Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

381 - 400 of 423 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Likely, Toyota hybrid SUVs have same issues e.g. RAV4, highlander. Someone here sold back RAV4 hybrid 2019 and got highlander due to tank issues. Some owners of 2020 hybrid highlander report tank issues now.
Traded my Rav4 2017 and got a 2020 Highlander Hybrid Platinum this week. I Will update if I have any fuel tank issues.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you have a 2020 Rav4 that will be sitting for days without being driven, try putting the key fob in battery-saving mode.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you have a 2020 Rav4 that will be sitting for days without being driven, try putting the key fob in battery-saving mode.
The 2021s should be shipping soon. You can build an order one through Toyota.com. I wonder if the 21s will have all of the same issues with the battery going dead?

·
Registered
🇨🇦 2020 RAV4 XLE Hybrid - Super White
663 Posts
For those looking to monitor your battery on a budget, hope this helps fellow hybrid/gas owners.

I recently purchased an Ancel BST200 to check my battery's health after all the dead batteries being posted. Cross checking the Ancel's voltage test with the car's service diagnostic menu out of curiosity, I can report that it shows the same values in both accessory mode and READY ON (for hybrids). I returned the battery tester and put the $ towards a Li-on jump pack in the trunk instead for the "just in case".

To access the service menu (works on both non-JBL, and JBL units):
  1. Start your car in accessory mode (press start 2x), or fully (brake + start). Starting in accessory mode will tell you what charge/health your battery is at while doing nothing (ideal), starting fully will display the charging voltage.
  2. On the infotainment press "Menu" > "display" icon near the bottom right > screen off
  3. Once the screen is off, press the "Seek" button 5 times then press the "Track" button 5 times. A service menu should show up, continue as shown (borrowed images from youtube):

Here's a handy chart for those wondering how to read the voltages.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have had my 2020 XLE Hybrid for about 2 months. On 2 different occasions the car would not start due to the battery being drained. Dealer kept the car for 4 days each time and could not find the issue. Car was definitely turned off, all lights off, and keyfob was not left in the car. Is anyone else having this problem?
This is so disappointing, for the third time since getting the car in December it just happened again. After much pressure they replaced the battery in April after the second time. But here I am again doubting the reliability of my expense new car.
The dealer has it now. After talking to Toyota corporate, they suggested having it towed in it's "dead" state rather than jumping battery and driving to dealer. I'll post again when we get results.
Good luck to us all with this problem

·
Registered
7 Posts
The 2021s should be shipping soon. You can build an order one through Toyota.com. I wonder if the 21s will have all of the same issues with the battery going dead?
My 2021 Hybrid is slated to be built on 10/05/20 -- I will be watching for these issues to pop up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
For those looking to monitor your battery on a budget, hope this helps fellow hybrid/gas owners.

I recently purchased an Ancel BST200 to check my battery's health after all the dead batteries being posted. Cross checking the Ancel's voltage test with the car's service diagnostic menu out of curiosity, I can report that it shows the same values in both accessory mode and READY ON (for hybrids). I returned the battery tester and put the $ towards a Li-on jump pack in the trunk instead for the "just in case".

To access the service menu (works on both non-JBL, and JBL units):
  1. Start your car in accessory mode (press start 2x), or fully (brake + start). Starting in accessory mode will tell you what charge/health your battery is at while doing nothing (ideal), starting fully will display the charging voltage.
  2. On the infotainment press "Menu" > "display" icon near the bottom right > screen off
  3. Once the screen is off, press the "Seek" button 5 times then press the "Track" button 5 times. A service menu should show up, continue as shown (borrowed images from youtube):
View attachment 156761
View attachment 156762
View attachment 156763

Here's a handy chart for those wondering how to read the voltages.
View attachment 156764
May I ask which Li-ON jump pack did you buy?

·
Registered
🇨🇦 2020 RAV4 XLE Hybrid - Super White
663 Posts
May I ask which Li-ON jump pack did you buy?
This one, has decent reviews, and doesn't have oodles of fake reviews:

Bonus, it has an AC output for some lakeside laptop work 🍻

·
Registered
32 Posts
This one, has decent reviews, and doesn't have oodles of fake reviews:

Bonus, it has an AC output for some lakeside laptop work 🍻
Pretty cool -Thank You

·
Registered
3 Posts
I first found this discussion group last month after having a battery failure at about 1000 miles. Finally got into dealer, but during an internet outage locally. As a result, they couldn't check the reference numbers some of you provided (thanks anyway) for tech bulletins, etc, but they offered to check the battery. Eventually they replaced it, despite not having the corporate approval to do it. This suggests to me they are aware of the problem (another customer was in the same day with a similar complaint) and made the simplest fix available. Problem hasn't recurred, but I have this site bookmarked!

·
Registered
562 Posts
I suggest that you watch some of the YOUTUBE videos on the Venza. I was very interested in purchasing one until I found out that all of the radio and heat/AC controls are buried in the infotainment center. No knobs or buttons on the dash. In my state it is illegal for me to drive and play with a cellphone. Toyota now wants me to play with a computer screen while driving. I have no idea what Toyota was thinking in this design. Honda tried this a couple of years ago, and was heavily criticized for no radio knobs.
John,

I came to the same conclusion.

I think it is safer to have knobs you can feel to adjust.

Touch screen will distract the driver.

I really like the big knobs on the Rav 4 and that is why I decided to buy a second Rav 4 over the Venza

·
Registered
562 Posts
WHAT CHANGED?

We own a 2019 hybrid Rav 4 and never experienced any battery drain and it sits a lot so if it was prone to drain it would have the opportunity.

My question is what changed from 2019 to 2020?

They are identical but yet not because the battery drain is only occurring in the 2020 model year from my reading on the forum.

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
1,094 Posts
WHAT CHANGED?

We own a 2019 hybrid Rav 4 and never experienced any battery drain and it sits a lot so if it was prone to drain it would have the opportunity.

My question is what changed from 2019 to 2020?

They are identical but yet not because the battery drain is only occurring in the 2020 model year from my reading on the forum.
Software changed (we know that because of Android Auto) and maybe some supporting communications hardware you don't really see changed it seems. I haven't seen a similar problem posted for a 2019 but many for a 2020.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Software changed (we know that because of Android Auto) and maybe some supporting communications hardware you don't really see changed it seems. I haven't seen a similar problem posted for a 2019 but many for a 2020.
Mike

Thanks for the explanation. I got Android auto on my Prime but I have not messed with it.
I thought the dealer told me I had to download it.
I am an Apple guy so I have no need to download.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Go get a $40 battery analyzer on Amazon (not a load tester, an analyzer*) set it to AGM mode and run it on the 12 V battery. I bet it will say replace battery for anyone having these starting issues.

* these run tests like internal battery resistance, unlike a load tester they don’t stress the battery, but still give a good indication of remaining life.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is so disappointing, for the third time since getting the car in December it just happened again. After much pressure they replaced the battery in April after the second time. But here I am again doubting the reliability of my expense new car.
The dealer has it now. After talking to Toyota corporate, they suggested having it towed in it's "dead" state rather than jumping battery and driving to dealer. I'll post again when we get results.
Good luck to us all with this problem
Update, they had the car for several days, did all the appropriate tests and found nothing. The car had been sitting just 36 hours so it wasn't that. They suggest user error, double pressing the start button when turning off the car so it goes into accessory mode. But, really? Who leaves the car with a lit up dashboard? Not me. I am so sad about this. I really feel my car is undependable. When I called roadside assist it was 90 minutes before they came (they are busy, what can you say?) I would hate to have to wait that long in an uncomfortable place. So Sad.......

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
1,094 Posts
I only had the battery failure once since I bought the RAV4 in May, after about 10 days of ownership. I jumped it, took it to the dealer where the Remote Connect TSB was installed. It has always started since, but still with all other experiences here I still wondered about it as being a remote worker now my driving is now only short distances every couple of days.

I installed the BM300 battery monitor yesterday morning on my Limited. Once I got the app installed and it registered it showed my battery charge at 18%! I immediately drove around about 17 miles around my town, and when I parked it yesterday outside around 2pm with the doors locked it was at 82%. This morning at 7pm checked it again..down to 52%. Something is drawing it down, but after only one day of monitoring I really don't have a feel for what is "normal". I do wonder if swapping the battery with one that has more reserve power would be worthwhile. View attachment 156202

But the very fact that you installed something that must sit there and be awake for a query from your phone means it is using battery power in the same manner as whatever is draining the battery in the first place. Doesn't it? Or does the unit have its own internal battery?

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid Limited Silver over Black
46 Posts
But the very fact that you installed something that must sit there and be awake for a query from your phone means it is using battery power in the same manner as whatever is draining the battery in the first place. Doesn't it? Or does the unit have its own internal battery?
It draws 1.5mA when on, an extremely low current draw that is negligible. There really isn't any other way to test and verify what's going on with the car without using such a device.

I posted in one of the other Dead Battery threads what I have found so far. Check it out:

381 - 400 of 423 Posts