Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 RAV4 Hybrid LE with less than 18,000 miles. My car happened to be one of the cars with a recall regarding the front lower suspension arm and faulty gas tank. Both have been replaced early last year. But does anyone with similar issues below?

The ongoing issue before and after recall:
  1. Traction control issue: Small divots (not potholes or speed bumps) when traveling around 15-25 mphs causes my car to suddenly lose traction control for about 2 seconds (the vehicle alert goes off), and the road speed limit is 30-35. Normal road/weather. I'm driving slow because the stop sign is coming up, but also because of this consistent issue at the same location.
  2. Issue with the gasket/trunk? I'm sitting in the driver seat with the car parked and engine off and I can hear creaking from the back as the wind pushes on the car.
Latest issue after repair:
  1. Could be because of the cold, but my front suspension system creaks as if I had an old car with old struts. This wasn't an issue before when I bought it in December 2019. I've also noticed that when I turn the wheel completely to either side of the vehicle and drive down/up onto at slow speed on a driveway curb it makes a scraping noise.
    1. Also, when slowing to a stop, at 0-1 mph my car makes a "creak" to a stop.
    2. Honestly, I would not be surprised if the mechanic did something wrong, as right after the recall fix I had to take it back to the dealership because they did not align the new arm correctly. The wheel disc scraped metal the entire time.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid XLE
52 Posts
The traction control issue is normal. If I hit bumps while braking at low-ish speeds the traction control light goes off and I hear a buzzer. It's not actually losing traction control, it's traction control activating because it thinks there's an issue. Probably it detects a difference in wheel speeds because of the bump and braking and freaks out. It's just sensitive, it's not a problem.

The post-repair issues sound like actual issues. The suspension creak and the scraping don't sound right. The creak or squeak coming to a stop has a TSB out for it. Mine does it too but I never bothered to take it in.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I really don't think that traction control issue is normal. I ventured down a road last summer where is gradually went from bad to worse to even more worse. It was an asphalt road but there were more potholes than road. For the worst part, I couldn't go any faster than 15 mph, dodging the real big holes along the way. You're probably saying, but did you use the brakes? Well, there was an area that the road was so bad that I had to stop to let a car coming the other direction pass. In another area, there appeared to have been a forest fire which took its toll on the road too. Not once did the traction control system notify me about any issues. I was more concerned about popping a tire.

Now, I do need to remind that the Limited has a different AWD system. Is the traction control system controlled differently, I don't know. All I know is that potholes do not cause issues on my 2019 Limited. I live in the SF Bay Area and there are a lot of potholes. It's like driving an obstacle course. In fact, there is one spot that has an unavoidable pothole right as your braking for a stop light. I never remember that it's there and usually hit it while braking for the light. Nothing unusual happens.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid XLE
52 Posts
The way the traction control thing happens for me is that you have to :
  1. Brake moderately or even heavily, decelerating through 15-35mph
  2. Hit a significant bump on the left or the right during braking.
The traction control light then comes on and you can hear a ticking sound which is a warning for TC. I don't think it's an issue I just think it's an aggressive TC.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts