Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've taken my new RAV over 100 miles of gravel, dirt and rocky roads on two separate trips. I've climbed over 15,000 feet on two different mountain ranges with the car having less than 500 miles. As an owner of a FJ, a Tacoma TRD Pro and a past owner of a 2019 4Runner all driven over the same courses I have to say by the time I pulled into the driveway with the RAV I was really impressed. I did not scrap any skid plates but there were a couple of places I expected to. Where one gravel was very flat and WIDE it felt like a Rally Car as I took turns fast enough to have the back end come around me just like driving in the snow. Other trip had roads were speeds were reduced to 2-5mph to bounce over the road that had nothing but tall rocks.

Of course with the turning radius being much different than a truck, I found making the hairpin turns on the switchbacks to be easy and smooth. Climbing elevation from a starting point of 4,650' to 9,700' I NEVER had to move the shifter to the left 'S' and then 1,2,3 or 4 to get up the climb. I did use those gears going down the other side to maintain control of the car as the signs recommended. At no time did I hear or see signs of overheating while making the climbs on gravel rocky roads. What little I know about tires I felt the stock Falken Wildpeak 225/60/R18 tires were very responsive for any tasked it faced.

When I am not driving off road for enjoyment I am always driving in their "sport mode" and getting over 27mph from the time it left the lot 525 miles ago. I've only owned this car since October 25th but I am enjoying the crap out of it. Very happy with my purchase.

IMG_3478.jpeg IMG_3483.jpeg IMG_3474.jpeg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you will find it's a great car and one that can talk most places. It's not rock climber but it will get you off the grid if that is what you wanting to do. I was looking at the front of it yesterday in comparison to my 2007 FJ. I was surprised that it was almost as big and close to being just as high. They have beefed up the front end on this model. Post some photos sometime of what yours can do. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've taken my new RAV over 100 miles of gravel, dirt and rocky roads on two separate trips. I've climbed over 15,000 feet on two different mountain ranges with the car having less than 500 miles. As an owner of a FJ, a Tacoma TRD Pro and a past owner of a 2019 4Runner all driven over the same courses I have to say by the time I pulled into the driveway with the RAV I was really impressed. I did not scrap any skid plates but there were a couple of places I expected to. Where one gravel was very flat and WIDE it felt like a Rally Car as I took turns fast enough to have the back end come around me just like driving in the snow. Other trip had roads were speeds were reduced to 2-5mph to bounce over the road that had nothing but tall rocks.

Of course with the turning radius being much different than a truck, I found making the hairpin turns on the switchbacks to be easy and smooth. Climbing elevation from a starting point of 4,650' to 9,700' I NEVER had to move the shifter to the left 'S' and then 1,2,3 or 4 to get up the climb. I did use those gears going down the other side to maintain control of the car as the signs recommended. At no time did I hear or see signs of overheating while making the climbs on gravel rocky roads. What little I know about tires I felt the stock Falken Wildpeak 225/60/R18 tires were very responsive for any tasked it faced.

When I am not driving off road for enjoyment I am always driving in their "sport mode" and getting over 27mph from the time it left the lot 525 miles ago. I've only owned this car since October 25th but I am enjoying the crap out of it. Very happy with my purchase.

View attachment 146774 View attachment 146775 View attachment 146776 View attachment 146774 View attachment 146775 View attachment 146776
Your last photo looks exactly like my driveway, which is why I just put on the Falken AT Trail Tires.

·
Registered
14 Posts
True, it's definitely not a rock climber but it's perfect for what I need. I went out on some forest service roads so see how good she does and it was great. got in to some snow, mud and rocky conditions and handled very well.

The tires performed really well, much better than the all season tires. BF Goodrich KO2's I'm sure would have done even better but Falken Wildpeaks did very welll.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts