Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
281 - 300 of 315 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, I can’t explain why your vehicle will drain the battery in a couple of days with the parking brake set. I did parasitic drain tests on my vehicle with the parking brake set and with it off and saw no apparent difference.

I haven’t actually caught my screen not shutting down, I can only suspect that for some reason, it didn’t one time. Yes, I too was told I wasn’t driving the vehicle enough. I called BS on that as others have had the issue with daily drivers, and just went out the next morning to start it and the battery was flat. Both hybrid and gas models.

I did notice that there was a software update done on my 2020 at the 5,000 mile check, that doesn’t seem to have been recorded anywhere. I also noted that the gas tank and sender were replaced, but nothing appears in the record on that either. Not in the service record online, that’s for sure.

Getting back to your problem, it’s possible there could be some current drain through the limit switch/proximity device that tells the actuator the parking brake is set. Not sure what they might us, but there has to be som kind of sensor to remove power to the unit. If you can pin. It down to the parking brake, which it appears you have, you might be well ahead to just demand that they replace the parking brake actuator, and see if the issue goes away.

In these vehicles, there is so much magic stuff that I can see how a dealer with only a limited amount of time to troubleshoot, could easily miss something. My car did something very weird last night: The eco AC system usually only supples AC to the driver if there is one person in the vehicle. Last night on a trip out, it was supplying air to passenger and. rear. Then, on the way home, it operated normally and only supplied it to the driver position. Go figure. It was cold though, 41f so I wonder if the system is smart enough that it knows it needs to supply heat or air all around the vehicle until it heats up enough for the one system to be able to maintain heat.
I had it happen to me yesterday at 6AM except mine was totally dead, but I did not charge it. I had it towed to the dealership under warranty. The service manager just called me to say it's ready to go. I asked him if he knew why it died. Evidently there all the underlying systems kept running even after I turned the car off. He said they had to do a "one-time update" to it and I should be good to go. I've never heard of anything like that ... but my former vehicle was a 2004 Chevy Silverado which was 0% electronic.
Yeah after a couple of go-arounds with this it seems the issue is related to the communication module that's built into the vehicle. From my understanding, the module attempts to connect back to Toyota but fails to communicate and gets stuck in an endless loop which causes the battery to drain. So the service bulletin related to a firmware update released by Toyota addresses this specific issue. I was able to confirm the software version by going into the service menu:
1. Key in the ignition to "On", but don't start the engine.
2. Power / Volume to "Off"
3. Menu --> Display --> Screen off
4. "Seek" (press 5 times) *
5. "Track" (press 5 times) *

I ended up getting the free firmware update complete as well and have not had any issues since.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Now this is interesting, as they did some kind of update to my car when it was in for service two weeks ago. They mentioned it on the phone, but there was nothing mentioned in the work order or on the invoice.

·
Registered
2020 XLE Premium
2 Posts
It happened 1st time for me this morning when about to head out for Sunday church service. 2020 XLE gas model manufactured and purchased back in July with only 2500+ miles. I remember setting the parking brake for the first time last evening when I parked it in the garage and battery was deader than a door nail this morning. Typically I don't mess withe the parking brake. Only other thing recently was that the radio display gave me a message entune needed an update but clicked the "do it at a later time" button. I have it on a 1 1/2 amp batt charger right now. Drove the RAV on a 60 mile trip on Friday so it wasn't like it hasn't been driven enough. Very strange!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having the same issue with the 2020 Rav 4 Premium. Went to dealership and they said Toyota was aware of the issue and I would have to wait for a recall. My response was so everytime I want to start my car im going to have to get a jump from roadside assistance? He replied I guess so I dont know?? Just the kind of terrible response you can expect from a dealer. I opened a case with corporate and will make a huge fuss until they find some sort of resolution for this issue. Waiting to hear back from a customer service manager and then will take next steps. Frustrating to say the least Toyota has had such a good track record for producing reliable cars and trucks. I should have known better to buy anything associated with the year 2020.
I am looking to use the lemon law to make them fix or replace mine. I need the firmware update, but am 2000$ away from the nearest dealer. I am not even confident that this will fix the problem. First new car purchase ever and it is dead daily. We bought 2 new Toyotas this year, a Tacoma and a Rav4 LE. I am so frustrated. Maybe I should have it replaced with a 2019. Sounds like the 2020s are Lemons.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I got a portable jump starter for my car from walmart. So when my battery died in my 2020 it took 2 minutes or less to put one black cable to a grounding point in the car and one to the positive of the battery. Its only died one time. I went on a 10 day vacation and returned to a dead battery. But at least i know i can jump start with ease.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am looking to use the lemon law to make them fix or replace mine. I need the firmware update, but am 2000$ away from the nearest dealer. I am not even confident that this will fix the problem. First new car purchase ever and it is dead daily. We bought 2 new Toyotas this year, a Tacoma and a Rav4 LE. I am so frustrated. Maybe I should have it replaced with a 2019. Sounds like the 2020s are Lemons.
You would need to demonstrate that you've had a history of issues and failed resolution attempts by the dealer to really even have a chance at using the lemon law successfully. I was a little skeptical about the firmware update too. Though, I've not had any issues since and I'm now absolutely convinced it has resolved the problem. There is a way to confirm the firmware version you have by logging into service mode on your display screen. Since you live so far away, I would call the service dept and ask them to walk you through it and confirm if the update is required. It's really easy to do and confirm before making the trip.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone first time posting.
Just purchased a 2020 rav4 xle premium first of December, first problem, leaving to go to work 5:30 am. no start had a dead battery, I jumped started and about 30 seconds after crank up the engine started to make a rattling and knocking sound so I immediately shut the engine off, and called Toyota road service to haul to the dealer ( 37 miles away ) the rav4 has 1,273 miles on it when this happened.
The service department had the car for 2.5 hours and could not find any problem, the service tech said the rattling and knocking was the high pressure fuel pump and that was normal, the tech said they charged the battery and did not know why it went dead. My question is has anybody experienced a battery drain with there new rav4 ? Fingers crossed this don't happen again, Thanks for any information.
Yes! It happened in o me this morning. I have a 6 month old RAV4 limited and it was dead dead this morning. Called Toyota and they yold me to get a jump and drive it straight to them and that unfortunately, Camry and RAVS 2020 models have to have their soft updated so they can deprogram the battery from running all night. Only they can do it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I posted the below message seven months ago on the "LE Battery dead" tread, but I thought I would update it to say that since the ECU was replaced in the Spring of 2020, I have had no other issues with the battery.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, just thought I would share my experiences in this area with my gas 2020 XLE.

Since I got this Rav in November (2019), there has been a soft buzzing sound (sometimes clicking) coming from the very back of the vehicle when the engine was turned off. This buzzing would occur for all the time the vehicle was off. While none of my previous Ravs made this sound, and neither did my wife's Rav4 (also a 2020 XLE), I did not concern my self too much with it, as it did not seem to affect vehicle function. I decided to wait until my first service visit to get Toyota to look into it.

The vehicle worked fine until the Saturday it was scheduled to go in for its six month maintenance. On that morning, when I went to drive it in, the vehicle failed to start (the engine not turning over, dash lights flashing), which seemed to indicate a dead battery. I contacted Toyota to tell them I would be late for my appointment, and had roadside assistance pay me a visit to boost the vehicle. Once it was boosted, the vehicle ran fine, and I was able to drive it to Toyota for the six month servicing and to check out the reason for the drained battery. They contacted me later that day to say that the battery was run down and they were charging it up. They had no answers for why this had occurred, but I mentioned the buzzing or clicking sounds it made while off, and they said they would have to have a technician hook it up to computer to diagnose it, but being the weekend when the techs were not working, I would have to schedule another visit during the week.

I took the vehicle home that day (Saturday) and it worked fine as usually, still buzzing when off. The next Monday I booked an appointment (which I had to wait two weeks for) to get the buzzing looked at. The vehicle worked fine for those two weeks.

When I took the Rav in for Toyota to look at the second time, they had it for they day, and then informed me that they could not here any buzzing or clicking and said it was probably the exhaust cooling that I was hearing (having driven vehicles for nearly 40 years, and worked on many during that time, I took offense). When I went to pick up my vehicle, it was outside next to the building. I went around to the back of the vehicle and could still hear the buzzing, although it was hard to hear unless you put your ear close to the back end, as the building's A/C system was making a loud racket. I went in to the service department, got one of the service reps to come out and put his ear to the back to hear the sound. He heard it and bough out a tech to listen as well. They agreed to further investigate and I left the vehicle overnight to examine the issue. The next day after looking into the source of the buzzing, they eventually concluded that it was a faulty ECU that was causing a relay or servo to run on after engine shutoff. Luckily they had one in stock and replaced the defective unit and the buzzing disappeared.

It was a hassle to get them to finally take the buzzing seriously and look into and resolve the issue, but now at least there is no buzzing from the back of the car, and hopefully there will be no more draining of the battery. I apologize for the long winded description, but I thought the details of my issue might help others determine a possible explanation for a drained battery, when nothing else seems to be at fault.

TLDR: Faulty ECU caused relay or servo to run on after vehicle shutoff, eventually draining the battery.

·
Registered
168 Posts
That's what I have been seeing on some posts, I sure hope that's not my answer when I take it back to the service dept.
Just did a voltage check and got 12.5 volts if I am not wrong a fully charged battery should be around 13 to 14 volts ?
I will check in this afternoon and see if it gets any lower.
12.5 volts is about right. I believe 12.6 volts is the spec. You need to check the battery voltage at "rest" - which is about 30 minutes after it last ran.

If it drops anywhere near 12.2 volts or lower you likely have a bad battery / bad cell.

At charge (running) it should be at 13.7 volts or higher. I am not all that familiar with my Rav4 charging system yet, but its likely that it has a smart charge system, which means the charging will turn off once the battery is fully charged even when running.

How long did it sit for before the dead battery? I have had nothing but bad luck with the new cheap batteries over the years. One cell goes bad and will drain the entire battery in a few days, but if your driving the car a couple times a day you don't notice it.

When you tried to start the car did it click or anything - lights on, etc? Possibly its a different issue than dead battery.
Voltage alone does not indicate the health status of a batt or alternator. They both need to provide appropriate amps (power).
But yes, LA batts (AGM or flooded) will rest around 12.4-12.8. When running the alternator on batt should be 14.x

Batts and charging are always tricky to diagnose if you cannot load test them.

Most times a fail to crank is because if a bad batt. It is always good to load test the alternator when a batt is replaced, because a bum alternator can lead to another bad batt and often time people keep blaming it as bad batt. An alternator that is on fritz or partially not working may present 13.6-13.8v on the batt but is not providing enough amps to the system, so eventually the batt dies again.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yes! It happened in o me this morning. I have a 6 month old RAV4 limited and it was dead dead this morning. Called Toyota and they yold me to get a jump and drive it straight to them and that unfortunately, Camry and RAVS 2020 models have to have their soft updated so they can deprogram the battery from running all night. Only they can do it.
Is there a TSB for this "batt being drained all the time" issue?
I have 2020 Rav4 limited, no issues with batt.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Manufacturer date is 10/19 we have had the car right at 3 weeks, and it has been fine till Monday morning of this week.
Hopeful it is just the battery I sure hate to have some tech pulling wires taking dash apart.
In your initial post you say that you bought the car in Dec 2020, and here your manufacture date is Oct 2019. If this is true, your car was sitting on the lot for over one year.....no wonder you have battery issues. A brand new aftermarket battery could help.

·
Registered
168 Posts
In your initial post you say that you bought the car in Dec 2020, and here your manufacture date is Oct 2019. If this is true, your car was sitting on the lot for over one year.....no wonder you have battery issues. A brand new aftermarket battery could help.
I am running a Diehard Platinum in my Lexus now, supposedly this batt is made by same Co (Enersys) that makes Odyssey brand, which gets good reviews/ratings.

But, a unused batt that drained down because it was never on a charger of any kind, "should" take a charge and work ok from there.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have 2020 RAV4 Trail TRD and it's affected by this as well. Is there any work around or a solution for this yet? I'm hesitant to take it to the dealership as they'll probably tell me there's no issue with it. I'm thinking about buying an aftermarket battery. Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have 2020 RAV4 Trail TRD and it's affected by this as well. Is there any work around or a solution for this yet? I'm hesitant to take it to the dealership as they'll probably tell me there's no issue with it. I'm thinking about buying an aftermarket battery. Any suggestions? Thanks
Best to take to dealer for eval. Some have reported a TSB for a software update solves the issue. (link below)

Toyota TSB T-TT-0625-20 — 2020 RAV4 | CarComplaints.com

·
Registered
168 Posts
Post #281, that's an interesting service menu. But what exactly am I looking for? Some of the dates shown in that menu (sub menus) make no sense to me, dates that seem like 10yrs old.

What sub menu item are we looking at to determine the firmware version? And what is the updated version # ?

One menu showed my batt voltage at 12.1v. Most sites suggest a 12v lead acid batt (FLA or AGM) should rest around 12.4 to 12.7. I had the door open when in service menu, so the door ding was going and the dash lights are on, but that's all low power stuff.

My Rav still starts ok though.

The Tech Tip doc shows it's for 20-21' vehicles, but is it all 20's? There's no VIN sequence listed, so I assume all 20's ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Post #281, that's an interesting service menu. But what exactly am I looking for? Some of the dates shown in that menu (sub menus) make no sense to me, dates that seem like 10yrs old.

What sub menu item are we looking at to determine the firmware version? And what is the updated version # ?

One menu showed my batt voltage at 12.1v. Most sites suggest a 12v lead acid batt (FLA or AGM) should rest around 12.4 to 12.7. I had the door open when in service menu, so the door ding was going and the dash lights are on, but that's all low power stuff.

My Rav still starts ok though.

The Tech Tip doc shows it's for 20-21' vehicles, but is it all 20's? There's no VIN sequence listed, so I assume all 20's ?
See my thread here: How to access the service menu (2020 RAV4 LE)

Service Information --> Version Information

281 - 300 of 315 Posts