the brake and out of the corner of my eye the MID went solid red beeping rapidly. Rav4 skidded to a stop and thank God the massive Dodge Ram behind me also stopped in time. Turns out a slow moving semi pulled into the hammer lane which nearly caused a pile up. I was nearly on top of the vehicle in front of me before it kicked in.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I've had the system kick in with the scenario of traveling behind a car with enough distance to just let up on the gas but don't touch the brake pedal. As you're getting closer to this car making a turn onto a side street a fairly good distance still behind the car, the system will activate. Flash a message on the MID and slightly apply the brakes. At this point I will now have my foot on the brakes and slow quicker if needed. It all happens quickly but also relatively safely.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine kicked in today. Going 70mph on the interstate and saw traffic slowing slightly ahead so I tapped brake which disengaged cruise. I was using radar cruise set to 1 bar. Toed more into brake to increase the follow distance to the vehicle in front of me when suddenly they slowed to a near stop very rapidly. I floored the brake and out of the corner of my eye the MID went solid red and beeping rapidly. Rav4 skidded to a stop and thank God the massive Dodge Ram behind me also stopped in time. Turns out a slow moving semi pulled into the hammer lane which nearly caused a pile up. I was nearly on top of the vehicle in front of me before it kicked in.
Promising that it did kick- in! I too am always worried about the vehicle behind me not paying attention and rear ending my vehicle!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Oh, it works when backing up real good, at least with big objects! I was backing out of a parking spot and didn't notice some idiot who was trying to slip by me to park in a spot behind me. My Rav4 saw her though and applied the brakes. Damn near gave me a coronary. The noise and feel at the brake pedal was a weird pulsating braaaaaaap noise. I almost thought my Rav4 was having a major issue or something, but then I saw the car pull in the spot behind me and I figured it out. But with pedestrians, it's kind of iffy if they're real close. The Rav4 sees peds if they are several feet away, but the other day I was backing up and some pedestrian walked close right behind my Rav4 and she didn't set off the system. I happened to be looking back however and DID see her, fortunately. Doesn't give me warm and fuzzies to depend on the system yet, so the old standby, eyes, ears and paying attention still works the best.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Question - if RAV4 is autonomously breaking, do the brake lights come on? What if just gentle slowing? Do they come on at all?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Question - if RAV4 is autonomously breaking, do the brake lights come on? What if just gentle slowing? Do they come on at all?
On my 2017 RAV4, the PCS would alarm and display a collision warning message and I would need to step on the brake pedal. Not sure about the new RAV4s. I have never triggered the system on my hybrid. On my 2017, I used to trigger it often. It was a life saver.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
It works when approaching the car in front above certain speed. When approaching objects in slower speed, the parking sensors start beeps.
Yesterday, when i backed from a parking lot, it detected a crossing car and applied brake to stop moving with red big size BRAKE on the MID.

·
Registered
435 Posts
What if it is regenerative braking for a Hybrid - do they still come on even if slowing gently?
The hybrid simulates a traditional car. When coasting it applies a very slight regenerative braking, similar to the resistance from engine braking from a gas engine. The brake lights are not illuminated, though.

When you press the brake pedal lightly, the regenerative braking is increased to slow you down faster. This will illuminate the brake lights, of course. And if you press the pedal harder the physical brakes are engaged, as expected.

Basically, the car works exactly as your experience would lead you to believe. The brake light is all about the pedal, not how the braking is done.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Understand the brake lights coming on when you press the brake pedal. However, if you are on cruise control, not touching the pedal, the system can decelerate quite quickly using regen braking. Does this turn on the brake lights? And is there a level of 'virtual braking' that will cause the brake lights to come on?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Understand the brake lights coming on when you press the brake pedal. However, if you are on cruise control, not touching the pedal, the system can decelerate quite quickly using region braking. Does this turn on the brake lights? And is there a level of 'virtual braking' that will cause the brake lights to come on?
Yes, the brake lights come on when the cruise control decelerates the car. The owner's manual mentions this, and it's easy enough to verify by passing attention to the top brake light in your mirror at night.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts