Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

2019 ROOF RACK LEAK

163516 885
Before anyone’s warranty is up, if you have a 2019 RAV4 check your headliner for light bluish marks, if you have this, that means your roof racks aren’t properly sealed and water is leaking inside your car!!!! I just hade my passenger side rails resealed and headliner replaced❤
841 - 860 of 886 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Just an update: hit the two-month mark and Toyota continues to tell me each week that they're still diligently working to reach the dealership to confirm the problem with my vehicle. They said the dealership isn't returning their call, so I gave them the main number. This is such a joke. The same dealership sends me mailers 3x a month telling me they want to buy my car - might as well just sell it back to them at this point so it doesn't continue leaking during the next heavy rain. FFS.
If it's the low rail, then DIY the fix or have someone do it.

Is your headliner ruined now?

Dealer service depts are not Toyota. No response from dealer is just a bad dealer. Can you try another dealer?

To protect your investment, contact your car loan folks (if you have one) because they "own" the vehicle currently and don't really want to see the value go down. I would also file a lawsuit against Toyota just so you have the whole thing well documented. Once a lawsuit is filed I bet you $20 that it will get fixed super ASAP.

·
Registered
18 Posts
To protect your investment, contact your car loan folks (if you have one) because they "own" the vehicle currently and don't really want to see the value go down.
Ha - that would be Toyota Financial Services.

Toyota wrote back and offered a one-time credit of $750 to go towards the dealer's quoted cost of repairs -- they were still unable to reach the dealer's service department. They also offered to pro-rate that in the event that a TSB or recall is issued in the future. I've asked if that credit will be offered per occurrence -- replacing the existing rails with the same parts will only delay the inevitable.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Ha - that would be Toyota Financial Services.

Toyota wrote back and offered a one-time credit of $750 to go towards the dealer's quoted cost of repairs -- they were still unable to reach the dealer's service department. They also offered to pro-rate that in the event that a TSB or recall is issued in the future. I've asked if that credit will be offered per occurrence -- replacing the existing rails with the same parts will only delay the inevitable.
The new parts are using thicker foam-rubber seals. If the punched holes are good and flat, the new thicker seals may work ok. If the punched holes have crappy punch and are a bit embossed in sloppy way, my suspicion is because the non-flat lip of the hole it will eventually wear through even the thicker foam-rubber seal.

Here's my advice. You have a strong case for the courts. Toyota is and has been obviously providing new parts that address the issue, yet they fail to issue TSB or Recall to fix the problem. It's basic evidence that Toyota is and has been well aware of the problem. In your situation, Toyota should reimburse your costs to fix the engineering issue, or, you file lawsuit to recoup your costs to fix their issue.

I would not accept $750. I would accept whatever costs I had to put in to get the "fix". Note what I bolded, that's your ticket to a win via the courts.

I am no longer seeking help from Toyota or my dealer for "fixing" my leaking roof rails. Dealer has been horrendous, and Toyota has been no help. It's a life lesson in 2022, next time I will seek out another brand to buy, not based on vehicle reliability (because many are good these days), but based on dealer support and the attention the brand Corp folks give when a real issue is presented.

I hear often, "Toyota reliability is top notch". So then why do they only give 3yr warranty in US?

·
Registered
659 Posts
It most likely is, I just don't have the VIN of a 2022 LE.
I would prefer the flat moulding. ;)

Well, it looks like some Rav's don't even come with roof rails. I only found this on parts site for JPP made vehicles that go to non-NA markets. The clips are one all the way in front, and one all the way in the rear. I wonder how many roof holes are there? I wonder if roof rails/rack is an option?

I am guessing, because parts site only shows two clips for this moulding, the moulding is likely just one long self-stick backer. I don't see them making roof holes and then thinking a self-stick backer will keep the holes sealed. I am not sure how one would seal existing holes to allow this flat moulding to stick nice and flat, and not leak. I guess you could bead some Butyl rubber caulk around each hole (a small bead) and then stick the flat moulding on, the caulk would still stick to the moulding, so I guess it's possible, just not proven yet. I have more advanced way to seal holes, but that's for another thread I guess.

Will this moulding fit models that the parts were never listed for? Someone needs to try it and see. I suspect this moulding is a bit flexible.

(non-US markets)
2022 TOYOTA RAV4 (MXAA54L-ANXVB) JPP GEN LHD M20AFKS CVT V
75551-42050 (NEW # 75551-0R100) MOULDING, ROOF DRIP SIDE FINISH, RH, $85 retail
75552-42050 (NEW # 75552-0R100) MOULDING, ROOF DRIP SIDE FINISH, LH, $85 retail
75561-52020 ROOF RAIL-WITH(FLAT TYPE) (2 per side), $1.80ea retail

BTW, all these parts are listed as "non-reusable part", which makes me believe more it's a sticker backer, so when you remove it you basically destroy it.

·
Registered
2022 RAV4 LE Hybrid on order - likely will be 2023 model instead
53 Posts
Has anyone looked into a "Roof Rail Delete"? I was peepering the naked 2022 LE and the shape of the sheet metal looks the same as my Limited, wonder what is under that weatherstrip and how it attaches.

Hmmm. I knew the LE ICE did not come with rails but the LE Hybrid did. So I wondered what the ICE model had in the grooves. Now I know. I wonder if the holes are still punched??

·
Registered
2020 Limited AWD
885 Posts
Hmmm. I knew the LE ICE did not come with rails but the LE Hybrid did. So I wondered what the ICE model had in the grooves. Now I know. I wonder if the holes are still punched??
That's my wonder also, I wonder if that weather stripping that is in the track also has rubber plugs that seat down into those clip holes in addition to adhesive?

Maybe the opposite could be done for the folks who like like LE price point but wanted to add a rack after the fact?

If given the choice I would give mine away haha.

·
Registered
244 Posts
that roof drip molding
attaches with hooks and clips on both ends pointing toward the middle. the rest is pressed into a channel

get a spudger and pop the ends up

here on a tacoma, it's about the same on all toyota models

corolla example

·
Registered
659 Posts
Post #851 vid-1, those clips must be sticky-tape on Rav (not welded in) because they show as a replaceable part. Silicone and that tape are not good choices.

Post #850, if the flat moulding had a tapered retainer plugs to fit into holes, that would also be a good way to hold the moulding down w/o need for sticky tape.

This gen Rav uses a sticky type of spacer at the front.

·
Registered
2021 Rav 4 XLE gas engine
1,848 Posts
That's my wonder also, I wonder if that weather stripping that is in the track also has rubber plugs that seat down into those clip holes in addition to adhesive?
I remember seeing a video or photos that I think is posted somewheres in this forum where that flat rubber molding is removed from the '22 LE ICE by the owner. There are NO holes in the channel. There were slight dimples or indentations where the holes would be for roof rails but the channel was solid metal. Also there was no adhesive applied to hold that flat flexible molding in place.

·
Registered
2020 Limited AWD
885 Posts
I remember seeing a video or photos that I think is posted somewheres in this forum where that flat rubber molding is removed from the '22 LE ICE by the owner. There are NO holes in the channel. There were slight dimples or indentations where the holes would be for roof rails but the channel was solid metal. Also there was no adhesive applied to hold that flat flexible molding in place.
Thanks man. I guess no easy way to rail delete. At least going his route.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Thanks man. I guess no easy way to rail delete. At least going his route.
If the flat moulding fits, filling the holes is not too difficult, but I would use Butyl rubber caulk and a method to block the holes from underneath w/o going in under headliner. I would also use a bead of Butyl down the length to have it stick to the roof better.

However, both Hi and Lo rails have nuts under the headliner, so it will be a real chore to loosen and get those nuts out, and in doing so you risk damaging the headliner.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
If the flat moulding fits, filling the holes is not too difficult, but I would use Butyl rubber caulk and a method to block the holes from underneath w/o going in under headliner. I would also use a bead of Butyl down the length to have it stick to the roof better.

However, both Hi and Lo rails have nuts under the headliner, so it will be a real chore to loosen and get those nuts out, and in doing so you risk damaging the headliner.
I don't think the standard moonroof has channels to direct water into the rails but the pano roof does. So at least on the pano roof, there will be water getting into the roof rail channel do matter how you seal off the channel.

I have posted these before but I tool a wooden stick and placed it in the rear channel of the pano roof glass. As you can see, I marked how far under the roof rail the channel extends. The first picture is with the stick in place and the second one shows that there is no restriction for water to drain from the back of the pano glass and drain into the roof rail channel. Which as you know, also past the seals in question. So unless you seal off the entry point under the roof rail, the pano glass channel will fill with water and have no place to drain. There are roof drains that I've seen in posted pictures on the inside rear cargo area with panels removed. There is a drain system but it's probably for the roof rail channel not this small on behind the glass. Has anyone researched if the pano roof only gets these drain tubes?
Vehicle Vehicle door Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive tire Vehicle door Automotive exterior

Oh, and not to keep posting these same pictures, but my November 2018 build has an orange front retaining post and with the interior assist handle removed, you can see its other end from the inside by looking through the handle mounting holes.

Endoscope image:
Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Material property Automotive lighting

Other side from the mounting hole of the assist handle:
Food Ingredient Petal Vegetable Recipe

Here's one of the center ones. Very hard to get to with an endoscope:
Automotive lighting Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Auto part

·
Registered
659 Posts
I don't think the standard moonroof has channels to direct water into the rails but the pano roof does. So at least on the pano roof, there will be water getting into the roof rail channel do matter how you seal off the channel.
Sealing the whole rail channel is not a thing to do. Water will always get in under whatever is in that channel. Allowing it to "breathe" is a good idea.

On that Tacoma vid, he used dbl-side tape, I would have just use a bead of Butyl caulk down the middle to help keep that flat moulding from coming out in a car wash (he mentioned car wash).

The whole leaking roof issue could have been avoided is the holes were embossed. But, embossed holes would not accommodate that flat moulding. Does a LE with flat moulding have plugged holes?

·
Registered
2020 Limited AWD
885 Posts
Sealing the whole rail channel is not a thing to do. Water will always get in under whatever is in that channel. Allowing it to "breathe" is a good idea.

On that Tacoma vid, he used dbl-side tape, I would have just use a bead of Butyl caulk down the middle to help keep that flat moulding from coming out in a car wash (he mentioned car wash).

The whole leaking roof issue could have been avoided is the holes were embossed. But, embossed holes would not accommodate that flat moulding. Does a LE with flat moulding have plugged holes?
I keep my Toyota's until the wheels fall off, so it is disheartening to have such a profound flaw in the design of the vehicle.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I keep my Toyota's until the wheels fall off, so it is disheartening to have such a profound flaw in the design of the vehicle.
I wonder if any eV can go 300kmi w/o having to swap out the e-motors, and who knows how many times a new batt pack is needed. The 2.5L motor has been around a good amount of time, good care and it should go 300kmi. My v8 Toy motor is nearing 300kmi, no issues to be seen at this time.

Toyota makes too many models in high volume, that's the issue. Rushed unproven designs usually do have issues, 4.5gen Rav4 no exception to this rule.

841 - 860 of 886 Posts