Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi -- new member here, seeking advice on towing with a 2020 RAV4 Hybrid XSE. I'm planning a long road trip from central Texas to the West Coast through the mountains and back through the desert towing a friend's custom built overlanding trailer (photo attached below) that clocks in around 1,500 lbs loaded but no trailer brakes (I don't think lighter trailers usually do?).

I know the towing capacity is listed at 1,750 lbs, so I'm not worried about weight limits especially on flat highways through the desert and plains. However, there will be some mountain grades along the route through southern Colorado and Utah, and I'm wondering if there are any other RAV4 Hybrid owners that have towed something similar through mountain roads with their Hybrid model. I'm worried about downhill and all the weight relying solely on the RAV4's breaking power / transmission.

Any advice or validation would be super appreciated.

View attachment 154506
-------------------------------------------------------
We were originally looking at a Camry hybrid but then found most hybrids are not rated/warranteed for towing either at all or the amount they can tow is trivial....enough for a small box trailer with nothing in it.

We solved this by going for a RAV4 hybrid NOTING THE FOLLOWING.......when we looked at the specifications (Australia) you need to have the AWD versions of whatever model you get. This of course has benefits in terms of where you can go. The ratings here are 750 kg total unbraked and 1500 kg total braked more or less.

I flag this here because none of the discussions say whether the RAV4 is 2WD or 4WD. The 2WD hybrid doesnt look like it can usefully tow much. And even the conventional engine 2WD is not rated for towing that much (800 kg total).

·
Registered
XLE Hybrid 2021
113 Posts
I flag this here because none of the discussions say whether the RAV4 is 2WD or 4WD. The 2WD hybrid doesnt look like it can usefully tow much.
This is mostly due because all North America hybrid models are AWD. So only one towing capacity (1750 lbs/794 kgs).

·
Registered
113 Posts
Basically the US only gets the tow rating for the FWD version for the AWD version.
The regulations for towing capacity are stricter if I recall correctly. Especially the minimum tongue weight and acceleration with a trailer are things that are not taken into account in other territories.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts