Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I’m new on here. First time RAV4 owner. Like many people, was super disappointed that our 2019 XLE doesn’t have Apple CarPlay. Even though it says it does on the window he sticker. 🤬

anyways, I got a 2019/2020 JBL head unit on a really good deal and went to install, and everything matched up except a couple smaller harnesses in the back. It powered up, and my phone connected just fine.

I know it’s potentially a headache, but I like factory equipment….

2 questions-

1- has anyone successfully swapped these units?

2- Does anyone have a harness diagram for these turds. Specifically the plugs circled in the pictures.
Thank you in advance for the help!

·
Registered
2020 Limited AWD - Blizzard Pearl/Black
505 Posts
Hey everyone, I’m new on here. First time RAV4 owner. Like many people, was super disappointed that our 2019 XLE doesn’t have Apple CarPlay. Even though it says it does on the window he sticker. 🤬

anyways, I got a 2019/2020 JBL head unit on a really good deal and went to install, and everything matched up except a couple smaller harnesses in the back. It powered up, and my phone connected just fine.

I know it’s potentially a headache, but I like factory equipment….

2 questions-

1- has anyone successfully swapped these units?

2- Does anyone have a harness diagram for these turds. Specifically the plugs circled in the pictures.
Thank you in advance for the help!

View attachment 169767 View attachment 169768

If you live in North America and your 2019 Rav4 is also an NA model and wasn't modified in some strange way before you purchased it, it will have Apple CarPlay. The 2019 MY was just missing Android Auto.

Did you by chance file a warranty claim prior to purchasing your new headunit? It is possible something with the old unit was just defective, something as simple as a defective USB port or harness/charging cord could cause CarPlay to not kick in.

As for your main question, the 2019 head unit is technically not swappable with the 2020+ unit, I checked with my parts dept because I was prepared to swap out my 2019 XLE unit for Android Auto. The extra connectors could be for several things. For example SiriusXM is now standard on 2020+ where it was optional on 2019. It could also be related to the DCM being different in 2020+, which now uses an AT&T modem vs. Verizon. I believe there are also differences in how the JBL system works vs. the non-JBL system. There are a few helpful threads on that here that you should be able to find via the advanced forum search.

You can also subscribe to Toyota's tech info site for a couple days and gain access to wiring diagrams for all of the systems in our Rav4s. They are pretty detailed and came in handy when I was trying to add the ambient lighting to my 2019. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts