Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
The 2.5 gallons is still there. It is hiding below the "E" mark on your gas gauge just incase you need it. Just like before credit cards, when you would hide a $20 in the back of your wallet, just in case.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have this same issue too.
I did the fix to my 2019 XSE and have refueled it several times since then. I do a mix of city and highway driving in the flat areas of Northern California and it has been 50 degrees on average so not very cold.

Long story short, the fix didn't work. My needle stays way above F for about 100 miles which is already inaccurate. I used the odometer to measure how many miles I go before the car tells me to refuel. During my last fill-up, I went 302 miles before the empty light came on and the needle was close to empty. I was only able to fill 10.3 gallons before the first click and it showed the needle way past full. This makes no sense as it is a 14.5 gallon tank with a 2.2 gallon reserve, not a 4.7 gallon reserve. 2.5 gallons is missing still.
I'm in the same situation, 2020 XSE.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had my gas tank replaced the last week of December and finally needed to fill it up today.

I drove it until it got to ”0 Distance to Empty”. The low fuel light came in around “30 Distance to Empty”.

It took 12.06 gallons when the gas pump first clicked off. That leaves about 2.5 gallons of reserve at 0 DTE which is better by 1-2 gallons from what I was getting before.

My average MPG for this tank was 37.5 (it has been a cold few weeks in Nashville area). I did do one more click on the fill-up and it went to 12.4 gallons. I won’t do that in the future so I don’t mess up the filling system.

After filling with the 12.4 gallons, the DTE shows 531 miles which is higher than I’ve ever seen. It was typically in the 450-470 range.

I’m not sure if it uses the most recent tank average or the vehicle average MPG to calculate the DTE. It seems it must use higher than my recent 37.5. If the DTE goes to 0 at around 12 gallons used (2.5 gallons in reserve) then 531/12 = 44.25 MPG which is too high as my average in the warmer months are around 40-41MPG. I did pump in a little extra gas so the 531 DTE / 12.4 gallons = 42.8 mpg which is closer to my overall average.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Just filled up tonight. DTE was at refuel. I did not do it on purpose. Took 13 gallons. DTE said 430 after fill up.
Good! It's OK to go until it says to refuel, so don't sweat it too much. The best guess of this forum is there's supposed to be 1.5 gallons left in the tank at that point, which jives well with filling 13 gallons. Driving much further than that isn't a good idea, though, to prolong the life of the car's fuel pump.

·
Registered
2020 Limited Hybrid
120 Posts
Got my 2020 Limited Hybrid back tonight after 3 repairs, one being the tank. The tank was full from the dealer which surprised me, the needle was farther past the F on the dash that I ever saw before. DTE was around 454. I was only seeing 390 DTE on my recent fill-ups and it definitely got worse since I bought the car last Jan. So we will see how this goes with the new tank, fingers crossed!

The mirror fix was done as well, will have to test on the freeway tomorrow, but they don't vibrate anymore when I shut the door, so I am thinking it will be improved.

I got the lastest Firmware update done, and now the Toyota connect works, good thing, I have about 5 days left of the free service! LMAO.

I will report back on the tank results after I have a few fill ups, that could be a while without much travel these days.

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
1,386 Posts
Got my 2020 Limited Hybrid back tonight after 3 repairs, one being the tank. The tank was full from the dealer which surprised me, the needle was farther past the F on the dash that I ever saw before. DTE was around 454. I was only seeing 390 DTE on my recent fill-ups and it definitely got worse since I bought the car last Jan. So we will see how this goes with the new tank, fingers crossed!

The mirror fix was done as well, will have to test on the freeway tomorrow, but they don't vibrate anymore when I shut the door, so I am thinking it will be improved.

I got the lastest Firmware update done, and now the Toyota connect works, good thing, I have about 5 days left of the free service! LMAO.

I will report back on the tank results after I have a few fill ups, that could be a while without much travel these days.

Ever think of asking for an extension of the free service since you didn't actually receive it because of the firmware problem? Maybe call Toyota, not the dealer. That should have been part of the DCM fix.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there, I’m having the same problem with my 2020 Hybrid limited. After I got the gas tank fix back in Dec, I filled up for the first time and it clicked at 9.7 gallons, didn’t top off. I was at 40 miles till DTE prior to filling.

My daily driving is minimal these days as I drive in the city in the Bay Area only to daycare and the grocery store prob 3-4 miles a day, no highway.

I’m wondering if there’s an update I didn’t get or an additional fix is needed. Prior to the fix my MPG was really low from 27-29.

is something off?

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
1,386 Posts
Hi there, I’m having the same problem with my 2020 Hybrid limited. After I got the gas tank fix back in Dec, I filled up for the first time and it clicked at 9.7 gallons, didn’t top off. I was at 40 miles till DTE prior to filling.

My daily driving is minimal these days as I drive in the city in the Bay Area only to daycare and the grocery store prob 3-4 miles a day, no highway.

I’m wondering if there’s an update I didn’t get or an additional fix is needed. Prior to the fix my MPG was really low from 27-29.

is something off?
You start the car and the ICE starts to warm the anti-freeze and the oil and the ICE itself so it will be ready to go and then you stop. Only to start it again and have to do all that again on the way home. When starting, the air fuel mix is richer (more fuel) to get the catalytic converters warmed up. So you are always driving in the worst case mode.

·
Registered
2020 Rav4 Hybrid XSE
13 Posts
I'll be bringing my 2020 XSE Hybrid in for its second maintence soon. On my first visit I mentioned the fueling issue as well as the rattling mirrors. Any advice of what I should say again now that people are actually getting "fixes" for these things so my dealer doesn't blow me off about filling and the gas gauge only going to about 3/4 each time? Thank you all in advance and glad to see there are things being done about this finally.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I'll be bringing my 2020 XSE Hybrid in for its second maintence soon. On my first visit I mentioned the fueling issue as well as the rattling mirrors. Any advice of what I should say again now that people are actually getting "fixes" for these things so my dealer doesn't blow me off about filling and the gas gauge only going to about 3/4 each time? Thank you all in advance and glad to see there are things being done about this finally.

Why not bring a copy of the CSP in with you. I might even carry the T-SB too but not mention it unless they claim your car is not entitled to the fix in which case ask them to go over the exact results of each step of the T-SB they are supposed to use to arrive at a go/no-go decision.

·
Registered
2020 Limited Hybrid
120 Posts
I took in the TSB for the mirrors and the TSB for the firmware update. They did my gas tank this week, mirrors and firmware. It is the dealer I will use for service but not where I bought it. The three they said it was a $2,000 warranty bill. Not sure what state your in, but make them document the gas tank on every visit, in PA where I am if you have the issue in the first year and they can't fix it for 3 times, it's then lemon law time if you want to go that route.

Interestingly enough, it seems my tank may have the opposite issue, I have driven about 100 miles and my gas gauge still hasn't moved off full, so the verdict for the fix for me is still yet to be determined a win.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I took in the TSB for the mirrors and the TSB for the firmware update. They did my gas tank this week, mirrors and firmware. It is the dealer I will use for service but not where I bought it. The three they said it was a $2,000 warranty bill. Not sure what state your in, but make them document the gas tank on every visit, in PA where I am if you have the issue in the first year and they can't fix it for 3 times, it's then lemon law time if you want to go that route.

Interestingly enough, it seems my tank may have the opposite issue, I have driven about 100 miles and my gas gauge still hasn't moved off full, so the verdict for the fix for me is still yet to be determined a win.
Wait for several fuel fills. Your tank may have been filled above full or the re-calibration portion of the fix may have not been done correctly. Time will tell.

·
Registered
2020 Rav4 Hybrid XSE
13 Posts

Thanks I actually just got a letter in the mail from Toyota today about the gas tank. Its a Customer Support Program notification. Definitely will be bringing it with me and mention it when I make my appointment.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts