Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife and I plan to buy one. Of course the fuel tank issue has us scratching our head a little and questioning if we should buy the gas model. I would like the Hybrid for obvious reasons and while not a tree hugger, I have started to shift towards living green(er).

To help current owners and to escalate the issue, I have been bringing the issue up at the dealerships we have been visiting and leaving there with claiming I will not buy one without this being addressed. When they finally fess up and/or give in, all I get is it is under warranty and that it is going to be covered. My argument is quick to question what if I go over the standard miles covered before it gets fixed?

Anyways, we are pushing and I'm calling Toyota today to push on the issue a little more. I'm not going to tell them I will buy the gas model but rather a Subaru or Honda. Hope this stirs the pot in the right direction. While at the dealers I had a guy walk up to me and told me he and his family were there to buy a hybrid too and he overheard me talking about the issue. He asked for more details and told him to search for it. I don't know of the outcome but glad I was able to warn him.

Other than this, is there anyone else that went the gas route due to the fuel tank fill issue? Anyone that knew of the issue and still bought one?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Overreaction for some people. Looking at my fuelly report below (and anyone can) you can see that I have only fueled up more than about 8 gallons two or three times in 32 fill-ups. My gauge will read F or more than F at least 90% of the time after a fill up. So it a little quirky and I fill to the click and then one more click. BFD. The rest of the car is bug free, rattle free, etc. Compare that to the average car delivered today. I'm way ahead. I can tell you 37 things I wish they had done differently when designing the car. But there are 35 good to great categories and those are all the important ones. Utility, economy, reliability. For a car will all the complexity and options (every one available) mine has, I have been back to a dealer only once in 6400 or so miles and that was to have them adjust the tire pressure because they didn't do that prior to delivery as they were supposed to. Didn't stop me from driving 2-3k miles before I discovered it.

As for Honda or Subaru, visit their forums if you want to be informed about the wisdom of buying those brands. I did before I bought and was appalled. Comparatively, this forum is a love fest.

Your money, your choice. Hope it works out as well for you as it did for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Overreaction for some people. Looking at my fuelly report below (and anyone can) you can see that I have only fueled up more than about 8 gallons two or three times in 32 fill-ups. My gauge will read F or more than F at least 90% of the time after a fill up. So it a little quirky and I fill to the click and then one more click. BFD. The rest of the car is bug free, rattle free, etc. Compare that to the average car delivered today. I'm way ahead. I can tell you 37 things I wish they had done differently when designing the car. But there are 35 good to great categories and those are all the important ones. Utility, economy, reliability. For a car will all the complexity and options (every one available) mine has, I have been back to a dealer only once in 6400 or so miles and that was to have them adjust the tire pressure because they didn't do that prior to delivery as they were supposed to. Didn't stop me from driving 2-3k miles before I discovered it.

As for Honda or Subaru, visit their forums if you want to be informed about the wisdom of buying those brands. I did before I bought and was appalled. Comparatively, this forum is a love fest.

Your money, your choice. Hope it works out as well for you as it did for me.
Thanks. To be clear, we are not going to buy a Honda or Subaru. I wanted her to get the CRV but the 2019 (non turbo) model as the new 2020 are only coming with their problematic turbo engine. My mother bought a new Subaru and they replaced the piston rings within 10K miles and then the short block at 25K miles. Now, they tell her it is normal that it burns a little bit of oil and they will add it for her whenever she stops by.

However, the wife tried them all and only likes the new Rav4. Now it is just a matter of buying the gas model or waiting for a fix on the Hybrid. As you can imagine, she does not like the waiting part.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Thanks. To be clear, we are not going to buy a Honda or Subaru. I wanted her to get the CRV but the 2019 (non turbo) model as the new 2020 are only coming with their problematic turbo engine. My mother bought a new Subaru and they replaced the piston rings within 10K miles and then the short block at 25K miles. Now, they tell her it is normal that it burns a little bit of oil and they will add it for her whenever she stops by.

However, the wife tried them all and only likes the new Rav4. Now it is just a matter of buying the gas model or waiting for a fix on the Hybrid. As you can imagine, she does not like the waiting part.
So why wait. What about her driving pattern would cause you to need or want more than 450-500 miles til;l the next fill. I can understand why people who drive 1k miles a week say it matters. But for many it doesn't. I've wandered across 6 states and back and never felt range anxiety.

·
Registered
386 Posts
My wife and I were aware of the fill up problem..bought an XSE..yeah the fuel tank is at times finicky? But would by it again with out hesitation! I believe Toyota will come out with a fix..if they don’t still no deal breaker for us.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So why wait. What about her driving pattern would cause you to need or want more than 450-500 miles til;l the next fill. I can understand why people who drive 1k miles a week say it matters. But for many it doesn't. I've wandered across 6 states and back and never felt range anxiety.
I really just don't care for having a pending unknown. Some of this is also that the only real reason we need another vehicle is due to my son getting her current car once she does. He is 17, a good driver, but is not because he has an extreme need for a car and my insurance is going to go through the roof (it already tripled with him being added as an occasional driver). He just wants one. Hence, we are loafing on this a little as it is a big decision for us with several variables pre and post. As I am the only one working, I care more than they do about money. How odd, right? :)

We are close, I would say within the next month.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I was aware of the fuel fill issue and decided to buy anyway; taking my chances. I had a Subaru and absolutely hated the CVT transmission. Toyota’s hybrid e-CVT is much more responsive, smooth to drive; and reliable.
I knew I wanted another Toyota hybrid after owning one before. I’ll never consider another Subaru unless they use Toyota’s hybrid technology with an e-CVT transmission.

My car will read past full on the fuel gauge; but I can only fill 10 or so gallons. The Distance to Empty reads 485 miles; but then as I drive, the DTE estimate decreases rapidly.
No regrets on the car; but I wish the seats were more comfortable. I had to purchase a seat cushion to help. I thought that the seats would soften and it was just brand new foam. That hadn’t happened. The Softex seats in my Prius were much more comfortable. The plus side of having the seat cushion though, plus driving a CUV; I can see so much better when parking the car. I do notice that the cloth material on the Rav seats is not as nice as 2000 Toyota Corolla that is still in my family. They don’t make things like they used to, I guess.

I hope this helps you with your decision!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I also knew of the fueling issue when I ordered our Rav4 Hybrid Limited in mid November, taking delivery on January 3rd. So far the only regret is that I didn't get my Rav Hybrid sooner. I have only fueled one time and there were no problems. My advice is to buy your Rav Hybrid and start enjoying it.
Bill

·
Registered
142 Posts
What's the Problem? If it was running out of gas before the gauge said it was zero miles to empty then that would be a problem. But I've yet to hear of a single person running out of gas and being stranded. I see this as a benefit and guarantee as long as you fill your car before zero miles to empty your guaranteed to reach all of your destinations safely. "Problem" solved.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I agree with your analogy that running out of fuel would be a problem. Sometimes forums make a mountain from a mole hill.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I agree with your analogy that running out of fuel would be a problem. Sometimes forums make a mountain from a mole hill.
I paid $40K for a vehicle that was supposed to have a range of 500-600 miles without a refueling routine that takes 15 minutes (if that even works). I expect to get what I paid for. And I travel often in rural areas where range matters. You have a motorcycle in your profile pic. Did you ever do long distance touring and wish that your bike had a smaller tank? I certainly didn't.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I paid $40K for a vehicle that was supposed to have a range of 500-600 miles without a refueling routine that takes 15 minutes (if that even works). I expect to get what I paid for. And I travel often in rural areas where range matters. You have a motorcycle in your profile pic. Did you ever do long distance touring and wish that your bike had a smaller tank? I certainly didn't.
No, but it has a legitimate visable "Reserve" not hidden in our RAV's. :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Crazyhorse, you've made a good point. I guess you could say what is a mole hill to some really is a mountain to others.

·
Registered
799 Posts

15 minutes?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I think everyone needs to remember there are (at least) two major issues here: a) that some people have difficulty filling the tank, either at all, or not without a lot of effort, and b) the gauge E mark and/or DTE indication is going off earlier than some people would like to see it. I think a) is not in dispute, or in my opinion should not be. b) in my opinion is a matter of perspective and I don't personally have a problem with it.

If you can fill your tank, it is possible to drive close to 600 miles, if that is what you really want to do.

Ok, peace. I don't want to piss anyone off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts