Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure what this is, but when the vehicle shifts into 2nd gear the engine sounds as if it's on CVT as the rpm's continue up and it gets ready to hit 3rd gear. This CVT sound (how a CVT actually sounds in the Hybrid as to accelerate, etc) is at about the 1/4 to 1/3 mark of making it through 2nd gear (medium acceleration), so basically just after getting 2nd gear. Hard to know for sure if it's the trans or engine doing a bit of "lag", and it does feel like a bit of power loss. Maybe 1-2sec of this "CVT" sounding area.

Anyone else notice this on the auto trans?

·
Registered
119 Posts
It has an 8 speed transmission just have checked by any transmission shop for free or Toyota dealer.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has an 8 speed transmission just have checked by any transmission shop for free or Toyota dealer.
Pretty sure the dirty tech is just gonna take it for spins and come back and say "we don't notice what you are saying". Having the gray/ash interior looks nice, you just don't want mechanics and techs getting in ;)

I may need to capture it via my Techstream.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Pretty sure the dirty tech is just gonna take it for spins and come back and say "we don't notice what you are saying". Having the gray/ash interior looks nice, you just don't want mechanics and techs getting in ;)

I may need to capture it via my Techstream.
The person who prepped my car for delivery farted inside and didn't roll down the windows. The salesman and I were both floored by the offending stench.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
The person who prepped my car for delivery farted inside and didn't roll down the windows. The salesman and I were both floored by the offending stench.
First impression ruins the long term ownership. I would have burned down the car with torch if someone farted in it the first time I sat in it. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: outbackandy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Interesting enough I’ve noticed this too. When I heard it I thought of my old Subaru Legacy with a CVT. I don’t know if anything is wrong, but this my RAV4 likes to shift a lot. I’m not really a fan of the 8 speed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Well, I have a reg Limited FWD. So nope, not that.
What I describe is more like a flat spot in rpm's, which altough the vehicle is still accelerating it sounds just like a CV trans during that flat spot.

I need to watch the rpm needle in detail, and if it's rpm flat spot I will video it.
What you're probably feeling is the transmission going into and out of lockup. Also, you have a 2020 model which would already have the new transmission program to eliminate the jerky start-off us 2019er had to deal with for nearly a year. The solution was to start off in second gear if you didn't come to a complete, 5 count stop. It took a bit to get used to but over time, the transmission relearned and now it's a dream to drive. Yes, it's an 8 speed and it does shift a lot. This is how you can get the MPG out of a vehicle this large. Chances are, Toyota will say it's working as intended but it would be a good idea (just in case it's not) to have them check it you under warranty.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I failed to note that the mode was "normal", which I guess switches between eco and reg shift patterns? In norm mode I did also notice what appears to be a delay in downshifting when it's needed and I am adding more pedal.

I switched to "sport" mode and it drives better now. My only peeve is that the trans mode setting does not stick with the memory setting on the door! Memory setting (two drivers, etc) should be your initial settings (seat, trans mode, radio station and/or radio on or off, AC on/off and temp), etc etc.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I don't believe the transmission setting are saved with the door save buttons. I do know that only ECO and Normal modes will stay but Sport mode will reset back to Normal once you turn off the vehicle.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't believe the transmission setting are saved with the door save buttons. I do know that only ECO and Normal modes will stay but Sport mode will reset back to Normal once you turn off the vehicle.
Yeah..... ridiculous imho.
But not just seats and the two trans modes, all your settings as-is just before you take it out of park, should be saved to a memory button.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well, I have a reg Limited FWD. So nope, not that.
What I describe is more like a flat spot in rpm's, which altough the vehicle is still accelerating it sounds just like a CV trans during that flat spot.

I need to watch the rpm needle in detail, and if it's rpm flat spot I will video it.
I have a 2019 XLE FWD with the same characteristic as you are describing. I just learned to live with it and thought its normal. 2nd gear with that slight "hang" before shifting to third. Vehicle still accelerates but the rpm does hang in 2nd for a while feeling like a CVT. Also had the TSB done for the transmission jerk issue which was resolved after the update. i have 17k+ miles

1 - 14 of 14 Posts