Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 RAV4 and I noticed that my a/c was not working. I took it to the dealer and they stated that the a/c compressor was busted due to a rock or something that hit it. The dealer refused to fix it, because it was not in the warranty. It was $1700 to fix it. I then complained and they called me back, stating they'll fix it and I will need to pay $450.00. I still think they should be responsible because this is a design flaw. How can a rock bust the compressor even though there is a front grill? Has anyone had this problem?

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Are you sure that it was the compressor that was damaged and not the condenser coils?

·
Registered
348 Posts
... a/c was not working. I took it to the dealer and they stated that the a/c compressor condenser was busted due to a rock or something that hit it. The dealer refused to fix it, because it was not in the warranty. ... this is a design flaw. How can a rock bust the compressor condenser even though there is a front grill? Has anyone had this problem?
1) Automotive AC parts, location, and function.
2) Dealer's refusal was correct! The condenser needs air flow for the AC to work properly, in case you did NOT know. Therefore, NOT a design FLAW! The condenser MUST sit in front of the radiator, but behind the grill, for some protection. Unfortunately, the grill has some openings for the necessary air flow for the condenser and radiator. This position and the grill openings, makes the condenser and radiator, susceptible and prone to damage from road debris. NO Auto Manufacture warrants against road debris. This is the inherent risk, a driver automatically assumes by driving on public roads.
3) You are NOT alone. Countless people have had road debris case damage to their condenser.
4) You should be especially nice to that service writer/manager. He/She is committing Fraud by saying the busted condenser is NOT due to road debris. Give them 5starts on the review, for quickly repairing the AC due to a manufacturing defect; LEAVE OUT ROAD DEBRIS!
5) You are being ungrateful! Do you NOT realize, you are only paying 26.47% of the total repair bill ($450/$1700). OR, the Service Writer/Manager is saving your 73.52%!
6) You should be VERY HAPPY.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If its a rock in the condenser, this is usually covered by your car insurance , same as getting a rock in your windshield

·
Registered
250 Posts
No it's not an insurance claim, the windshield you usually pay a additional premium for that type of coverage.

·
Registered
34 Posts
No it's not an insurance claim, the windshield you usually pay a additional premium for that type of coverage.
I always thought glass coverage was a given for auto insurance (at least for anything relatively new)... With the price of windshields these days - not to mention sensor recalibration - I'd make damn sure I had glass coverage unless I lived somewhere with no rocks and stones ;-)

For the AC, Isn't this where comprehensive coverage kicks in? And yes I think the dealer is correct - that's not a warranty issue any more than running over a nail is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It is probably the same as when we were hit by a bucket that flew off another vehicle and hit us. At first the insurance company said it was collision ($1000 deductible) but was able to convince then that it should be comprehensive with a $100 deductible. And yes in most cases windshield repair/replacement is a insurance add-on

·
Registered
899 Posts
1) Automotive AC parts, location, and function.
2) Dealer's refusal was correct! The condenser needs air flow for the AC to work properly, in case you did NOT know. Therefore, NOT a design FLAW! The condenser MUST sit in front of the radiator, but behind the grill, for some protection. Unfortunately, the grill has some openings for the necessary air flow for the condenser and radiator. This position and the grill openings, makes the condenser and radiator, susceptible and prone to damage from road debris. NO Auto Manufacture warrants against road debris. This is the inherent risk, a driver automatically assumes by driving on public roads.
3) You are NOT alone. Countless people have had road debris case damage to their condenser.
4) You should be especially nice to that service writer/manager. He/She is committing Fraud by saying the busted condenser is NOT due to road debris. Give them 5starts on the review, for quickly repairing the AC due to a manufacturing defect; LEAVE OUT ROAD DEBRIS!
5) You are being ungrateful! Do you NOT realize, you are only paying 26.47% of the total repair bill ($450/$1700). OR, the Service Writer/Manager is saving your 73.52%!
6) You should be VERY HAPPY.
You must Shill for Toyota, because this is not correct. Manufacturers have been putting AC condensers in front of radiators for at least 40 years without issue. Most people will drive there entire lives without a condenser issue. Toyota decided to put the condenser as close to the ground as possible - provide basically no protection in front of it, and use the cheapest thinnest material possible. It is a design flaw.

I will site an example. There was absolutely nothing inherently wrong with the ford Pinto and its gas tank. The issue only became an issue if someone was rear ended - hard. In your words, this is the inherent risk of driving and not Ford's problem. Yet it became Ford's problem and almost put them out of business. A bit extreme, but its the same example. In fact the ford example should be less on ford, because for something to happen in their case someone else needs to be negligent - the driver of the vehicle behind. However in the case of the Toyota condenser a rock can hit you without anyone else being negligent, and its quite common.

·
Registered
2021 Limited Hybrid
107 Posts
You must Shill for Toyota, because this is not correct. Manufacturers have been putting AC condensers in front of radiators for at least 40 years without issue. Most people will drive there entire lives without a condenser issue. Toyota decided to put the condenser as close to the ground as possible - provide basically no protection in front of it, and use the cheapest thinnest material possible. It is a design flaw.

I will site an example. There was absolutely nothing inherently wrong with the ford Pinto and its gas tank. The issue only became an issue if someone was rear ended - hard. In your words, this is the inherent risk of driving and not Ford's problem. Yet it became Ford's problem and almost put them out of business. A bit extreme, but its the same example. In fact the ford example should be less on ford, because for something to happen in their case someone else needs to be negligent - the driver of the vehicle behind. However in the case of the Toyota condenser a rock can hit you without anyone else being negligent, and its quite common.
I had a rock puncture mine once, had to be replaced. It does happen.

·
Registered
348 Posts
You must Shill for Toyota, ...
I just call BS as I see/hear it.
We will agree to disagree on this. You will believe what you want, as will I. We will both continue to go about our lives, independent of ea other, happily ever after.

... There was absolutely nothing inherently wrong with the ford Pinto and its gas tank. The issue only became an issue if someone was rear ended - hard. In your words, this is the inherent risk of driving and not Ford's problem. Yet it became Ford's problem and almost put them out of business.
Pinto example is FAR more critical/urgent. 1) FIRE and DEATH has resulted! I am sure NHTSA got involved along w/ a lot of attorneys.
Your view of Toyota’s bad AC design. OK. Let’s see. 1) Did OP’s Toyota catch FIRE? 2) Did anyone die?
One was a DEADLY design. The other in you opinion is a poor manufacture design placement that results in costly consumer repair expense, but: NO DEATH. NO FIRE.
You don’t agree w/ this logic and assessment; can’t help you there.

The dealer is doing OP a HUGE service by getting the factory to subsidize 73.52% if the repair! If it were me, I’d be happy. But, I am NOT you, and to ea his/her own.

We will continue to agree to disagree on your view of Ford Pinto being a lower case example vs Toyota on design. I guess you are OK with FIRE and DEATH. But not OK w/ having to pay out of pocket for debris induced damage.

I said in Post#3 above:
2) ... The condenser MUST sit in front of the radiator, but behind the grill, for some protection.
You imply I said the exact opposite, which is NOT true. Please re-reread if you like.
... this is not correct. Manufacturers have been putting AC condensers in front of radiators for at least 40 years without issue.
After the AC gets repaired, OP should:
1) Complain to Toyota, NHTSA, an attorney, your elected Congress Person and Senators, and any other government agency.
2) Sell the car and move to a different Toyota model or different manufacture.
3) This will hopefully make OP and you a satisfied driver and vehicle owner of whatever you chose.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I just call BS as I see/hear it.
We will agree to disagree on this. You will believe what you want, as will I. We will both continue to go about our lives, independent of ea other, happily ever after.

Pinto example is FAR more critical/urgent. 1) FIRE and DEATH has resulted! I am sure NHTSA got involved along w/ a lot of attorneys.
Your view of Toyota’s bad AC design. OK. Let’s see. 1) Did OP’s Toyota catch FIRE? 2) Did anyone die?
One was a DEADLY design. The other in you opinion is a poor manufacture design placement that results in costly consumer repair expense, but: NO DEATH. NO FIRE.
You don’t agree w/ this logic and assessment; can’t help you there.

The dealer is doing OP a HUGE service by getting the factory to subsidize 73.52% if the repair! If it were me, I’d be happy. But, I am NOT you, and to ea his/her own.

We will continue to agree to disagree on your view of Ford Pinto being a lower case example vs Toyota on design. I guess you are OK with FIRE and DEATH. But not OK w/ having to pay out of pocket for debris induced damage.

I said in Post#3 above:

You imply I said the exact opposite, which is NOT true. Please re-reread if you like.

After the AC gets repaired, OP should:
1) Complain to Toyota, NHTSA, an attorney, your elected Congress Person and Senators, and any other government agency.
2) Sell the car and move to a different Toyota model or different manufacture.
3) This will hopefully make OP and you a satisfied driver and vehicle owner of whatever you chose.

Good Luck.
If I steal $10 its theft. If I steal $10,000 its still theft the difference being the penalty if caught. The OP is not asking for a million dollar settlement - he is asking Toyota honor their warranty as written. If a tiny stone can destroy your air conditioner while driving down the road - that fails the UCC fitness for purpose clause, and Toyota should warrant it. In common law terms - no reasonable person would accept this. Yes, if a 3 inch rock punched a hole through the grill and smashed the condenser it would be a different story. However if a stone small enough to come through the grill can destroy it then it doesn't meet the UCC standard because the car was intended to drive down the road.

The Pinto example is pertinent and the same, and yes it was the most extreme example I could think of. The flaw was similar in concept - if not in end result.

It is a design flaw. Several people have had this issue. Even more have added their own screen to the bottom of the grill - including me. Toyota and every other manufacture have made cars for decades without having this issue. Nothing inherently has changed in AC design - Toyota simply chose to use the cheapest, thinnest condenser possible and provide no protection for it.

If you want to defend them I will call you out on it. I have changed several air conditioning condensers in my time - from front end collision damage but never from a stone. I am not uneducated on their purpose, location and function.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts