Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys just got my XLE and was planning to undercoat it with rubber/asphalt mix for noise cancellation and rust proofing.However, i saw most (almost 90%) of the under carriage has plastic covers almost like a Hot wheels car or more like a F1 car.

Has anyone raised their 2019/2020 Rav4 and checked the underside? i dont have a jack or a friend who can raise it on a hydrulic lift.

Any info or PICTURES would do great.

·
Registered
335 Posts
rubber/tar on the frame will trap moisture and cause your car to rust faster. I still need to rustproof my RAV4, but I am planning on using fluid film, woolwax or CRC corrosion inhibitor.

·
Registered
37 Posts
following this post.

my dealership does not even offer a coating, even though I would have purchased it. they said it was because there is so much plastic under the rav. they also said coatings can mess with wiring and plug drainage holes. I am still unsure...but perhaps I can just wash it often to keep salt off.

·
Registered
335 Posts
following this post.

my dealership does not even offer a coating, even though I would have purchased it. they said it was because there is so much plastic under the rav. they also said coatings can mess with wiring and plug drainage holes. I am still unsure...but perhaps I can just wash it often to keep salt off.
I am planning on rustproofing inside the frame, door panels, hood, etc and areas under the car that are not covered in plastic, control arms and suspension components. 1 month of ownership and my car is already showing signs of rust. The undercoating paint from Toyota is not very good. It is no match for salt and corrosion.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
following this post.

Thanks for that helpful info. Which part of US are you located?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for that helpful info. Which part of US are you located?
Western new York. we are known for salt and snow hahah. but im still super nervous and have been hoping to find a more solid answer to this question myself. my 2015 camry was undercoated with a black spray. I was surprised it wasn't offered for the rav. I purchased from a high traffic dealership too. I did buy the paint protector glasscoat or whatever, mostly for the warranty.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Never had to rust proof any of the cars before. Is Toyota known to rust more then others?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Never had to rust proof any of the cars before. Is Toyota known to rust more then others?
Uh, yeah. My 2011 FJ Cruiser has had paint peeling off the frame issues ever since I got it. As far as I know, their frame painting leaves a lot to be desired, but since the Rav4 is uni body, it should've been dipped before painting, especially since Toyota was sued over the fiasco, so hopefully they've gotten better at rust proofing their cars and trucks. Fluid Film is the way to go if you want to rust proof the bottom of a vehicle. It isn't permanent, but can be easily reapplied when working under the car and it's not thick and heavy like undercoating. Undercoating is just a nasty mess that traps water and snirt. My husband used to live in Minnesota and all the regular undercoating did was block the drain holes and trap moisture behind it because it DOES tend to de-laminate from the surfaces it's sprayed on if it's not perfectly clean. Plus, you can't get it sprayed inside the rocker panels and that's where the water and salt end up, making the rust cancer spread like a wildfire.

Toyota Truck Frame Rust

·
Registered
335 Posts
Uh, yeah. My 2011 FJ Cruiser has had paint peeling off the frame issues ever since I got it. As far as I know, their frame painting leaves a lot to be desired, but since the Rav4 is uni body, it should've been dipped before painting. Fluid Film is the way to go if you want to rust proof the bottom of a vehicle. It isn't permanent, but can be easily reapplied when working under the car and it's not thick and heavy like undercoating. Undercoating is just a nasty mess that traps water and snirt. My husband used to live in Minnesota and all the regular undercoating did was block the drain holes and trap moisture behind it because it DOES tend to de-laminate from the surfaces it's sprayed on if it's not perfectly clean. Plus, you can't get it sprayed inside the rocker panels and that's where the water and salt end up, making the rust cancer spread like a wildfire.

Toyota Truck Frame Rust
Have you rustproofed your RAV4 yet?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Have you rustproofed your RAV4 yet?
Not yet. Oregon has just started to use salt on the interstates, so for now I'm avoiding driving on the freeways whenever there's snow or ice forecast, which is rare in the Willamette Valley anyway. Besides, around here, a lot of people haven't driven in the snow and ice and they're usually the worse road hazards to avoid than any salt when driving in inclement weather. The usual rain we get hasn't caused any issues on my Rav4 that I've noticed so far, other than the brake calipers which have a little corrosion on their bottoms. I'm going to paint those this summer anyway. What I wonder is, how much will that full length plastic shield under the car protect or aggravate the collection road water and salt? The wheel well metal areas can easily be sprayed with Fluid Film, as well as along the undersides of the rocker panels and under back end avoiding the sensors. But it was up to Toyota to dip the body with some sort of rust proofing and seal the weld joints before it was painted and no amount of self-spray on product is going to get into those nooks and crannies if Toyota's manufacturing was lax. Those weld area nooks and crannies are where rust usually starts going anyway. I can only hope Toyota got the message when they were sued for their rusting truck frames and overcompensated with there current manufacturing practices.

On my FJ, I just have a small can of FF with a dauber and put a coat of the stuff on wherever the paint has peeled off the frame in spots. Internal parts of the frame may be an issue, but I can't get in there with anything, so I don't worry about it. The body hasn't had an issue so far as I can tell.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Uh, yeah. My 2011 FJ Cruiser has had paint peeling off the frame issues ever since I got it. As far as I know, their frame painting leaves a lot to be desired, but since the Rav4 is uni body, it should've been dipped before painting, especially since Toyota was sued over the fiasco, so hopefully they've gotten better at rust proofing their cars and trucks. Fluid Film is the way to go if you want to rust proof the bottom of a vehicle. It isn't permanent, but can be easily reapplied when working under the car and it's not thick and heavy like undercoating. Undercoating is just a nasty mess that traps water and snirt. My husband used to live in Minnesota and all the regular undercoating did was block the drain holes and trap moisture behind it because it DOES tend to de-laminate from the surfaces it's sprayed on if it's not perfectly clean. Plus, you can't get it sprayed inside the rocker panels and that's where the water and salt end up, making the rust cancer spread like a wildfire.

Toyota Truck Frame Rust
what is fluid film and is this something I can do myself?

·
Registered
605 Posts
It's actually called Fluid Film and you can get it at most auto parts stores in either a spray can or a can with a dauber. You can use it yourself just fine. Just be sure to clean any metal areas of any rust, dirt and grime and spray away. It's clear too, but it is a little tacky to the touch and it does slowly wear off if exposed to high pressure water spray over time. Just recoat the high wear areas once a year.

·
Registered
335 Posts
what is fluid film and is this something I can do myself?
I would, otherwise, the shop will just spray that stuff everything. Not everything needs to be coated. You have to be really careful with the newer cars. Plus fluid film/woolwax is not compatible with certain rubbers.

Reactions: Miku

·
Registered
605 Posts
Yep. Metal only. Don't get it on the plastics in the wheel wells or any rubber hoses or rubber brake lines. The Woolwax would be great on the black frame of my FJ. however. (y) FYI, the Fluid Film is clear if you don't want the black look on a light colored underbody.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Here's some links:

This last one people swear by for it's toughness.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Apparently this one is the best. Very long lasting. Not easily washable. I have a case of this in addition to the woolwax. I am debating which one to use this weekend.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.