Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the thread size and pitch for the front eyelet on the 2019+ modes that have it?

I tired searching but can't find anything on this yet (only for older generations which apparently have a different thread size).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Canadian made vehicles do not have the tow eye. Japanese made vehicles do since that is what is used for a tied down point when they are shipped to the US. I have a Canadian made R4 so I can't help with actual measurements.

The 49th post in this thread shows the part number for the towing eye. That might answer your question.

·
Registered
920 Posts
It is honestly a made-up thread pitch. The major diameter is 18mm, but the pitch is something like 3.5mm and the actual threads are very rounded like what you would see on a molded plastic child's toy.

I searched and searched, but never found anything that matched. I ended up buying a 3/4-10 tap and just tapping the holes out to mount my own custom hooks.

edit

To be clear, tapping an 18mm hole to 3/4" (19.05mm) is only something like 40-45% thread engagement, down from the 65-70% that is common in matched threads. However, the actual reduction in strength from such "loose" thread engagement is still on the order of magnitude of maybe 50%. Thus, assuming simple mild steel threads, each hook can still technically hold tens of thousands of pounds of straight pulling force.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts