Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I’m looking for some advice. I park my RAV4 outside in our driveway (soon to start parking in our garage) and a squirrel/chipmunk has managed to chew through the windshield washer fluid line running from the fluid tank up to the hood dispensers. Is this an easy at home repair or should I take it in to a dealership? It looks like the line runs down through the wheel well to the bottom of the tank, can’t be sure until I start taking off some of the plastic panels, etc.

Any tutorials or advice would be great! Also, if anyone has a remedy/deterrent for rodents getting up in the engine compartment at night let me know…they have already cost me more money than I care to share!

Thanks all!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi all, I’m looking for some advice. I park my RAV4 outside in our driveway (soon to start parking in our garage) and a squirrel/chipmunk has managed to chew through the windshield washer fluid line running from the fluid tank up to the hood dispensers. Is this an easy at home repair or should I take it in to a dealership? It looks like the line runs down through the wheel well to the bottom of the tank, can’t be sure until I start taking off some of the plastic panels, etc.

Any tutorials or advice would be great! Also, if anyone has a remedy/deterrent for rodents getting up in the engine compartment at night let me know…they have already cost me more money than I care to share!

Thanks all!
Tire Hand Automotive tire Hood Gesture

·
Registered
2021 Rav 4 XLE gas engine
1,573 Posts
Also, if anyone has a remedy/deterrent for rodents getting up in the engine compartment at night let me know…they have already cost me more money than I care to share!
I live in a rural area with an open carport and I am daily chasing ground squirrels, large silver grays, and chipmunks out. Also many field mice and field rats enter from the pastures. Amazingly, for 30 years I had no auto damage, but all my earlier cars had the petro chemical insulation on the wires--not the soy based stuff used today and in our RAV4s that rodents love to chew. On my Jeep Liberty they ignored the wiring but went after the padded hood liner and the sound insulation on the firewall and chewed it all to H*ll. Then I declared a rodent jihad. I now keep mouse and large rat traps (big enough for squirrels) all around the vicinity of the RAV. Also I put out plenty of the kind of poisons you can buy at Walmart and hardware stores. I spray the RAV wiring and the engine bay with an organic animal repellent--I thinks its sour apple (I have heard that peppermint spray works well also.) I think the best repellent was a large handful of old fashioned naphta mothballs in an old womens panty hose leg laid on the RAV airbox under the hood. You put it in and leave it there when car is parked but you MUST remove it each time you start the car because they are flammable. All rodents hate the smell and won't enter the engine bay. Some people sprinkle the mothballs on the ground under and around their cars, but this didn't work well for me and made a mess. Be sure to get the old fashioned naphta sort--there is a new kind of mothball with a different chemical that does not work as a repellent. Best solution is a large, mean, feral barn cat if the coyotes don't get him.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I live in a rural area with an open carport and I am daily chasing ground squirrels, large silver grays, and chipmunks out. Also many field mice and field rats enter from the pastures. Amazingly, for 30 years I had no auto damage, but all my earlier cars had the petro chemical insulation on the wires--not the soy based stuff used today and in our RAV4s that rodents love to chew. On my Jeep Liberty they ignored the wiring but went after the padded hood liner and the sound insulation on the firewall and chewed it all to H*ll. Then I declared a rodent jihad. I now keep mouse and large rat traps (big enough for squirrels) all around the vicinity of the RAV. Also I put out plenty of the kind of poisons you can buy at Walmart and hardware stores. I spray the RAV wiring and the engine bay with an organic animal repellent--I thinks its sour apple (I have heard that peppermint spray works well also.) I think the best repellent was a large handful of old fashioned naphta mothballs in an old womens panty hose leg laid on the RAV airbox under the hood. You put it in and leave it there when car is parked but you MUST remove it each time you start the car because they are flammable. All rodents hate the smell and won't enter the engine bay. Some people sprinkle the mothballs on the ground under and around their cars, but this didn't work well for me and made a mess. Be sure to get the old fashioned naphta sort--there is a new kind of mothball with a different chemical that does not work as a repellent. Best solution is a large, mean, feral barn cat if the coyotes don't get him.
Porcupines are the biggest problem in the mountains where I have a cabin. Many of overnight backpackers have returned to their cars only to find the hoses and wires chewed through. The major trail heads have signs warning about the risks of parking overnight. I have seen some cars parked at the trailheads with mothballs spread around the perimeter of the vehicle. I just use a .22 around my cabin. This seems to work best.

·
Registered
2021 Rav 4 XLE gas engine
1,573 Posts
I once saw one at dusk during deer season and that porcupine was almost 4 feet tall and just as long as it waddled down the logging road. Thought it was a black bear cub at first. I hope you use CCI Stingers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.