Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks. In the past few weeks, I have had a message come up, not long after starting, telling me that my system update download failed, or entune update failed, can’t remember which, and telling me to reinitiallise the update again. I do that, but get the same failure message. I try to check for updates and it fails while checking.

I took it into the dealer a couple of days ago and he told me that automatic. Updates was turned on. Duh, of course it was. He turned it off. I suggested that wouldn’t fix the problem and got a bunch of BS. Well, it didn’t fix the message, and I still have the original problem. So, is anyone else having this issue?

When I check for updates, the check fails due to a communication failure or whatever. The tech told me that is because my system has the latest updates already installed. I have to call bullshit on that too. I’ve had the car since Dec 2019 and never had any issues with automatic updates or anything else.

I hope someone can help me. Talking to the dealer is not working.

·
Premium Member
2020 Limited Hybrid
139 Posts
I had the same problem in my Limited. They did a reset of the DCM and it worked again. Haven't had a problem since. The tech at my dealer called Toyota to get it done. Good luck with that.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting, as mine is a limited also. Thanks so much for the help. I’m not impressed with the dealer at all. This isn’t the first time they have left me to try and figure out what the problem is when toyota is aware of it anyway. they tole me to never use the automatic update selection. I told the tech that it was set up that way by the dealer and it’s worked just fine until now. Plus if automatic update has an issue, why wouldn’t toyota fix the issue? He didn’t have an answer for that. I also have lost the tire pressure indication in the app. It used to work, until I used up the free subscription and renewed it. The remote start, and the door locks functions works, plus the other notifications, yet the tire pressure read out on my iphone just says N/A. I’ve had it in twice for that and they tell me a salesman has to reprogram the system. That, to me, is bullshit also. Why would it change on it’s own? And why doesn’t a tech have the ability to program the system? Why does only a sales guy have that ability?

·
Premium Member
2020 Limited Hybrid
139 Posts
That dealer sounds awful.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Interesting, as mine is a limited also. Thanks so much for the help. I’m not impressed with the dealer at all. This isn’t the first time they have left me to try and figure out what the problem is when toyota is aware of it anyway. they tole me to never use the automatic update selection. I told the tech that it was set up that way by the dealer and it’s worked just fine until now. Plus if automatic update has an issue, why wouldn’t toyota fix the issue? He didn’t have an answer for that. I also have lost the tire pressure indication in the app. It used to work, until I used up the free subscription and renewed it. The remote start, and the door locks functions works, plus the other notifications, yet the tire pressure read out on my iphone just says N/A. I’ve had it in twice for that and they tell me a salesman has to reprogram the system. That, to me, is bullshit also. Why would it change on it’s own? And why doesn’t a tech have the ability to program the system? Why does only a sales guy have that ability?
Mine just popped up with the same message today but I haven't tried anything yet. I'm reluctant to have them reset the DCM because of issues I had with it early on where they replaced the DCM 2 times because it wouldn't take updates and was off the road for multiple days while they tried to figure it out. I have no confidence in the dealers technical skills and it seems like eveything is either feed the customer BS or trial and error in an attempt to wear you down and make you go away. By the way I love the vehicle, just not the idiots who are supposed to help you.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Loaded entune on my XLE when it was purchased last summer. Never worked from day one. Updates failed and I gave up on it. Started traveling again recently since restrictions loosened up and made another attempt to get it working. Ended up deleting all personal data off DCM and entune off phone. Connected using Apple Auto Play App. and finally got everything working.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Loaded entune on my XLE when it was purchased last summer. Never worked from day one. Updates failed and I gave up on it. Started traveling again recently since restrictions loosened up and made another attempt to get it working. Ended up deleting all personal data off DCM and entune off phone. Connected using Apple Auto Play App. and finally got everything working.
I called Toyota and they said they could walk me through and fix it. Tried that. They said go into the menu and scroll through to where it says "Delete all personal data" and follow that and delete, then do the same thing again (they did warn me I would lose my phone connection, radio pre-sets etc.). After the second time doing that, they said shut it off, wait 30 seconds then restart, wait til a message pops up to download software update, select yes and wait (it downloaded 2 things). Restarted again and it still pops up with the same message. Didn't work. They said if that didn't work it needs to go back to the dealer to reset the DCM. Don't think I'll bother for awhile since the local dealer is a screw-up based upon past things they did with my DCM. Guess I'll just live with the message pop-up unless someone else has solved this??

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the inputs guys. it’s a big help. I did notice on my car that the Green light for the SOS system is on, which should tell me that the DCM is working, I would guess, but maybe not. I tried the remote start and stop and remote lock and unlock functions and they all work. Therefore, I know the DCM must be communicating. It’s pretty bad though, when us customers seem to have more of a clue about how all this operates than the dealerships do!

if I could get hold of the information, I’m pretty sure i could troubleshoot it myself. You would think they would allow us to do that, but no. it has to go back to the dealer and then we go through hell trying to get our vehicles fixed.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks for the inputs guys. it’s a big help. I did notice on my car that the Green light for the SOS system is on, which should tell me that the DCM is working, I would guess, but maybe not. I tried the remote start and stop and remote lock and unlock functions and they all work. Therefore, I know the DCM must be communicating. It’s pretty bad though, when us customers seem to have more of a clue about how all this operates than the dealerships do!

if I could get hold of the information, I’m pretty sure i could troubleshoot it myself. You would think they would allow us to do that, but no. it has to go back to the dealer and then we go through hell trying to get our vehicles fixed.
I called a different dealer than I usually use and a service guy told me they have had a few reports of this message popping up and said re-setting the DCM won't fix it but Toyota is supposedly aware of it and working on a fix or update. Who knows how long it will take.

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
1,662 Posts
Hi Folks. In the past few weeks, I have had a message come up, not long after starting, telling me that my system update download failed, or entune update failed, can’t remember which, and telling me to reinitiallise the update again. I do that, but get the same failure message. I try to check for updates and it fails while checking.

I took it into the dealer a couple of days ago and he told me that automatic. Updates was turned on. Duh, of course it was. He turned it off. I suggested that wouldn’t fix the problem and got a bunch of BS. Well, it didn’t fix the message, and I still have the original problem. So, is anyone else having this issue?

When I check for updates, the check fails due to a communication failure or whatever. The tech told me that is because my system has the latest updates already installed. I have to call bullshit on that too. I’ve had the car since Dec 2019 and never had any issues with automatic updates or anything else.

I hope someone can help me. Talking to the dealer is not working.

Similar message on a '19. Went to dealer. They fooled around with settings, eventually took it back where I couldn't see for a minute and came back to me without message and dealer info cleared. So there must be a way available as this was maybe 2 months ago.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got my issues repaired last week, after contacting the dealer’s customer relations people a total of 4 times. Promises were made but never carried through, until the last person I spoke with, a lady name Lynn, who took care of things. I wrote up a little note complete with picures, defining the issues and saying that I would not accept excuses or BS responses, that I just wanted it fixed. Well, they did a firmware update that fixed the issues and also fixed the problem with the app where it wouldn’t display the tire pressures. I had to reload the app in my phone, but that was all that was required.

Such a simple fix, but it’s involved repeated trips to the dealership, and assurances that i would have to have sales help me in loading the app in the car and on my phone. Well, Sales said they wouldn’t be able to fix it either. All in all, this issue has taken repeated phone calls to both the dealer and toyota corporate and also the remote assist people, repeated visits to the dealer, much frustration by myself, and a waste of time by techs and the dealership.

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
1,662 Posts
I got my issues repaired last week, after contacting the dealer’s customer relations people a total of 4 times. Promises were made but never carried through, until the last person I spoke with, a lady name Lynn, who took care of things. I wrote up a little note complete with picures, defining the issues and saying that I would not accept excuses or BS responses, that I just wanted it fixed. Well, they did a firmware update that fixed the issues and also fixed the problem with the app where it wouldn’t display the tire pressures. I had to reload the app in my phone, but that was all that was required.

Such a simple fix, but it’s involved repeated trips to the dealership, and assurances that i would have to have sales help me in loading the app in the car and on my phone. Well, Sales said they wouldn’t be able to fix it either. All in all, this issue has taken repeated phone calls to both the dealer and toyota corporate and also the remote assist people, repeated visits to the dealer, much frustration by myself, and a waste of time by techs and the dealership.

Why if this was the T-SB that was published here and should have been a well known fix to the dealer since it applied to multiple models? I can sort'a understand if it was a hardware replacement. But known problems and you could have just presented them the T-SB and said "try this first".

I get great service as I'm sure my records show up as "he completes customer surveys honestly". 2 in the last week.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I suspect the issue might be too new and that a TSB will be forthcoming. I’m sure all these new tech issues can be solved if toyota corporate would just allow more warranty repair time at the dealerships so that techs can make calls to corporate and get info right away. I suspect techs are given a specific amount of time to troubleshoot and then take a stab at the issue, whether the repair is appropriate or not.

I’m the aircraft industry, we would spend many hours troubleshooting and learning new systems on our own planes. If we took them to a service center, we often encountered similar problems to Toyota dealerships. We had to educate ourselves and spent a lot of time on the phone with the manufacturers tech support folks, who were also learning the new products and systems. Often it was a collaborative approach. Many times we solved the issues ourselves, then we shared that info with the manufacturers, who shared it with all the customers. I wish Toyota would share. They won’t.

·
Registered
2020 Limited AWD - Blizzard Pearl/Black
553 Posts
My dad's 2020 Corolla LE was doing the same thing.

On his I forgot his Corolla in his phone Bluetooth settings then cleared the cache/data of his Toyota app. On his infotainment screen I went in and deleted personal data. After it finished I allowed it to download the update when prompted then install when prompted again. I did not click the download/install in background.

I then went into the Entune App Suite part of the infotainment setup menu and disabled everything there, as shown below.

Gadget Font Audio equipment Multimedia Electronic device

I then re-paired his phone to the car via Bluetooth and signed back into the Toyota App on his phone.

His download error has not returned. Not all of this may be required, it's just what I did when troubleshooting his issue. Good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts