Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm a new member, and owner of a 2020 Hybrid XLE
The used car had only one key fob, and now I need a duplicate.
What is your experience, did you buy it at the Toyota dealer (how much did you pay?) or is it possible to buy it somewhere else at a cheaper price? Is it covered by the car warranty?
Thank you

·
Registered
2019 RAV4 Hybrid XSE
495 Posts
The used cars that we have bought we have always asked for two keys as part of the deal. That is the best time to get it. If you just got it, I would go back and give it try. But chances are that now they will try to make money.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I bought a used pick up truck some years back that only had one fob. When I asked about the other one, the sales guy just shrugged. I sprung for a second at the dealer, then years later while installing something that needed the interior panels out of the way, I found a (now) third key/fob buried underneath.
New fobs are pretty pricey and they need to be recognized by the vehicle, so there isn't a good way to get around the dealer.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Don't but a used fob, if you value the convenience of SKS.

BEST to buy a NEW fob from a Toyota dealer who sells parts online.

If Costco member, you can get 15% off parts from select participating dealers.

Price shop dealers for programming fees. Some Automotive locksmiths should be able to do this for a cheaper fee.

New car warranty would NOT cover a lost fob. A new replacement fob will likely have a 12mo/12 or 15k mile warranty. Also, no warranty for lost fob. This is the cost of vehicle ownership.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At least I proved that it wasn’t in the description of the car, that came with only one key, so they gave me a $200 discount, but I’m worried that it will cost more than that…

·
Registered
481 Posts
You will be spending more the $200. You can ask seller to pay for the new key and programming. They will say NO. I'm sure next used car you purchase will have two keys or purchase price will be discounted to reflect 2nd key.

If you loose all keys, you will pretty much have to have car towed to dealer to get new keys programed to car. There are all kinds of hacks offering discounted service to do this. Do you want to take that gamble of saving a little bit at the risk of bricking some ECUS that will likely costs $1,000s to replace; not much of a savings if this happens.

Its time for you to do some work.
1) Identify the correct fob, by identifying you VIN w/in this link from parts.toyota.com.
OR, maybe the partnumber is readily visible on the fob iteself.

2) You can search "OEM Toyota Parts" to see links to various sites that sell OEM Toyota parts. Some of these sites are geunie dealers, others are not dealers, but 3rd party part sellers that sell parts for Toyota cars. You can verify some of these sites by searching the phone number, address, etc, on the website; these information will often lead back to an actual dealership. You local dealership might match the online dealer price; you have to call and ask. Worse they can say is NO. Don't forget Costco.

3) Search "Auto Locksmith your zipcode". You could also use the evil Yelp to help find auto locksmith. Find out cost for NEW keyfob programing, key cut, and deleting the lost keyfob. Dealer can definitely delete lost fobs.

4) Find out cost dealer charges for new key fob programming, key cut, and deletion of lost fob, to make sure Auto Locksmiths are cheap.

5) This company seems to sell key fobs that MIGHT be new. You would need to verify this.

6) All kinds of places sell USED fobs. Not worth the little savings on the part, b/c you have to pay for dealer level programming to get the used fob to work correctly.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts