Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought new 2020 Rav4 hybrid limited beginning of December and travel mostly highway 68-70 mph. 90 miles per day. My mpg's have only been 30 - 32. I fill up at same gas pump and calculate milage myself. I tried even keeping it in EV mode around town as much as possible babying throttle. Toyota said take it into service center. Dealer said could not find anything. Maybe an update coming. Anybody else having this problem. Will be bringing back at 5k service. I have tried different gas station still same.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Because this is not really "40 mpg" car for everyone. You have to have ideal conditions and be very easy on the gas to reach this. If they rated this as 35 mpg in the city it would have been more appropriate

·
Registered
1 Posts
Get 34.1 mpg. Regular driving. If I want to get mpg up, need to coast to stop. Use the brake as little as possible. Still, w/o any change in my driving getting @34. Not pleased to find out after the fact that I had to change my driving manner to get the advertised 40mpg.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Get 34.1 mpg. Regular driving. If I want to get mpg up, need to coast to stop. Use the brake as little as possible. Still, w/o any change in my driving getting @34. Not pleased to find out after the fact that I had to change my driving manner to get the advertised 40mpg.
You can use the brakes to stop. That will increase the regenerative braking.

·
Registered
208 Posts
You can use the brakes to stop. That will increase the regenerative braking.
RavDoug I thought you were a pro. 🙁

I have no need to beat a dead horse. We all know once you have momentum it is best to keep it. Using the brakes as little as possible is one of the top five methods of great mpg. Regen is better than friction brakes but not slowing or stopping is best.

80-90% of your fuel is spent accelerating. It takes very little fuel to maintain. 6 horsepower keeps the car rolling at 40 mph. 10 horsepower at 50 mph. 16 horsepower at 60.

Zero to 60 mph in 12 seconds? 200 horsepower.

·
Registered
472 Posts
RavDoug I thought you were a pro. 🙁

I have no need to beat a dead horse. We all know once you have momentum it is best to keep it. Using the brakes as little as possible is one of the top five methods of great mpg. Regen is better than friction brakes but not slowing or stopping is best.

80-90% of your fuel is spent accelerating. It takes very little fuel to maintain. 6 horsepower keeps the car rolling at 40 mph. 10 horsepower at 50 mph. 16 horsepower at 60.

Zero to 60 mph in 12 seconds? 200 horsepower.
You're not wrong, but that's also not the point.

Of course you want to maintain your momentum as much as possible, there's not in question. But no matter what, at some point you have to stop the car.

The comment I replied to said that they have to coast to a stop, using the natural resistances (air, rolling resistance, engine braking, gravity, etc.) to stop the car. But if you have regenerative braking, it's better to recovery some of the energy for when you accelerate again.

It's best to slow down as little as necessary. But when you do slow down, use those brakes to recover the energy.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I took it a different way.
Regeneration is a nice to have feature, but should not be a "goal".

Also we should use the word "brakes" to only refer to "friction brakes" as in normal brake pads.

We should use "regen" to refer to motor/generators using electromagnetic force to slow the vehicle and generate power in the process.

In fact, my Bolt EV has "one pedal driving". The regen is so powerful it stops my car in 95% of all situations. It will actually bring the car to a dead stop with electromagnetic force only. My brake rotors may rust over!

In one pedal driving (selectable) the "go" pedal travel is mapped differently.
Bottom of pedal travel is for variable regen braking, and top of pedal travel is for acceleration. Holding the pedal in the middle gets you constant speed or neutral coasting. You literally don't have to touch the friction brakes except for panic stop.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Some things to keep in mind about reduced winter gas milage. We are using winter blend gas this time of year. It has less BTUs per gallon. Also the air is more dense. The colder it gets the more dense the air gets and it takes more power to move the car through it at highway speed. Driving through snow also uses more gas.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am in New Brunswick Canada and I am getting 6.9 litres per 100 klm. I have 3500 klm on vehicle. Which I feel is good for winter, my 2016 rav hybrid only did around 8.2 during winters. This new rav is amazing.

·
Registered
208 Posts
This is from a totally different car, a 2020 Bolt EV but the same laws of physics apply.

Just substitute "Range Impacts Since Last Full Fuel Tank".

It shows my driving technique has given me 19.8 extra miles of range over the EPA average.

My terrain is mostly flat but I go over Bay Area Bridges. Terrain has taken away extra energy equivalent to 2 miles of range.

Climate control: heat and air conditioning can only subtract from your milage, so the positive area is greyed out. In SF I use heat to dry off the windows the first 5 minutes. That's it. That alone has taken away 1.6 miles.

Last is outdoor temperature. You have no control over this, but nice to know Chevy is using this to compensate for your range estimate. Note: I have always been in the 50 to 70 degree range lately. This "mild" coolness has still taken away 0.7 miles.

All numbers are for the past 1 week.
The combination shows I am running 15.5 miles ahead of the EPA rating.

While the Rav4 does not have this screen, the same rules apply so I thought I would share.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Weather is a big factor, gas blend, and so is (I think) hybrid experience. I bought mine today, and drove it about 350 miles home. I have now driven 5 hybrids in the last 12 years (for various reasons).

Very first tank (so unknown how much dealer put in, or how much idling was done, upper 30s-mid 40s F)...1/3 interstate driving (I drive speed limit +5), and 2/3 US 4-lane highway with rolling hills, using cruise control as much as possible, not trying for mpgs, kind of mindless driving ... Got 38.8mpg. Slightly disappointing (for me), but they say you should ignore your first tank.

So far, since the fill up, 79 miles, rolling hills, 2-lane country roads, mostly 60mph (+5 speed limit), temp in the mid 50s F, no cruise control, trying to get mpgs ... Getting 44.9mpg. We will see what I can do from here in the city. I also hope to do better when the engine is not new.

The point of this is to show that if you want to get the rated mpgs (or better) you have to have good weather, moderate speeds, and you have to use some maximizing techniques. As far as I can see (at least so far), the car CAN get the rated mpgs, and better.

One trip (1.25 tanks) does NOT make a trend, but I have hope, so far.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bought new 2020 Rav4 hybrid limited beginning of December and travel mostly highway 68-70 mph. 90 miles per day. My mpg's have only been 30 - 32. I fill up at same gas pump and calculate milage myself. I tried even keeping it in EV mode around town as much as possible babying throttle. Toyota said take it into service center. Dealer said could not find anything. Maybe an update coming. Anybody else having this problem. Will be bringing back at 5k service. I have tried different gas station still same.
Hope my engine is not on replacement recall. I practced hyper miling still not any better 30-32 mpg
. Talked with others that own non hybrid and they get 36-39 mpg. I'm starting to think i should not have bought hybrid. Seems like it always lags going up very little or slight inclines on highway driving 65 -68 mph. Seems to goes from echo up to power always. I think engine is under powered for weight of vehicle or transmission problem. I started thinking the mud flaps add some wind resistance. I do not have cross bars.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts