Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to modify my rav for blackout driving and this is normally done by installing a switch in line with one of the wires in the brake pedal switch. But the newer generation of ravs seem to have a check for this.
So, I'm looking for anyone who may know how to get around this check or which wire is specifically for turning on the brake lights.
Before anyone asks why would I want to do this, it's a thing. Military, police, hunting, and a few other reasons exist for why you might not want to have your brake lights come on. It's obviously not for highway driving or any other time around other vehicles. This is more for trails and bad lands type of activities.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I'm trying to modify my rav for blackout driving and this is normally done by installing a switch in line with one of the wires in the brake pedal switch. But the newer generation of ravs seem to have a check for this.
So, I'm looking for anyone who may know how to get around this check or which wire is specifically for turning on the brake lights.
Before anyone asks why would I want to do this, it's a thing. Military, police, hunting, and a few other reasons exist for why you might not want to have your brake lights come on. It's obviously not for highway driving or any other time around other vehicles. This is more for trails and bad lands type of activities.
You're probably in for a long search since the computer is able to apply the brakes itself which will also turn on the brake lights. Gone are the days of a simple plugger switch attached the brake pedal arm to open and close a momentary switch. I haven't checked but there probably is one there but is connected to a CAN bus to determine if a light has burnt out. All integrated so you can safely drive at night and PEOPLE CAN SEE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't checked but there probably is one there but is connected to a CAN bus to determine if a light has burnt out. All integrated so you can safely drive at night and PEOPLE CAN SEE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This may kill my plan B of tapping into the line for each bulb, but I'm likely to try anyway. I'm also testing to see how it works if already running and in gear when you disconnect things. Just for curiosity. But the challenge of unplugging the wire block while holding the brake down is inconvenient, to say the least

·
Registered
2021 Rav 4 XLE gas engine
1,763 Posts
Are you planning on doing some rum running for a moonshiner? See the old Robert Mitchum film "Thunder Road." Brake and tail light light switch was common in the 1920s so the revenuers couldn't see your lights when they were in pursuit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.