Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

2020 RAV4 Limited Popping Sound at high speed

374 Views 6 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  SimiDavid
We have a '20 RAV4 Limited with roof rack exhibiting exterior popping sounds at high speed (on the freeway only). Toyota Dealer documented our complaint as "Customer states hears abnormal rattle type noise from from rear of vehicle when driving over uneven terrain and when driving at freeway speeds hears whistling type noise.

In May 2022, at 19k miles, we took the car to the dealer to inform of the issue. The dealer confirmed and even found water leaking into the cabin. The dealer replaced both roof rack rails, roof rack mounting, rail seals that had failed due to poor contact/thickness, and an internal headliner. I retested and was unable to replicate the issue.

Then in November, now at 24k, I noted the issue again occurring and took it to the Dealer. The dealer investigated and claimed the issue was the license plate bracket had free play causing a rattle/flapping noise. Reinstalled license plate onto bracket and bracket back onto body properly. We then got the car back.

Two weeks later, while on a long road trip heard a sound excessively. As we cruised along at freeway speed, and especially as we went up hills, we would hear this popping sound coming from the rear of the vehicle. Sounds like wind hitting a blowhole and then POP.

We are scheduled to take the car back a 3rd time to the dealer. We are scheduled for the test drive this Saturday with a mechanic.

Question: Does anyone on this board experience a similar issue and can advise?

Thanks,
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
120 Posts
Throwing it out there - Camry's have a "rattling" issue in the trunk area and someone found the rubber ventilation flaps making the noise (you may have seen them on damaged cars where the rear bumper was ripped off the quarter panel).

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

· Registered
120 Posts
I have a 7th gen Camry - no TSB or recall. Just someone on Toyotanation.com that became diligent enough to find an issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts