Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
241 - 260 of 322 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
They need to perform a software update. I had the same issues. Tell them that your SOS light is red, not green. It seems the car is never-ending trying to communicate with satellites and that is draining the battery. This software will fix this.

Reactions: DC1

·
Registered
4 Posts
Having the same issue with the 2020 Rav 4 Premium. Went to dealership and they said Toyota was aware of the issue and I would have to wait for a recall. My response was so everytime I want to start my car im going to have to get a jump from roadside assistance? He replied I guess so I dont know?? Just the kind of terrible response you can expect from a dealer. I opened a case with corporate and will make a huge fuss until they find some sort of resolution for this issue. Waiting to hear back from a customer service manager and then will take next steps. Frustrating to say the least Toyota has had such a good track record for producing reliable cars and trucks. I should have known better to buy anything associated with the year 2020.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah, after complaining to corporate I recieved a call back from the dealer saying to bring it back in and that Toyota provided them with a possible solution. They are giving me a loner in the meantime. I will post when I get my car back from the dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is no recall. Just get the software update mentioned here. Just for added insurance tell them that your SOS light is RED.
Yeah, after complaining to corporate I recieved a call back from the dealer saying to bring it back in and that Toyota provided them with a possible solution. They are giving me a loner in the meantime. I will post when I get my car back from the dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone first time posting.
Just purchased a 2020 rav4 xle premium first of December, first problem, leaving to go to work 5:30 am. no start had a dead battery, I jumped started and about 30 seconds after crank up the engine started to make a rattling and knocking sound so I immediately shut the engine off, and called Toyota road service to haul to the dealer ( 37 miles away ) the rav4 has 1,273 miles on it when this happened.
The service department had the car for 2.5 hours and could not find any problem, the service tech said the rattling and knocking was the high pressure fuel pump and that was normal, the tech said they charged the battery and did not know why it went dead. My question is has anybody experienced a battery drain with there new rav4 ? Fingers crossed this don't happen again, Thanks for any information.
Had the same problem yesterday, after 4 days without driving. Mine is a 2020 Rav4 xle. Battery was at 5.5 v. and would not start without a charge.

·
Registered
2020 XLE fwd Lunar rock
6 Posts
my 2020 xle fwd RAV4 with 1400 miles. battery died and it wouldn’t start after 2 days of not driving it. Trickle charged the battery to normal. I turned off the auto parking brake which had been on after reading about it in this thread. Has worked so far.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just purchased a 2020 rav4 xle premium first of December, first problem, leaving to go to work 5:30 am. no start had a dead battery, I jumped started and about 30 seconds after crank up the engine started to make a rattling and knocking sound so I immediately shut the engine off, and called Toyota road service to haul to the dealer ( 37 miles away ) the rav4 has 1,273 miles on it when this happened.
The service department had the car for 2.5 hours and could not find any problem, the service tech said the rattling and knocking was the high pressure fuel pump and that was normal, the tech said they charged the battery and did not know why it went dead. My question is has anybody experienced a battery drain with there new rav4 ? Fingers crossed this don't happen again, Thanks for any information.
Yes, just got mine back from the dealer after the battery dying randomly twice, one week apart. Dealer can't find the problem. I called Toyota and they are no help. I'm sure it will happen again and the process will repeat itself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys! i have a 2020 toyota rav4 le i got the same issue to everyone else that my battery got dead by parking it overnight. today my car wont start i have this problem ever since july but it happen today which happen to me twice between that july-sept. does anyone know what really costing the draining the battery of rav4? because what read all the comment was turnoff the parking brake and update the DCM firmware? anyone have idea?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi guys! i have a 2020 toyota rav4 le i got the same issue to everyone else that my battery got dead by parking it overnight. today my car wont start i have this problem ever since july but it happen today which happen to me twice between that july-sept. does anyone know what really costing the draining the battery of rav4? because what read all the comment was turnoff the parking brake and update the DCM firmware? anyone have idea?
See this thread: Rav4 2020 LE Battery drained out for no reason

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good to find out I'm not the only one with this issue. 2020 RAV4 Premium, 6 mo old, 10,000 miles. Left parked for 36 hours, DEAD battery. I haven't tried any fixes mentioned yet, but will be sure and mention it to the dealer in 2 days when we go in for an oil change.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used this post to research the issue, which has now happened twice. We have a 2020 RAV 4 XLE. First problem was parasitic draw which was corrected by the dealer. The second occurrence, about 3 weeks later had them stumped. Involved Toyota District Manager in our area, and he opened up a ticket with the dealer. The Toyota manager and the dealer thinks that the ACCESSORY stays engaged. Toyota says there is no current fix, but were aware and working on the issue. Their workaround recommendation is to "TOYOTA WOULD LIKE CUSTOMER TO LOCK VEHICLE USING THE TOUCH METHOD ON THE EXTERIOR DOOR HANDLES. IF A SINGLE BEEP IS HEARD, THEN ACCESSORY IS OFF. IF EXTENDED BEEP IS HEARD THEN ACCESSORY IS ON." I'd like to pass this on to all on this thread to see if it helps. Feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
🇨🇦 2020 RAV4 XLE Hybrid - Super White
1,328 Posts
For those looking to monitor your battery on a budget, hope this helps fellow hybrid/gas owners.

I recently purchased an Ancel BST200 to check my battery's health after all the dead batteries being posted. Cross checking the Ancel's voltage test with the car's service diagnostic menu out of curiosity, I can report that it shows the same values in both accessory mode and READY ON (for hybrids). I returned the battery tester and put the $ towards a Li-on jump pack in the trunk instead for the "just in case".

To access the service menu (works on both non-JBL, and JBL units):
  1. Start your car in accessory mode (press start 2x), or fully (brake + start). Starting in accessory mode will tell you what charge/health your battery is at while doing nothing (ideal), starting fully will display the charging voltage.
  2. On the infotainment press "Menu" > "display" icon near the bottom right > screen off
  3. Once the screen is off, press the "Seek" button 5 times then press the "Track" button 5 times. A service menu should show up, continue as shown (borrowed images from youtube):

Here's a handy chart for those wondering how to read the voltages.

·
Registered
6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi:
Same model purhased on 31 August 2020. Car only had 185 miles on it. Had been used every day. Same response from Sewrvice Manager. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen again. Not a great response from the Loyalty Manager either. Like I left something on. This is my third and probably my last Toyota.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Add me to the list of new owners that purchased a jump pack. 2020 XLE RAV4 with XLE Weather Package / XLE Convenience Package. Had it 3 weeks, around 2100 miles. Bought new, I drive a lot. Last weekend, had to hook the charger up because RAV4 wouldn’t start. Wouldn’t do anything, charged and fine so far..... first Toyota, just want it to be as dependable as the one I traded in!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's been some time I came out here to see what's new with the dead battery issues. It's horrifying to hear that Toyota (both dealers & corporate) play dumb and have no answers to batteries going dead on spanking new vehicles, some of them just days old.

Toyota: Since you're obviously ignoring these battery problems, how about including one of those battery jump pacs with all your new vehicles as standard equipment? Maybe a coupon book for ten free Uber rides for when you're stranded with a dead vehicle?

I have to consider myself one of the lucky ones that came out here to research the Rav4 prior to purchasing a new car. I was hoping I would find some positive info on the dead battery issues, but nothing apparently has changed or improved. There won't be any Toyota parked in my garage (with the windows closed tight, the doors locked and the key fob a hundred feet away from the car with the automatic electric parking brake disengaged). Just think, it's 2020 and Toyota needs a page or two in the user manual with a checklist of DO's & DON'T's to simply park the car. Did I overlook anything?

Sorry for the rant, I just feel bad for so many folks struggling with this pain in the ass issue.

241 - 260 of 322 Posts