Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2020 RAV4 Hybrid XLE with 2,800 miles on it. Purchased April 2020. Yesterday I went to get in my RAV and the key did not work, it gave me an error, I believe it said "key malfunction". Then as I tried to follow the owners manual thinking my key had lost its connectivity to my vehicle the RAV went dead. This whole process lasted 20-30 minutes with no success. I called Toyota Roadside Assistance to come out thinking it was a electrical problem (No way the battery could be dead after 2 months...right?). They showed up after a few hours and tried to jump it, it did not work. The driver left the battery jumper on the RAV4 for about 15-20 minutes while he figured out how to get the vehicle out of my garage to tow to the dealership. He went to try to start the RAV one more time and it started up just fine. I immediately drove it straight to the dealership. After spending several hours at the dealership they came back and told me the battery tested perfectly fine, they also ran a full diagnostic on the RAV and all systems checked out fine, there were no codes in the computer system. I am not sure why the RAV wouldn't start since everything checked out okay.

Has anyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2020 RAV4 Hybrid XLE with 2,800 miles on it. Purchased April 2020. Yesterday I went to get in my RAV and the key did not work, it gave me an error, I believe it said "key malfunction". Then as I tried to follow the owners manual thinking my key had lost its connectivity to my vehicle the RAV went dead. This whole process lasted 20-30 minutes with no success. I called Toyota Roadside Assistance to come out thinking it was a electrical problem (No way the battery could be dead after 2 months...right?). They showed up after a few hours and tried to jump it, it did not work. The driver left the battery jumper on the RAV4 for about 15-20 minutes while he figured out how to get the vehicle out of my garage to tow to the dealership. He went to try to start the RAV one more time and it started up just fine. I immediately drove it straight to the dealership. After spending several hours at the dealership they came back and told me the battery tested perfectly fine, they also ran a full diagnostic on the RAV and all systems checked out fine, there were no codes in the computer system. I am not sure why the RAV wouldn't start since everything checked out okay.

Has anyone else had this issue?
Yes, happened to me last Thursday, had it towed to Toyota, they had to go through a series of steps with Toyota Mgmt to get it fixed, they just called and said they did a DCM firmware update, which is updating the computer software. It wasn't my battery it tests fine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts