Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the Toyota website I do not see an option for remote start. Is this something you have to do after market?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is the phone app., but how do you get remote starter installed on the car? Did not see it on Toyota's web/build site.

·
Premium Member
6,664 Posts
On the Toyota website I do not see an option for remote start. Is this something you have to do after market?
Factory remote start hardware is not an option on any trim, but as previously stated Remote Connect does come with Audio Plus and Premium head units. 2019 Remote Connect wireless fob remote start is free for 3yrs on the Audio Plus, and 10yrs on the Premium, not an option on base head unit, not sure what the time will be on the '20. You'd need an aftermarket remote start for any trim with the base head unit.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
I thought that they updated it to lifetime use of the fob remote start but have it where you need to pay for the remote connect features?

·
Premium Member
6,664 Posts
I thought that they updated it to lifetime use of the fob remote start but have it where you need to pay for the remote connect features?
2020 Remote Connect has a 1 yr trial instead of 6 months, but I've not read anything that addresses the fob wireless remote start on the '20. The '20 ebrochure isn't available yet, but the '20 4Runner is, doesn't mention anything about the fob remote start, just Remote Connect.

·
Registered
396 Posts
My 6 months of "free" connect services expires in 15 days.
I will test the remote start from the key fob and report back...

If it works from the key fob, i will not renew it..

If it doesn't work, i may go MTM for $8.00 a month

·
Registered
77 Posts
I paid for the after factory remote when I ordered in Apr. When I picked up the car in Oct I was told it was on backorder...then got an email from the salesman telling me it was installed, 3x push on lock starts it. I don't use the entune system (have no data on my phone).

·
Registered
125 Posts
I find the remote connect app very flakey. It comes up with errors all the time where it's can't reach the vehicle.
It can usually get the mileage but rarely lock doors (if every) and not start the car.
I don't really get the value anyway...

·
Premium Member
6,664 Posts
I don't use the Remote Connect app any more, deleted it, I only use Toyota app for remote access, since the app update this week it's been working 100% including tire pressure. The apps depend on cellular signal to the vehicle, if the signal is poor, it's not going to connect reliably.

The OP is in the US, so what's happening in Canada doesn't necessarily apply.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Factory remote start hardware is not an option on any trim, but as previously stated Remote Connect does come with Audio Plus and Premium head units. 2019 Remote Connect wireless fob remote start is free for 3yrs on the Audio Plus, and 10yrs on the Premium, not an option on base head unit, not sure what the time will be on the '20. You'd need an aftermarket remote start for any trim with the base head unit.
We have two 19 hybrid limited's, both start with the factory key remotely.
Neither has entune engauged or loaded or as an app.

·
Premium Member
6,664 Posts
We have two 19 hybrid limited's, both start with the factory key remotely.
Neither has entune engauged or loaded or as an app.
So does mine, but it's part of the head unit as stated, it's not a hardware based remote start option in the traditional sense which is the question asked by the OP.

Please complete your profile to include location.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 6 months of "free" connect services expires in 15 days.
I will test the remote start from the key fob and report back...

If it works from the key fob, i will not renew it..

If it doesn't work, i may go MTM for $8.00 a month
keyfob remote start works without remote connect services - verified it yesterday (my subscription expired week ago and I didn't renew and not going to feed Toyota)

·
Premium Member
6,664 Posts
keyfob remote start works without remote connect services - verified it yesterday (my subscription expired week ago and I didn't renew and not going to feed Toyota)
Fob wireless remote start will expire after 3yrs on Audio Plus, 10yrs on Premium audio, see post #4.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the hybrid xle and am able to start my car via the remote by hitting lock 3x and holding it down. The dealer didn't even realize I had it.

·
Premium Member
6,664 Posts
I have the hybrid xle and am able to start my car via the remote by hitting lock 3x and holding it down. The dealer didn't even realize I had it.
This has been known for several months, as related to the OP's question it's only a feature of Audio Plus and Premium head units, see post #2 and #4.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts