Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now a few members have had their Prime delivered, can anyone chime in if gas fill is till an issue?

·
Registered
2020 Toyota RAV4 Limited Hybrid
130 Posts
I think it'll be a while before we find out... I knew someone who had a Chevy Volt and never had to refill the gas tank until 6 months later when the car's computer decided to burn off the old gas before it gets stale.

·
Registered
302 Posts
There are a few claiming that the recent Hybrid Builds don't have the problem.
But what are the details?

·
Registered
115 Posts
The gas tank is supposed to be in a different place on the Prime, similar to ICE version and unlike the Hybrid version.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime SE
186 Posts
At 20 miles to empty I only added 10.7 gallons. How early does that empty light come on?! Next time I might reserve the battery and see how far I can get.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
At 20 miles to empty I only added 10.7 gallons. How early does that empty light come on?! Next time I might reserve the battery and see how far I can get.
Seems about 2 gallons short if gas tank same 14.5

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
490, yes above full. It said around 500 last time I pumped gas too but I only made it 400 with one battery charge before getting an empty light. Concerning
Sounds about right if you have same gas tank issue

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime SE
186 Posts
Sounds about right if you have same gas tank issue
But if the gas tank is completely different I’m surprised to see this. Since filling I’ve traveled 167 miles and have 250 to empty. Gas is one notch over half. MPG 32.8 (roof box + 85mph...)

If the DTE is accurate then I’m not too worried, since that’s pretty close to a full tank at 32mpg.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
But if the gas tank is completely different I’m surprised to see this. Since filling I’ve traveled 167 miles and have 250 to empty. Gas is one notch over half. MPG 32.8 (roof box + 85mph...)

If the DTE is accurate then I’m not too worried, since that’s pretty close to a full tank at 32mpg.
DTE maybe accurate but if Prime has 14.5 gallon tank you should expect to fill up somewhere 12-13 gallons at 0.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Now a few members have had their Prime delivered, can anyone chime in if gas fill is till an issue?
Nope

Full throttle clicked stop. Added another one half gallon done above full and 12.2 gallons added to tank.

I own both the hybrid 2019 and 2021 Prime and it is a completely different experience.

The Prime will accept a fire hose flow of gasoline

·
Registered
605 Posts
what was DTE after fill up? And where was gauge, above full?
I filled my Prime at 44 DTE light did not come on

Filled wide open stopped at 11.7 gallons. Added another quick click stopped at 12.2 gallons and above full

543 miles DTE after adding 12.2 gallons.

Russ

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime SE
186 Posts
I filled my Prime at 44 DTE light did not come on

Filled wide open stopped at 11.7 gallons. Added another quick click stopped at 12.2 gallons and above full

543 miles DTE after adding 12.2 gallons.

Russ
My light didn’t come on until 30. 11.7 gallons sounds nice...

·
Registered
66 Posts
My First tank is nearing empty. 2 weeks ago, when i took delivery, started with a full tank. After driving 468 Miles on odometer, now it says 19 miles range left on HV. Of those 468, 50 miles or so were full EV (with 1.5 - 2 full EV charges). Driving style has been conservative for most part. Except yesterday I did a 200 mile road trip to Oregon Coast was through windy roads of Tillamook forest with Elevation changes. I was trying to keep it between 65-70 mph. Range estimator showed 200 miles left before the last 100 miles (return trip). but it dropped to 30 after the 100 miles. I am guessing it was thirstier on the return trip so the range dropped.

All said and done, I got 410-430 miles in HV from Full to Empty lights. Is this normal? Which brings me back to the question - of the 14.5 Gallons advertised range, how much is real usable tank size?

Our 2017 Prius prime took only 9.5-10 gallons - when advertised was 11.3 gallons and our 2012 CRV used to take 13.4 gallons only - advertised was 15.5 gallons. Our Tesla has never gave us 310. More like 250 or so real miles. I think all cars falls short of the range the claim or may be its my driving.

Last question - why would they advertise/claim what cannot be used/attained (used without inducing anxiety attacks :))?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts