Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
261 - 280 of 315 Posts

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
1,864 Posts
TS-B-0095-20 applies. 2020 and 2021s only. Lots of Toyota models. Read it in the sub forum on Rav4 hybrids under battery issues.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I feel your pain. My first Toyota, I don't trust it to start every time (dead battery in first 2000ish miles). Only issue so far, and I am hoping it was a one off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is my third RAV4. Loved my first two both Limited. Never in 7 years had to go to the shop for other than routine maintenance. The 2020 has required a jump start. Never found a reason by the mechanics for why the battery drained down. Blamed me. I was outraged.

Got locked out of the car twice. No reoccurrence thank goodness.

Toyota designed a car that jerks when moving from a dead stop. This was to save gas usage. There is a switch to override this. Commonsense would have dictated a design that would not have a jerky motion which could result in rear ending someone. The owner could have pressed a button to save gas. But corporate mentality thinks we are all stupid and can't make our own choices. I'd opt not to rear-end someone versus saving a miniscule amount of gas.

The latest intermittent issue is that the display telling you to step on brake and press the ignition switch does not always work. Fortunately the car still starts.

I don't think I'll be holding on to this car for very long. Perhaps time to try a different brand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just had the problem with the dead battery this week on my 2020 Rav4 hybrid with 1100 miles on it. Went to start it the other day and it was completely dead. I had driven it 2 days earlier. After much tribulation and looking up how to jump start it (you can check Youtube) I was able to jump it and took it to the dealer, which of course didn't find any issues. I told the service guy about these posts and he said he was only aware of another similar incident a couple of weeks earlier, but nothing else. To his credit though, he followed through, and after I left he did some research with Toyota and found out this is a known problem which can be fixed (hopefully) with a firmware update. He called me back and I made an appointment for next week. He said it would take 2-3 hours and needed a tech who specializes in this service. So if you're still having this problem and your dealer hasn't done anything about it, get back with them and let them know. I'm happy with my service...if indeed this does fix the issue. If it doesn't, I'll post it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Maury:

This is useful information. No one mentioned a thing about a firmware upgrade.I took my RAV4 to the dealer the day it happened. They checked everything out and charged the battery. After I left the display showed battery charging intermittently. Brought back and they rechecked everything. So far no issues. BTW everyone from Toyota fail to acknowledge there is an issue. I've seen far too many posts to believe this is an isolated issue. Probably cheaper for them to send someone out to jump start cars using the Toyota Care Account services.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Glad I could help. I hope it does fix the issue. About that Roadside Assistance. That's what the dealer suggested when I called them to jump my battery since, at the time, I had no idea how to do it. Nobody answered the 800 number, instead they sent me a link on my phone for me to report the problem. First the website couldn't find my vin. Continued without it and reported the problem. Completed the process and they gave me another 844 number to check for updates. Never heard back from anybody. I'm not one to just wait around, so after figuring out how to jump it myself, I tried to call the 844 number to cancel the ticket. The call timed out and some message came on about their emergency services being backed up because of 'flooding in the south'. I'm in Ohio, what the hell does flooding in the south have to do with my emergency. It's been 2 days, I still haven't heard back. Good thing I wasn't stuck on the side of the road somewhere. Toyota definitely needs to take a serious look at who they are farming this service out too, since they are using it as a selling incentive for their vehicles...as other companies are. Needless to say, I wrote a lengthy report to Toyota about my issues. I'm glad I kept my AAA membership just in case.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Maury:

This is useful information. No one mentioned a thing about a firmware upgrade.I took my RAV4 to the dealer the day it happened. They checked everything out and charged the battery. After I left the display showed battery charging intermittently. Brought back and they rechecked everything. So far no issues. BTW everyone from Toyota fail to acknowledge there is an issue. I've seen far too many posts to believe this is an isolated issue. Probably cheaper for them to send someone out to jump start cars using the Toyota Care Account services.
Check out my post in the TSB section. In the post there is an image of page 1 but links to picture of the whole page 1 and 2. On page 2 there is reference that T-SB-0021-20 "fixes" the depleted 12V battery issue so it has been mentioned ;) Granted, the title doesn't lead you to believe it's for the 12 volt issue but check it out. I haven't found the entire TSB but these 2 pages should help with dealing with the dealer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Add my 2020 gas XLE to the list...almost 1 year old and at about 5000 miles. Battery drained overnight, oddly just after I got a letter and email that my Toyota connected services (with I never use or activated) were being extended. Went to the dealer appointment this morning with T-SB-0021-20 printed out and mentioned that the internets are filling up with dead Rav4s. They did the firmware update and my 1 year service at the same time. Said they found no explanation for the battery drain...schooled me on accessory mode etc.....we will see how it goes from here...will probably look into picking up a jump pack battery.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Add my 2020 gas XLE to the list...almost 1 year old and at about 5000 miles. Battery drained overnight, oddly just after I got a letter and email that my Toyota connected services (with I never use or activated) were being extended. Went to the dealer appointment this morning with T-SB-0021-20 printed out and mentioned that the internets are filling up with dead Rav4s. They did the firmware update and my 1 year service at the same time. Said they found no explanation for the battery drain...schooled me on accessory mode etc.....we will see how it goes from here...will probably look into picking up a jump pack battery.
I wish I only drove 5K a year!!! Picked up a NOCO GB70... overkill for the RAV4, but hopefully I use it helping others more than myself.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I wish I only drove 5K a year!!! Picked up a NOCO GB70... overkill for the RAV4, but hopefully I use it helping others more than myself.
Wow...I was hoping to keep it under $100....there are so many choices there. Is NOCO a top choice brand for these?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wow...I was hoping to keep it under $100....there are so many choices there. Is NOCO a top choice brand for these?
Look at the NOCO GB40. Just bought mine when RAV died in my driveway, honestly haven’t used it yet. That brand has really good reviews online. That’s what sold me.

Reactions: Roqdawg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good to find out I'm not the only one with this issue. 2020 RAV4 Premium, 6 mo old, 10,000 miles. Left parked for 36 hours, DEAD battery. I haven't tried any fixes mentioned yet, but will be sure and mention it to the dealer in 2 days when we go in for an oil change.
Mine Rav4 2020 Premium has 1,215 miles on it and is only 2 months old. I use it everyday so it had not even been sitting for more than 24 hours when it happened. Car displayed key smart key malfunction when attempting to press the start button and would just make a soft "click" sound. After a few tries, the whole thing just went completely dead. No power to anything. Toyota care jumped it but also noted the battery was "good" and suggested someone must have left something on, but that's just impossible. The car will not allow you to leave something "on" without indicating it with a long beep when touching the door to lock it up. Even the radio automatically turns off after like 20 minutes when in accessory mode. Also, the Toyota app showed it's last communication at 1:32AM that everything was all good, closed and locked up! By 10:20AM that morning, it was dead.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
the Toyota app showed it's last communication at 1:32AM that everything was all good, closed and locked up! By 10:20AM that morning, it was dead.
Sounds like the start of a murder mystery. "He was last seen ... he was found dead"

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone first time posting.
Just purchased a 2020 rav4 xle premium first of December, first problem, leaving to go to work 5:30 am. no start had a dead battery, I jumped started and about 30 seconds after crank up the engine started to make a rattling and knocking sound so I immediately shut the engine off, and called Toyota road service to haul to the dealer ( 37 miles away ) the rav4 has 1,273 miles on it when this happened.
The service department had the car for 2.5 hours and could not find any problem, the service tech said the rattling and knocking was the high pressure fuel pump and that was normal, the tech said they charged the battery and did not know why it went dead. My question is has anybody experienced a battery drain with there new rav4 ? Fingers crossed this don't happen again, Thanks for any information.
I had it happen to me yesterday at 6AM except mine was totally dead, but I did not charge it. I had it towed to the dealership under warranty. The service manager just called me to say it's ready to go. I asked him if he knew why it died. Evidently there all the underlying systems kept running even after I turned the car off. He said they had to do a "one-time update" to it and I should be good to go. I've never heard of anything like that ... but my former vehicle was a 2004 Chevy Silverado which was 0% electronic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just had the problem with the dead battery this week on my 2020 Rav4 hybrid with 1100 miles on it. Went to start it the other day and it was completely dead. I had driven it 2 days earlier. After much tribulation and looking up how to jump start it (you can check Youtube) I was able to jump it and took it to the dealer, which of course didn't find any issues. I told the service guy about these posts and he said he was only aware of another similar incident a couple of weeks earlier, but nothing else. To his credit though, he followed through, and after I left he did some research with Toyota and found out this is a known problem which can be fixed (hopefully) with a firmware update. He called me back and I made an appointment for next week. He said it would take 2-3 hours and needed a tech who specializes in this service. So if you're still having this problem and your dealer hasn't done anything about it, get back with them and let them know. I'm happy with my service...if indeed this does fix the issue. If it doesn't, I'll post it.
Try disengagement of parking brake. It draws on battery. I did a load test.
I can now leave it in garage for 4 days it will start right up as long as key is not near it.
Toyota needs to fix this!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I’ve posted on other threads with similar issues, and done a lot of my own research also. Here’s my take on it: It only has happened to me once, and when the car was about 2 weeks old. I installed a Bluetooth battery monitor after the dealer told me it was because I wasn’t driving the car enough!! I have never witnessed it happening again.

The only thing I can tell you, after all the research and testing I have done is this: One time, while checking things out, I noticed that the small screen in front of the driver was on, telling me the liftgae was open. I immediately put an ammeter across the battery, and found that with that screen on, there was a current draw of almost 2 amps. I concluded that maybe the screen stayed powered that one instance. It would have been enough to flatten the battery over the two days the car was sitting in the garage. My Rav 4 is a limited hybrid, but the issue has happened to both hybrids and gas powered, and mostly 2020 models.

The parking brake suggestion, I don’t find valid. The reason being that the parking brake is actuated electrically and when it’s set there is no more power on the parking brake actuator. If the actuator remained powered, in my opinon, it will load up the actuator and. Either burn it out or pop a fuse.

I’ve done the calculations and for me at least, the draw on the 55 amp hour battery is around 2 amps or so. in doing my research I did a lot of things. Locking the doors in the garage, leaving them unlocked, leaving a window down, you name it. I’ve never been able to duplicate it and the dealer couldn’t either. I don’t believe its the batteries: If a battery shorts internally then it’s pretty much done. It would be very unusual for the short to open up again.

I’ve also let me car sit for up to 6 days without using it, and the battery voltage has still been acceptable. The monitor unit I installed, gives me a message on my iphone or ipad telling me the status, every morning when I turn them on.

There is quite a parasitic drain on these vehicles when they are at rest, with security system, reporting to the toyota apps, and other general things, but it’s not that heavy.

Would I leave the car sitting a month and expect it to start? Probably not. I”d put a battery maintainer on it for that. I do that as a matter of course with my vehicles anyway if we are gone for a month or more.

Cheers
John

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve posted on other threads with similar issues, and done a lot of my own research also. Here’s my take on it: It only has happened to me once, and when the car was about 2 weeks old. I installed a Bluetooth battery monitor after the dealer told me it was because I wasn’t driving the car enough!! I have never witnessed it happening again.

The only thing I can tell you, after all the research and testing I have done is this: One time, while checking things out, I noticed that the small screen in front of the driver was on, telling me the liftgae was open. I immediately put an ammeter across the battery, and found that with that screen on, there was a current draw of almost 2 amps. I concluded that maybe the screen stayed powered that one instance. It would have been enough to flatten the battery over the two days the car was sitting in the garage. My Rav 4 is a limited hybrid, but the issue has happened to both hybrids and gas powered, and mostly 2020 models.

The parking brake suggestion, I don’t find valid. The reason being that the parking brake is actuated electrically and when it’s set there is no more power on the parking brake actuator. If the actuator remained powered, in my opinon, it will load up the actuator and. Either burn it out or pop a fuse.

I’ve done the calculations and for me at least, the draw on the 55 amp hour battery is around 2 amps or so. in doing my research I did a lot of things. Locking the doors in the garage, leaving them unlocked, leaving a window down, you name it. I’ve never been able to duplicate it and the dealer couldn’t either. I don’t believe its the batteries: If a battery shorts internally then it’s pretty much done. It would be very unusual for the short to open up again.

I’ve also let me car sit for up to 6 days without using it, and the battery voltage has still been acceptable. The monitor unit I installed, gives me a message on my iphone or ipad telling me the status, every morning when I turn them on.

There is quite a parasitic drain on these vehicles when they are at rest, with security system, reporting to the toyota apps, and other general things, but it’s not that heavy.

Would I leave the car sitting a month and expect it to start? Probably not. I”d put a battery maintainer on it for that. I do that as a matter of course with my vehicles anyway if we are gone for a month or more.

Cheers
John
Interesting response. Explain why i can let it sit for 4 days with P brake not engaged.
If engaged battery will die in less than 2 days.
I get that message about my tailgate if im out and about. Screen always shuts down when im parked.
Dealership told me “ you have to drive these cars daily”what school of bullshit did that message come from ? BS school of toyota.
Im interested in what type of monitor Bluetooth you purchased. Thx!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well, I can’t explain why your vehicle will drain the battery in a couple of days with the parking brake set. I did parasitic drain tests on my vehicle with the parking brake set and with it off and saw no apparent difference.

I haven’t actually caught my screen not shutting down, I can only suspect that for some reason, it didn’t one time. Yes, I too was told I wasn’t driving the vehicle enough. I called BS on that as others have had the issue with daily drivers, and just went out the next morning to start it and the battery was flat. Both hybrid and gas models.

I did notice that there was a software update done on my 2020 at the 5,000 mile check, that doesn’t seem to have been recorded anywhere. I also noted that the gas tank and sender were replaced, but nothing appears in the record on that either. Not in the service record online, that’s for sure.

Getting back to your problem, it’s possible there could be some current drain through the limit switch/proximity device that tells the actuator the parking brake is set. Not sure what they might us, but there has to be som kind of sensor to remove power to the unit. If you can pin. It down to the parking brake, which it appears you have, you might be well ahead to just demand that they replace the parking brake actuator, and see if the issue goes away.

In these vehicles, there is so much magic stuff that I can see how a dealer with only a limited amount of time to troubleshoot, could easily miss something. My car did something very weird last night: The eco AC system usually only supples AC to the driver if there is one person in the vehicle. Last night on a trip out, it was supplying air to passenger and. rear. Then, on the way home, it operated normally and only supplied it to the driver position. Go figure. It was cold though, 41f so I wonder if the system is smart enough that it knows it needs to supply heat or air all around the vehicle until it heats up enough for the one system to be able to maintain heat.

261 - 280 of 315 Posts