Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
301 - 315 of 315 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Yeah after a couple of go-arounds with this it seems the issue is related to the communication module that's built into the vehicle. From my understanding, the module attempts to connect back to Toyota but fails to communicate and gets stuck in an endless loop which causes the battery to drain. So the service bulletin related to a firmware update released by Toyota addresses this specific issue. I was able to confirm the software version by going into the service menu:
1. Key in the ignition to "On", but don't start the engine.
2. Power / Volume to "Off"
3. Menu --> Display --> Screen off
4. "Seek" (press 5 times) *
5. "Track" (press 5 times) *

I ended up getting the free firmware update complete as well and have not had any issues since.
I don't see the DCM firmware version by the above steps to service model. I can only use TechStream to read DCM firmware version.

·
Registered
204 Posts
My battery died once down to 0 due to my own fault once. Basically i had some sound system things misconfigured whwre they didnt turn off. My innova meter now shows 50 percent sometimes and full one second later. Im getting good volts like 12 to 13 without the engine running. The photos are the volts with with engine running. I am just curious if my battery was damaged and now it only can charge to half capacity based off of what i see a half charge on the tester.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bought my RAV4 in May of 2020 and this issue last week. Randomly would get "Battery charging" when the auto start/stop should engage. Noticed one morning that the car was a hair slow to turn over, then the next morning the battery was completely dead despite driving for about 40 minutes in each direction the day before. Had the TSB firmware update applied and it's been gravy ever since.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2019 Rav4 with 1500 miles on it has had 3 battery failures in parked overnight garage. Dealer gave battery the a-ok on service call after 1st and 2nd failures (I jump started vehicle each time) and I am interested in dealer's response for my 3rd upcoming service call. All along I've been thinking I might have left some light/device on in the car overnight but lately it appears to possibly be a defective battery instead?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2021 Hybrid RAV4 (ordered it end of last year - 4k miles) and it was dead today. I believe it was off for at least 4 days in my garage. 2 days ago, I tried to start it and got an error message about my smart key not working. I tried with the spare key today and it was completely dead. Had it towed to dealership, but I assume I have the DCM update you mentioned since my car is much newer. If the EPKB is not the issue, any other ideas?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2021 Hybrid RAV4 (ordered it end of last year - 4k miles) and it was dead today. I believe it was off for at least 4 days in my garage. 2 days ago, I tried to start it and got an error message about my smart key not working. I tried with the spare key today and it was completely dead. Had it towed to dealership, but I assume I have the DCM update you mentioned since my car is much newer. If the EPKB is not the issue, any other ideas?
The dealer should be aware of the firmware update that needs to happen (if in fact that is the same issue I had). The problem is the overhead emergency button of the car is always on even when the car is off, and after several days of non-use it drains the battery. The firmware update fixed my problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi everyone first time posting.
Just purchased a 2020 rav4 xle premium first of December, first problem, leaving to go to work 5:30 am. no start had a dead battery, I jumped started and about 30 seconds after crank up the engine started to make a rattling and knocking sound so I immediately shut the engine off, and called Toyota road service to haul to the dealer ( 37 miles away ) the rav4 has 1,273 miles on it when this happened.
The service department had the car for 2.5 hours and could not find any problem, the service tech said the rattling and knocking was the high pressure fuel pump and that was normal, the tech said they charged the battery and did not know why it went dead. My question is has anybody experienced a battery drain with there new rav4 ? Fingers crossed this don't happen again, Thanks for any information.
I had the same issue with my 2020 hybrid not long after I got it. Long story short, there is an issue with the communication module that transmits your vehicle stats after you shut down. Sometimes it doesn’t disconnect the cellular link and flattens the battery. There is a software fix, and I would have thought your prime would have had it. I never had the issue again, but nobody from Toyota would tell me what the fix was. I found out through the grapevine. I had the tsb done at my first 5,000 mile visit. The service bulletin doesn’t mention that it cures the problem. It pushes me off that toyota doesn’t tell us customers, 1, what the issue is and 2, what the fix is.

I hope this is the cause of your issue, as it’s an easy fix. I about drive myself nuts trying to figure out what the drain was.
Cheers
John

·
Registered
2 Posts
The dealer should be aware of the firmware update that needs to happen (if in fact that is the same issue I had). The problem is the overhead emergency button of the car is always on even when the car is off, and after several days of non-use it drains the battery. The firmware update fixed my problem. Good luck.
The dealer said that I did not have the DCM update and they installed it. They seemed to be aware of this issue and said they have seen it with RAV4s and Camrys and sometimes the battery from the factory needs replacement.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2020 RAV4 died twice in the first year. I was told the software was updated to fix the issue. But three months later, it died again. Very disappointed!!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
T’he problem, which I had with my 2020 limited hybrid, a week or two after I bought it is this: The cellular network did not Disconnect after the vehicle was shut down. After you shut down and park the vehicle, the cellular system transmits all the trip operating data to ‘Toyota. I don’t like that, but it’s what the vehicle does. The problem came because the Cell system failed to basically hang up the cell call after the data was transmitted so it remained active and connected and ran down the 12 volt battery. The firmware upgrade fixed the problem, but nowhere did it identify that this. Upgrade encompassed this fix. I was pissed off the Toyota kept telling me there was nothing wrong when they were already working on a fix and knew what the issue was. What also pissed me off was that after the update, they still never told me it was supposed to fix the problem. I had to find out via other areas.

So if your firmwre is updated to the latest level, you should be good to go. Check your fit ware just as the others above described. You can also go in and check to see if there are any firmware updates available and most can be downloaded by you. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2021 Rav 4 XLE gas engine
1,090 Posts
My 2020 RAV4 died twice in the first year. I was told the software was updated to fix the issue. But three months later, it died again. Very disappointed!!!
Welcome to the Forum.

@Tazio Nuvolari is familiar with the history of this problem. Am sure he will reply soon.
If indeed your RAV was properly updated with the latest firmware from the Data Communication Module TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) then I think your battery may be internally failing. It's also possible your car simply had a defective battery from the factory. When batteries go completely dead several times it causes chemical changes to the plates and cells. Generally they cannot thereafter fully charge and hold that charge. I would advise you to get your battery tested for free at an Autozone or similar parts store. Its quicker and easier than going to the dealer. If indeed your battery has crapped out then make an appointment at the dealer and insist they give you a new battery--since you have a 2020 its still under warranty. With regards to those people with hybrids and 12V battery issues even after the DCM update I understand that there is some sort of module near the 12V in the cargo area that may fail due to extreme cold weather and cause the battery to die. I don't know any more detailed information on this hybrid problem or the TSB number--search the hybrid sub section.

301 - 315 of 315 Posts