Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

2020 Hybrid in a blizzard

7K views 35 replies 18 participants last post by  Windyhills 
#1 ·
My Lexus was in an accident so the dealer gave me a loaner four-wheel-drive 2020 RAV4 LE. This car is very unrefined and shifts like a motorcycle. It is really loud, with a very unrefined drivetrain. Of course my 2020 Limited hybrid RAV4 is very luxurious and comfortable. A pleasure to drive compared to this.
With that being said: We had a very nasty snow storm blizzard that dumped over 24 inches of snow and the bottom of the road is very icy. I wanted to see how the 2020 hybrid would handle this. It was disappointing to say the least. The back tires are only driven by the hybrid battery and not connected mechanically to a transfer case so it is what it is. Long story short the car performed miserably in these unusually treacherous conditions.

This is where the non-hybrid RAV4 really impressed me. The all -wheel-drive system is truly amazing. The traction was very impressive and the car handled almost as well as a real four-wheel-drive vehicle with a dedicated transfer case. I used to have a 4 Runner so I am very familiar with four-wheel-drive. The only good thing I can say about this car is it’s ability to handle really bad conditions because of the superior four-wheel-drive system compared to the hybrid. This car absolutely shined in these conditions. Unfortunately if it’s not a blizzard outside this car is like a kids go cart compared to our hybrid RAV4. Driving it every day is tiring because it is not smooth, very loud, and honestly the transmission shifts like an old school bus. I was really surprised Toyota would even produce a vehicle with such an unrefined transmission. I can’t stop thinking about how amazing the car was in deep snow, and how it fails everywhere else.

See less See more
#2 ·
My Lexus was in an accident so the dealer gave me a loaner four-wheel-drive 2020 RAV4 LE. This car is very unrefined and shifts like a motorcycle. It is really loud, with a very unrefined drivetrain. Of course my 2020 Limited hybrid RAV4 is very luxurious and comfortable. A pleasure to drive compared to this.
With that being said: We had a very nasty snow storm blizzard that dumped over 24 inches of snow and the bottom of the road is very icy. I wanted to see how the 2020 hybrid would handle this. It was disappointing to say the least. The back tires are only driven by the hybrid battery and not connected mechanically to a transfer case so it is what it is. Long story short the car performed miserably in these unusually treacherous conditions.

This is where the non-hybrid RAV4 really impressed me. The all -wheel-drive system is truly amazing. The traction was very impressive and the car handled almost as well as a real four-wheel-drive vehicle with a dedicated transfer case. I used to have a 4 Runner so I am very familiar with four-wheel-drive. The only good thing I can say about this car is it’s ability to handle really bad conditions because of the superior four-wheel-drive system compared to the hybrid. This car absolutely shined in these conditions. Unfortunately if it’s not a blizzard outside this car is like a kids go cart compared to our hybrid RAV4. Driving it every day is tiring because it is not smooth, very loud, and honestly the transmission shifts like an old school bus. I was really surprised Toyota would even produce a vehicle with such an unrefined transmission. I can’t stop thinking about how amazing the car was in deep snow, and how it fails everywhere else.
When I was on the market for a new car, I considered the gas RAV4 and a Honda Pilot for the AWD, but both has lousy, unrefined automatic transmissions. I wasn't going to drive a car that would give a whiplash everytime it shifted. I wished there was a manual option for these cars. I can shift better than these automatic transmissions. I can live with the weak awd of the hybrid.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

#3 ·

The LE, gas version of the RAV is loud. We have the XSE Hybrid version and it’s significantly quieter.

The AWD on the RAV is exceptional. The wheelbase appears to be perfect for the way the system is designed.

#6 ·
On the 2019 gas models, Toyota did not include sound deadening under the hood. The hybrids came out a bit later and Toyota learned from their rushed job, so the hybrids have sounddeadening. Now the 2020 gas models have sound deadening under the hood. This engine is naturally loud. It does not bother me.

#7 ·

I will make this short. I have lived and driven in the Colorado snowbelt for 45 years. My 2020 LE hybrid is as solid and capable in snow as any vehicle I have ever experienced, including the 4x4 two-speed transfer case vehicle it replaced.

#10 ·

I will also make this short. I drove an AWD LE gas RAV for two weeks last summer. Like you, I was astounded that Toyota had produced and sold such a miserable vehicle. Loud, coarse engine, and a slam bang, clang transmission. Plus the rear viz was poor, the interior cheap, and the seat comfort lousy.

Completely soured me on the new RAV. Only comparable new vehicle I also have driven for several weeks was a Jeep Compass. Two crappy peas in a pod, and when a flagship model Toyota is comparable to a low end Jeep somebody messed up, bad.

E)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#16 ·
I will also make this short. I drove an AWD LE gas RAV for two weeks last summer. Like you, I was astounded that Toyota had produced and sold such a miserable vehicle. Loud, coarse engine, and a slam bang, clang transmission. Plus the rear viz was poor, the interior cheap, and the seat comfort lousy.

Completely soured me on the new RAV. Only comparable new vehicle I also have driven for several weeks was a Jeep Compass. Two crappy peas in a pod, and when a flagship model Toyota is comparable to a low end Jeep somebody messed up, bad.

E)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not sure I'd call a RAV4 a flagship, it is their small SUV, nothing more. I agree with the Compass being called a real turd though.

#11 ·
Just curious, what is the hybrid's AWD weakness compared to the gas AWD? Not enough power to the rear?

I am in Texas and have no real snow. But I have driven my XSE in light off road situations on my ranch. Like into a dry pond, climbing rocky slopes etc. I thought it did fine even with the factory Dunlops. It really never noticed any adversity. Not sure the TRAIL MODE button did any good I used it anyway. When I stopped in the middle of a rocky slope and restart on purpose, I see one bar of power to the front and five to the rear. Not sure if the bars are drawn to scale, ie, the back was getting 5X the torque at the moment.

#20 ·
Take it like this:
I live in the snowiest metropolitan city in the United States. Where I live you need real four-wheel-drive. Like a 4 Runner with severe snow use tires.
In 2014 to date our winters have become extremely mild. Winter is not like it used to be. Which is why I now own a RAV4. I just can’t justify The gas guzzling big four-wheel-drive vehicle for maybe only 2 to 3 really bad storms in the entire winter season. Used to have over 20. Global warming maybe, anyways I own the largest Ariens fuel injection snowblower they make. This winter so far I used it only 3 times.
So when I tell you the standard gasoline RAV4 has superior winter four-wheel-drive. I truly know what I am talking about. It is not just a little bit better, it could probably pull the hybrid RAV4 sideways in a snowstorm When the hybrid gets stuck.

#25 ·
Or take it like this:

The hybrid represents a roughly 80% solution for those within the continental US. It’s satisfies the requirements for most daily drivers. The OP is is a unique situation and admits to assessing the risk based on recent winters and chose the wrong vehicle. That is ok. People’s lives don’t stop over some snow. This is why that make vehicles with better awd/4wd systems. It’s ok to state that the hybrid’s awd system does not meet their needs.

#29 ·

This is where the non-hybrid RAV4 really impressed me. The all -wheel-drive system is truly amazing. The traction was very impressive and the car handled almost as well as a real four-wheel-drive vehicle with a dedicated transfer case. I used to have a 4 Runner so I am very familiar with four-wheel-drive. The only good thing I can say about this car is it’s ability to handle really bad conditions because of th four-wheel-drive system compared to the hybrid. This car absolutely shined in these conditions. Unfortunately if it’s not a blizzard outside this car is like a kids go cart compared to our hybrid RAV4. Driving it every day is tiring because it is not smooth, very loud, and honestly the transmission shifts like an old school bus. I was really surprised Toyota would even produce a vehicle with such an unrefined transmission. I can’t stop thinking about how amazing the car was in deep snow, and how it fails everywhere else.
Have a 2019 rav4hybrid, limited, live in Bc and travel mountain passes, regularly, travelled in blizzard conditions, with 30+ vehicles in the ditch in a 15 km stretch of highway, hybrid handled excellant.have equipped with good snow tires. Went to sons house, very steep driveway, 5-6” fresh snow with freezing rain on a concrete driveway, did not spin a tire, actually backed part way stop, piped and tried again, vehicle was awesomely. ABsolutely no issues on snow and icy conditions. Probably 2000 of the 16000kms have been on icy, snow covered roads

#30 ·
Have a 2019 rav4hybrid, limited, live in Bc and travel mountain passes, regularly, travelled in blizzard conditions, with 30+ vehicles in the ditch in a 15 km stretch of highway, hybrid handled excellant.have equipped with good snow tires. Went to sons house, very steep driveway, 5-6” fresh snow with freezing rain on a concrete driveway, did not spin a tire, actually backed part way stop, piped and tried again, vehicle was awesomely. ABsolutely no issues on snow and icy conditions. Probably 2000 of the 16000kms have been on icy, snow covered roads
Well with snow tires, any vehicle can go anywhere, including 2WD.

#32 ·
Quote: "It was disappointing to say the least. The back tires are only driven by the hybrid battery and not connected mechanically to a transfer case so it is what it is. Long story short the car performed miserably in these unusually treacherous conditions."

If you're able to send power to the wheel(s) with most traction, where it's needed, I can't see any advantage of having an AWD system that mechanically connects the front and rear axles. The hybrid's AWD doesn't only engage when there's slippage, but is also always turned ON at low speeds during take-off, during turning maneuvers (low speed), climbing hills, etc (when AWD is most helpful). 'Trail' mode will try to send even more power to the wheel that's not slipping. The hybrid's AWD is not as sophisticated as Toyota's high-end torque-vectoring AWD system, but should be comparable to their regular mechanical AWD system. The mechanical linkage should not make any significant difference.

My very limited experience with my 2019 Hybrid's AWD system has been positive (even with OEM all-season Dunlop tires). I especially like how the vehicle feels during turns (whether on dry or treacherous road surfaces).

#36 ·
I'm assuming the OP isn't driving on 2 feet of snow--but on roads that have had the snow cleared (or most of it cleared).

2 feet is pushing it for big very capable 4 wheel trucks. I had my hemi Ram with high clearance, good tires and limited slip in snow that was a bit shy of that deep several months back, it went through fine but it's as much plowing as it was driving. Plowing as in you literally had to take care to knock packed snow out every now and then so it wouldn't freeze and lead to physical damage of the vehicle.

The RAV has much less clearance than that truck--it is not going through two feet of snow and maintaining traction, I can guarantee that!

The OP's situation --and others--is impossible to use as a gauge of snow-worthiness without knowing which tires were involved.

Tires can make a significant difference--and in fact some OEM tires (Dunlops I believe) are just plain going to be lousy in the snow--and there were multiple reviews on them a year or so back that suggested their braking performance was really bad too.

The new hybrid AWD system does have power distribution to wheels that's better than it was in the past. It's still not as good as more direct AWD systems and variousyoutube tests have shown it's shortcomings--especially on loose/slippery surfaces--but in our experience in a MN winter with quite a bit of snow it's been pretty good with the Blizaak tires we put on for winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.