Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bought new 2020 Rav4 hybrid limited beginning of December and travel mostly highway 68-70 mph. 90 miles per day. My mpg's have only been 30 - 32. I fill up at same gas pump and calculate milage myself. I tried even keeping it in EV mode around town as much as possible babying throttle. Toyota said take it into service center. Dealer said could not find anything. Maybe an update coming. Anybody else having this problem. Will be bringing back at 5k service. I have tried different gas station still same.
I think you are accelerating too hard from a stop or coming up to a stop too fast.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is it a hybrid. Are you driving mostly highway? Also don't use cruise control if you want to get better milage. Need to let vehicle speed up on down hill and bog down on uphill. I try to go 65 - 75 mph. Depending on hills. You will also want to coast up to stop lights and down offramps so it charges battery. It takes discipline to drive in EV mode. A lot of times speed up to 40 then off gas until EV mode kicks in and hard to keep tach below middle to stay in EV. Need to adjust gas pedal foot to barely touch pedal. Good luck or just drive it and be happy your getting 34 mpg. Way better than 22-25 most SUVs get.
You are 100% right, you got to learn to drive a hybrid to get the best fuel mileage, you’re doing it just like I do and I have average around 37-38 overall and I have 8000 miles on it now. Some people like to push their accelerator to the floor when leaving a stop, and go fast all way up to stop and slam brakes on, if you drive this way, no car will get very good mileage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think you are accelerating too hard from a stop or coming up to a stop too fast.
My 2020 RAV4 XSE Hybrid hasn't been getting the estimated mileage in either the city or highway environments. No help from the dealer as I was told engine wasn't "broken in" with less than 5000 miles, rain reduces mpg, weight reduces mpg, temp reduces mpg...... Found a friend who has friend who's a Toyota tech. He recommended raising the tire pressure to 37 psi - only a 4 psi increase. Hwy mileage instantly jumped from 35mpg to 39+mpg. Still seeing decreased mpg when driving in the city - totally reverse of what should be happening. I personally don't think my forward electric motor is set to the correct operating parameters as even crawling along in traffic at 25-35 mph, with a full battery, the gas engine is running and the electric motor is cutting off. Back to the dealer for yet another conversation.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
My 2020 RAV4 XSE Hybrid hasn't been getting the estimated mileage in either the city or highway environments. No help from the dealer as I was told engine wasn't "broken in" with less than 5000 miles, rain reduces mpg, weight reduces mpg, temp reduces mpg...... Found a friend who has friend who's a Toyota tech. He recommended raising the tire pressure to 37 psi - only a 4 psi increase. Hwy mileage instantly jumped from 35mpg to 39+mpg. Still seeing decreased mpg when driving in the city - totally reverse of what should be happening. I personally don't think my forward electric motor is set to the correct operating parameters as even crawling along in traffic at 25-35 mph, with a full battery, the gas engine is running and the electric motor is cutting off. Back to the dealer for yet another conversation.
I have a 2020 rav4 hybrid limited and highway m8lage is 32-33mpg. Around town 37-40 but you have to get going 35 40 mph then take your foot off gas pedal untill EV mode comes on and back on pedal slightly for ev mode to stay on. Also at times you will have to slightly pull off pedal for EV to stay on. I also think hybrid computer updates to how you drive. You will get better milage if you drive like a 85 year old blue hair.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bought new 2020 Rav4 hybrid limited beginning of December and travel mostly highway 68-70 mph. 90 miles per day. My mpg's have only been 30 - 32. I fill up at same gas pump and calculate milage myself. I tried even keeping it in EV mode around town as much as possible babying throttle. Toyota said take it into service center. Dealer said could not find anything. Maybe an update coming. Anybody else having this problem. Will be bringing back at 5k service. I have tried different gas station still same.
I had the exact same problem initially with my new 2020 XSE Rav4. I had to reset the average mileage gauge from the dealer via the steering column left-hand procedure it is there you can turn on or off other safety road system like reading speed limit signs. Initially I was getting horrible results ~35 miles per gallon. After resetting the average mileage I was getting what I expected. Try driving in ECO mode turn round switch next to the shifter to left the millage gauge will have a green outside layer. Or push down on the same switch to go to normal mode. then turn to left for ECO. Gentile starts and acceleration, coasting when a light turn red helps a lot. The key is no rabbit starts or stops. I have changed my driving slightly and get now a combined 41.7 miles per gallon highway and in town. The car can do amazing fast starts if needed (getting on a highway) 0-60 in 7 seconds. 5 seconds better than the gas version. If you have a heavy foot you get what you should expect.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I average 48-61 MPG on short trips around town (4-7 miles) depending on my AC usage. Straight highway on my commute home, using cruise and AC going slightly uphill doing 75-90 MPH, I get around 38-40 MPG. If I take the rolling hills home with stoplights and don’t use cruise, I get around 45-48 MPG. I also have over a decade of hybrid driving experience and our fuel quality is very good around here (it’s harder to find a non-Top Tier station than a Top Tier station) and I believe that both of these factors matter.

As others have indicated, the biggest trick with hybrids is anticipating stops in advance and avoid touching the brakes whenever possible. If you know you are going to have to brake, brake early and lightly enough so you only use the regenerative braking. If your hydraulic brakes are even remotely warm after driving for a few miles, you are braking too hard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you have use the brakes to regenerate the batteries, or does coasting regenerate the battery the same whether brakes are used or not?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Do you have use the brakes to regenerate the batteries, or does coasting regenerate the battery the same whether brakes are used or not?
Look at the hybrid display on the dash or infotainment display. When coasting in EV mode it's actually doing a tiny bit of regenerative braking (likely to simulate the effects of engine braking, I'm guessing).

·
Registered
164 Posts
We went for a ride along the river today to celebrate the first day restaurants were able to open. By the time we got home my MPG was 38.5 which is best since I took delivery on January 3. I have 1900 miles.

·
Registered
2919 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package built June 20
928 Posts
You have a Limited so I presume you have a screen setting that will give you a score on acceleration, braking and cruising. (Amazing the manuals don't tell you what the three are so I may be wrong on what they are called but there are three.). Look for that screen in the 5 function control on the left of the steering wheel. They may give you a clue in what area the problem is. It keeps telling me the problem is my right foot pressure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2020 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, very happy with 41-43 mpg around town without even trying in the nw burbs of Chicago.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts