Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
121 - 140 of 722 Posts
I haven't read a case from another user where the battery dies in an apartment or condo parking garage (correct me if I'm wrong) because the car is far removed from the fob, and usually an underground garage gets no signal - it's very possible the car activates itself somehow being in close proximity to the fob in residential home garages. Usually the distance of the fob from the car is no more than 10 meters, stupid, I know, but just a thought.
My RAV4 is parked in a condo garage, all concrete construction.
My experience here.

My RAV4 is parked in a condo garage, all concrete construction.
My experience here.
Good read, guess I skimmed over that one. Really weirded out on what this issue might be for some users. I haven't experienced anything, nor does it sound like there's any indicators to look out for to avoid it. Sounds just like a knife in the shadow waiting to stab you... From my understanding batteries found in hybrid vehicles in the trunk are smaller since they only power up the computer and a handful of electrical things.

Is it possible Toyota installed a batch of batteries that were already acid activated well before they were supposed to be activated, thus having a reduced lifespan? It sounds like once the battery is replaced that tends to remedy the problem (for now).

Good read, guess I skimmed over that one. Really weirded out on what this issue might be for some users. I haven't experienced anything, nor does it sound like there's any indicators to look out for to avoid it. Sounds just like a knife in the shadow waiting to stab you... From my understanding batteries found in hybrid vehicles in the trunk are smaller since they only power up the computer and a handful of electrical things.

Is it possible Toyota installed a batch of batteries that were already acid activated well before they were supposed to be activated, thus having a reduced lifespan? It sounds like once the battery is replaced that tends to remedy the problem (for now).
I already had the smaller battery replaced. The car has gone dead two more times

How about they relay that some users had replaced because it caused battery to drain/not work. Maybe lead Toyota corporate calls and dealerships to look into this solution.

Ref;

Do all you that have had the dead battery problem use the Toyota app? I have never used the app, my fob is within 10 feet of the car (through 2 walls), which sits in a garage, and I have not (yet) had the battery issue. Mfg date: 30 January 2020.

Are you talking about the toyota Entune app? I have it but it doesn’t hook up until I’m in the car and it’s running. However I kind of think the app is a waste of time. It doesn’t do anything for me. I also have it in my 2019 tundra. It has more options in the tundra, but again, I never use it.

Have had my 2020 XLE Hybrid for about 2 months. On 2 different occasions the car would not start due to the battery being drained. Dealer kept the car for 4 days each time and could not find the issue. Car was definitely turned off, all lights off, and keyfob was not left in the car. Is anyone else having this problem?

My best guess is more than 40 of us on this site. There are two topics, this one and another one, 2020 XLE premium battery dead. Have you contacted toyota corporate and made a case number? Don’t expect the dealer to do it.

Have had my 2020 XLE Hybrid for about 2 months. On 2 different occasions the car would not start due to the battery being drained. Dealer kept the car for 4 days each time and could not find the issue. Car was definitely turned off, all lights off, and keyfob was not left in the car. Is anyone else having this problem?
I’ve had mine since Feb 2020, the only issue I have is the remote connect does not work, waiting for dealer to address, apparently there’s a fix.

My 2020 hybrid Limited died yesterday. Bought April 2019. It had been parked indoors for 10 days since last driven. I'm really not happy to be dealing with this during a shelter in place.

Discussion starter · #133 ·
Everyone who had the problem needs to open a case with Toyota Customer Care and say they feel their car is a lemon. They will assign a case number and case manager. This is the way to get their attention. It also gets it documented if you have to proceed with your state's lemon law.
I have not had the issue for the past 2 months. I turned off the Electronic Parking Brake from going on automatically when you put the car in park. I set it manually if I am parked on a hill. I leave it off if I park the car for the night.
The Honda CRV had a similar issue in the past.

Hey Guys,

Its my first time owning a hybrid but why is the 12V battery for 2019/2020 Rav4 Hybrid so expensive? Just checked random dealership websites (Part# 28800-21220) and it seems to be in a $850-$1000 range?!?! Are there any aftermarket companies making 12V batteries for hybrids?

Hey Guys,

Its my first time owning a hybrid but why is the 12V battery for 2019/2020 Rav4 Hybrid so expensive? Just checked random dealership websites (Part# 28800-21220) and it seems to be in a $850-$1000 range?!?! Are there any aftermarket companies making 12V batteries for hybrids?
Toyota's inflated prices...standard 45Ah AGM which is required in the hybrids since the battery is located within the cabin should run <@$300usd

Yes... Just today, my moms 2020 hybrid Rav4 xle won’t start either. Car has been parked for two days without anyone using it. It’s raining and gloomy right now. Could that be why???

May I ask.?
Are these North American built Hybrids or Japanese built? All pano roof is Japanese built.
Once Kentucky get up and going they will also build pano roof.

I follow the Honda CRV forums just out of curiosity over the status of the gas in oil problem and to see how owners are reacting.

Curiously, Honda owners are posting similar experiences with batteries and unexplained discharges.

Which leads me to wonder if the problem is in the cars or in a phone or phone app.

Suggestion post your phone, OS version and any apps that you run that you think might be talking to the Rav4.

121 - 140 of 722 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.