Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
1,386 Posts
Just got the tank fix.
Only averaging 350 miles per tank :cry:

What MPG are you getting? Take a picture of just before each of the next two fuel fills showing the recent trip MPG, the position of the gauge needle, the odometer and your fuel receipt. Lets see what is happening.

Where do you live? What terrain? What speeds? How do you drive (agressive versus experienced hybrid)? What loads is the car carrying? Anything on the roof? Tire Pressures recorded at what temperature and after sitting or after driving? Snow/Rain?

10 gallons times 35 miles per gallon in winter isn't too crazy.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Just got the tank fix.
"Miles per tank" is way too vague for discussion. Is this the dashboard estimate or from a trip meter? If the latter, at what level did you refill? What's your fuel economy? Is this the first tank after the fix?

Don't bother answering those questions. What matters is the amount of fuel pumped in (without forcing more) and the reading on the fuel gauge. The easiest comparison for discussion is to refill when the low fuel light comes on. Second-best is when the range estimate says "Refuel." I would hope you get at least 11.5 gallons with the former and at least 12.3 gallons with the latter.

·
Registered
37 Posts
What MPG are you getting? Take a picture of just before each of the next two fuel fills showing the recent trip MPG, the position of the gauge needle, the odometer and your fuel receipt. Lets see what is happening.

Where do you live? What terrain? What speeds? How do you drive (agressive versus experienced hybrid)? What loads is the car carrying? Anything on the roof? Tire Pressures recorded at what temperature and after sitting or after driving? Snow/Rain?

10 gallons times 35 miles per gallon in winter isn't too crazy.
Just got the tank fix.
No way there must be Something wrong. I get a 340-360 range on a full tank with my gas model

·
Registered
149 Posts
There seems to be some confusion as to what constitutes a tank of gas.
1)DTE reading at first click
2)Reset trip meter at first click and run to low fuel light
3)Reset trip meter at first click and run to indicated empty
4) Fill tank and divide distance traveled by gallons used and multiply by 14.5 which is I believe is total tank capacity and then keep an average of all fill ups.
Substantial difference in either one especially no 1. I expect 3 would be preferred as a relatively high percentage of fuel in tank is used and very few people are comfortable running below empty even though there can be 2 or 3 gallons left.
Not even going to mention environmental conditions or driving habits!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just got the tank fix.
Are you implying that you were averaging lots more than 350 miles per tank prior to the tank fix? As others have commented, in certain driving conditions, it's not abnormal to get 350 miles to the tank, even for the Hybrid RAV4. Most comments from people with the tank fix seem to indicate that, after the fix, they have more usable fuel before the re-fuel light comes ON (meaning more miles per tank than prior to the tank fix). Apparently, the fuel sending unit (fuel gage) was not reading properly (due to tank design), leading to too much reserve fuel remaining in the tank at the trigger of the re-fuel warning light.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Empty light came on at 349.
Just a full tank. Was able to pump on 10.5 gallons.
Clicked at 10 gallons squeezed half a gallon more.
Before fuel tank fix I would pump in only 8 gallons .
Only averaging 350 miles per full tank of gas.
Distance till empty shoes about 440
On a full tank after fix.
Only getting 350 until the gas light turns on.
I will post again after the next fill up.

Attachments

·
Registered
551 Posts
Your reading Total MPG average.
Try Changing the display to Tank MPG average.
My winter average is 36-38 and the summer is 38-42

your DTE will then be about 520-540 as the MPG increases over time.

But, agreed... 350 Miles per tank is Terrible, something is wrong

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your reading Total MPG average.
Try Changing the display to Tank MPG average.
My winter average is 36-38 and the summer is 38-42

your DTE will then be about 520-540 as the MPG increases over time.

But, agreed... 350 Miles per tank is Terrible, something is wrong
00189CC7-4E4B-4309-991E-A81881592E51.jpeg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So am I reading it wrong ?
With a full tank with only 3 miles driven, DTE reads 445.
By the time the fuel warning light turns on I’m at only 350 miles.

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
1,386 Posts

With a 32 MPG average, how are you going to get much more DTE? DTE is a product of a calculation of how much gas there is in the tank, your historical driving style, and the current conditions like temperature.

·
Registered
149 Posts
You say your low fuel light comes on at trip odometer reading of 350 and tank takes approx.10 gallons. Your actual tank range is currently more like 470 miles + or - given your mpg is approx. 35 and tank capacity is 14.5 gallons minus 1 gallon slosh room. The low fuel light is just a reminder to gas up soon as you still have approx. 4 gallons left in fuel tank.

·
Registered
175 Posts
You say your low fuel light comes on at trip odometer reading of 350 and tank takes approx.10 gallons. Your actual tank range is currently more like 470 miles + or - given your mpg is approx. 35 and tank capacity is 14.5 gallons minus 1 gallon slosh room. The low fuel light is just a reminder to gas up soon as you still have approx. 4 gallons left in fuel tank.
I thought that, after the fuel tank fix, the fuel reserve at low fuel warning light ia supposed to go down to 2.5 gallons, matching the owners manual?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yes, I believe most people are reporting around 12 gallons from full to light after the fix. Don't know if that's after first click or several.

·
Registered
886 Posts
It sounds like you expect to drive 445 miles until the low fuel light comes on, which isn't quite right. The warning light should come on with about 30 miles left (plus a heavy amount of reserve fuel even when "empty"). This doesn't make a huge difference, but the fair comparison should be 380 vs 445.

However, there's definitely something weird going on here. If you filled 10.5 gallons at the low fuel light and got a DTE of 448, that implies the car thinks you're getting (448-30)/10.5 = 39.8 MPG. And yet your photos show an average of 25.3 and 32.6 MPG. The latter looks to be the average over just 3 miles, so it's not very informative. But 25.3 vs 39.8 is a shocking difference, and I don't know what to make of it.

Only pumping 10 gallons at the low fuel light isn't a good sign. You should be getting somewhere around 11.5 to 12.3 at that point. 10 gallons is closer to what cars with the problem seem to get. And yet you say you only got 8 gallons before, so at least there's an improvement?

I'm curious -- when you say you got the fix, do you happen to know what they fixed? Which parts did they replace? There's a couple anecdotes of dealerships that just performed a simple meter reset and didn't replace any parts.

Please report back when you refuel again. If possible, let us know:

1) Amount of fuel pumped (and whether you topped off or not)
2) DTE remaining when you pumped (you can press the back button to clear the low fuel message)
3) The car's estimate of your fuel economy
4) The miles driven on that tank

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have this same issue too.
I did the fix to my 2019 XSE and have refueled it several times since then. I do a mix of city and highway driving in the flat areas of Northern California and it has been 50 degrees on average so not very cold.

Long story short, the fix didn't work. My needle stays way above F for about 100 miles which is already inaccurate. I used the odometer to measure how many miles I go before the car tells me to refuel. During my last fill-up, I went 302 miles before the empty light came on and the needle was close to empty. I was only able to fill 10.3 gallons before the first click and it showed the needle way past full. This makes no sense as it is a 14.5 gallon tank with a 2.2 gallon reserve, not a 4.7 gallon reserve. 2.5 gallons is missing still.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts