Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first got the car it appeared to not have the fuel tank issue that has been discussed on this forum. With 2300 miles on the clock it now seems to have developed the problem. Yesterday I embarked on a trip of 522 miles. Started with a half tank of gas. Approximately 170 miles into the trip the low fuel warning light Came on. Car would only tak 9.2 gallons of gas. After fill up the range to empty read 482 miles. 350 miles later the low fuel light came on again. This time, the car took right at 10gallons. When I get home I will be going to the dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Howdy, new member here, just purchased a 2021 Rav4 Hybrid XLE a week ago, came here to find tips and tricks and suggestions to trick out the vehicle, but got alarmed about this fuel fill issue that seems to be a pretty big problem, anyway being a newbie, how can I tell if I have a model that's affected by this issue? How do I know when my model was produced (I have the window sticker that says it was made in KY) so I can figure out if this is going to be a problem for me! Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
1,506 Posts
Howdy, new member here, just purchased a 2021 Rav4 Hybrid XLE a week ago, came here to find tips and tricks and suggestions to trick out the vehicle, but got alarmed about this fuel fill issue that seems to be a pretty big problem, anyway being a newbie, how can I tell if I have a model that's affected by this issue? How do I know when my model was produced (I have the window sticker that says it was made in KY) so I can figure out if this is going to be a problem for me! Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Recent builds have not been reporting the fuel fill problem. Wait till the tank is maybe 1/4 full, fill at full speed and allow the auto-shut-off to happen. Then look at the fuel gauge. If it reads full or slightly more you are fine. Watch for a few fill and that should confirm.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Supposedly, cars produced for 2021 had the new manufacturing that eliminated the issue. at First I didn’t. Now at 2300 miles I had the experience discussed above. We’ll have to see what the dealer says.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'd wait for a second instance to take it to a dealer. My 2019 Limited Hybrid shows similar issues, but inconsistently. I just fill mine on the slowest notch on the pump handle and most of the time it fills OK. Every once in a while, a pump just seems to fill very quickly and shuts off well before it's really full. When mine clicks off the first time, I turn on the engine (EV mode) and check to see the needle is well past F. If not, I slowly add some more. Mind you, this seems to be the exception for me.

That said, I'm not saying others don't have a real issue, because it's clear that many do, especially in 2019.

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
1,506 Posts
I'd wait for a second instance to take it to a dealer. My 2019 Limited Hybrid shows similar issues, but inconsistently. I just fill mine on the slowest notch on the pump handle and most of the time it fills OK. Every once in a while, a pump just seems to fill very quickly and shuts off well before it's really full. When mine clicks off the first time, I turn on the engine (EV mode) and check to see the needle is well past F. If not, I slowly add some more. Mind you, this seems to be the exception for me.

That said, I'm not saying others don't have a real issue, because it's clear that many do, especially in 2019.

Take that '19 in, politely complain and ask them to test your car. You don't have to fill at slow speed if the tank and sensor are right and the calibration is done per the T-SB that supports the CSP. My car went from slow fill multi shut-offs to a single shut-off and the needle just past F. Now works right every time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
When I first got the car it appeared to not have the fuel tank issue that has been discussed on this forum. With 2300 miles on the clock it now seems to have developed the problem. Yesterday I embarked on a trip of 522 miles. Started with a half tank of gas. Approximately 170 miles into the trip the low fuel warning light Came on. Car would only tak 9.2 gallons of gas. After fill up the range to empty read 482 miles. 350 miles later the low fuel light came on again. This time, the car took right at 10gallons. When I get home I will be going to the dealer.
I have a 2021 Hybrid built last October in Kentucky. I’m sure the fuel situation is the same. The issue seems to have been fixed in all 2021’s built after last July. Here is what I have discovered after many fills: When the fuel light goes on, (around 25 miles DTE or so) the vehicle has 4 gallons left, since I could only pump in 10 gallons. When the DTE registers zero, the tank is still holding 3 gallons, since 11 or so is max gas input. I discussed this with the dealer Tech and he agrees with me—the confusion you mention is based on Toyota’s large gas reserve. (Too large, in my opinion.). What I think you should do is run the Rav down to zero DTE and fill, paying attention to how much gas is left in the tank, and thus how many miles you still could have driven. You should get 11 or so gallons into the tank. This means you have 3 gallons left, which means another 100+ miles of driving. (This also means the fuel gauge is on the ‘E’ or past it. I get less than 10 gallons in if I fill before the needle hits the ‘E’.) Therefore, if your DTE registered 482 to zero DTE, this really means 582 until truly empty. I ignore the fuel light when it comes on since 4 gallons and 150 miles are left until truly empty. I drive at least until zero DTE, (needle is on or past the ‘E’), knowing that I should fill up sometime before I drive another 100 miles. The bottom line is that the fuel light goes on way too soon, with a lot of gas and miles still in the tank. Ignor the fuel light and wait for the gauge to hit of go past the ‘E’. You will not risk running out of gas if you find a station within the next 100 miles, and your “true” miles-per-fill will greatly increase. (Keep in mind, too, that the DTE on the display after a fill is just a projection based on recent driving mpg’s. My DTE on the last couple of fills is much higher now that warm weather has arrived and my mpg’s climbed from the mid-30’s to the low 40’s—just because of the warmer weather!). I’m sorry this response is too long and not well-written, but I hope it helps.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Recent builds have not been reporting the fuel fill problem. Wait till the tank is maybe 1/4 full, fill at full speed and allow the auto-shut-off to happen. Then look at the fuel gauge. If it reads full or slightly more you are fine. Watch for a few fill and that should confirm.
My understanding is that if yours was built past last July, you are ok. (My 2021 was built in October.) Understand that the Rav has a large fuel reserve past when the fuel light comes on (about 4 gallons left) and when DTE hits zero (about 3 gallons left). I ignore the light, run it down to at least zero DTE (100+ miles still to go until truly empty), which also means driving at least until the gauge hits the ‘E’. The fuel light comes on way too soon, thus causing a lot of confusion.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Supposedly, cars produced for 2021 had the new manufacturing that eliminated the issue. at First I didn’t. Now at 2300 miles I had the experience discussed above. We’ll have to see what the dealer says.
I have the same build date as you and on my 2000 mile trip I noticed similar concerns like you---However, when I filled up it would go above full and with my average MPG of 34, it seemed not too far off matching the 14 gallons in the tank. Also, DTE kept dropping faster than actual mileage until I got to 81 miles DTE----we drove another 70 miles and it read 54 miles to empty. So I'm not 100% sure if it's a tank problem or trip computer calculation problem.

My question, is the DTE when the gas light comes on or actual "empty"---meaning the full 14.5 gallons? Because my DTE shows 25 miles when the fuel light comes on so obviously I could drive another 70 miles.

Reactions: WhiteSpyder

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have been comparing DTE, computed MPG and trip meter since car new and it appears DTE calculations are based on approx. 12.5 gallons of fuel and previous average MPG. When our low fuel light comes on and DTE disappears car takes a little over 10 gal. to first click. DTE and tripmeter have never agreed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have the same build date as you and on my 2000 mile trip I noticed similar concerns like you---However, when I filled up it would go above full and with my average MPG of 34, it seemed not too far off matching the 14 gallons in the tank. Also, DTE kept dropping faster than actual mileage until I got to 81 miles DTE----we drove another 70 miles and it read 54 miles to empty. So I'm not 100% sure if it's a tank problem or trip computer calculation problem.

My question, is the DTE when the gas light comes on or actual "empty"---meaning the full 14.5 gallons? Because my DTE shows 25 miles when the fuel light comes on so obviously I could drive another 70 miles.
I believe the answer to your question is “no”. I suggest you do what I did to clarify the issue. Drive until the light comes on (yes—usually displaying around 25 DTE) and fill. You should get around 10 gallons into the tank. This means 4 1/2 gallons were still in the tank, which means you could actually have driven another 152 miles or so, based on 38 average mpg. Then, on the next fill, wait until you hit zero DTE and fill. You should get 11 gallons into the tank. Which, of course means 3 gallons remained, or over 100 miles yet to go. In my opinion, and the service tech at the dealer agrees, the light comes on way too soon, with a lot of miles left to drive. So, ignore the fuel light, and know you can wait until zero DTE and until the gauge hits “E” or even beyond, and then just fill-er-up before the next 100 miles or so. Also, the 100 miles past zero DTE is not part of the new DTE that registers after each fill. So, if it reads 450 after a fill, for example, you can actually drive 550 before risking running out of gas. This has been my experience with my 2021.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I believe the answer to your question is “no”. I suggest you do what I did to clarify the issue. Drive until the light comes on (yes—usually displaying around 25 DTE) and fill. You should get around 10 gallons into the tank. This means 4 1/2 gallons were still in the tank, which means you could actually have driven another 152 miles or so, based on 38 average mpg. Then, on the next fill, wait until you hit zero DTE and fill. You should get 11 gallons into the tank. Which, of course means 3 gallons remained, or over 100 miles yet to go. In my opinion, and the service tech at the dealer agrees, the light comes on way too soon, with a lot of miles left to drive. So, ignore the fuel light, and know you can wait until zero DTE and until the gauge hits “E” or even beyond, and then just fill-er-up before the next 100 miles or so. Also, the 100 miles past zero DTE is not part of the new DTE that registers after each fill. So, if it reads 450 after a fill, for example, you can actually drive 550 before risking running out of gas. This has been my experience with my 2021.
Great info and thanks. I remember my Highlander had almost 4 gallons left when the fuel light came on----I'll run until "0 DTE" and refill to see what happens. That will give me a better idea between the two how much I have left in the tank for future trips. If it's 3 gallons that's easily another 100 miles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts