Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my wife a brand new RAV4 LE and I got myself a Tacoma TRD off road. We are really enjoying our new matching (same color) Toyotas!

Driving her RAV4 the other night I noticed a rather unusual sensation in the steering. I was going 60mph on the freeway with adaptive cruise set. I began noticing that when I attempted to “track” in the lane it felt like I was fighting ruts in the pavement. Like, you begin to get a little resistance in the steering and suddenly it gives way, and you get a little “burst” of steering (which you can feel in the steering wheel). This happens back and forth as you attempt to track in the center of the lane. I initially thought that the lane was in fact rutted and I had just never noticed it before in my other vehicles (figured the RAV4 wheelbase or width may be different and reacting to rutted pavement). However I decided to be sure and so went down the same stretch of highway multiple times to investigate. What I found is that the sensation is actually some kind of “anomaly” related to the adaptive cruise control of the RAV4. The sensation is not detectable AT ALL in the steering when cruise is not on. Further it did not appear to be detectable (at least not as noticeable) in the steering when standard cruise was set (not radar-adaptive).

Has anyone heard of anything like this before? And sorry to make this my first post here. I’m going to contact the service dept at the dealership in the morning. We’ve only had the vehicle for about three days.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well holy smokes. You’re right! Too much time enjoying driving the new cars and not enough time reading the manuals. Thanks very much for the prompt reply. No need to contact the service dept. But holy smokes that’s an annoying “feature”.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You should be able to turn off "lane centering" while still keeping "nudge me back in if I'm drifting out of the lane" enabled. This is my preferred mode of operation on my 2019.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep. Hidden in the menus in the multi information display is the option to turn off the “steering assist” portion of LTA. Crazy there’s so many options. It’s actually quite customizable. I’m relieved it was just a “safety” feature. Now that we know what was doing that we both experimented with it again last night and came away scratching our heads wondering about how anyone could find that useful!

·
Premium Member
7,695 Posts
I gave up on it long time ago, it can work just fine under ideal conditions(no exits, good lane markings and fog line, a preceding vehicle) but those are too infrequent for me to rely on it.

·
Registered
860 Posts
With good lane marking, both left and right, it will drive the car for you in adaptive cruise mode, well until it tells you to put you hands back on the steering wheel.

Yep, I keep it off because of the "rut" feel. Very un-nerving.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I gave up on it long time ago, it can work just fine under ideal conditions(no exits, good lane markings and fog line, a preceding vehicle) but those are too infrequent for me to rely on it.
Same here, I gave up on it long ago.

In my area, the lane markings are so bad (or the car just can't read them) that I'm either bouncing from one side to another or just drifting out of the lane completely.

·
Registered
2020 Rav4 Hybrid XLE + Cold Weather, Ruby Flare Pearl
91 Posts
The hands-on-wheel sensing implementation in general makes me extremely uncomfortable, because it detects by pulling against your hand. If you go with the flow, it turns off. If you’re maintaining constant pressure (like you’re supposed to) and you lose the lane tracking in a turn (like you often do), you’re now starting to turn towards a wall or the next lane...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts