Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Read your mileage may vary disclaimer. Never had a car that actually gets whats claimed . Well maybe close to it on a flat straight highway without traffic.
The EPA tests are really biased to the manufacturer not the consumer, I think I was reading the electric car test was 48 mph for the long range rating.
Now with the electrics either hybrid or fully electric the outside temp really effects the battery.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime SE
191 Posts
Got another 10.5 gallon fill at “empty”. Getting used to it and it’s been fine.
After filling I drove 180 miles on pure HV mode and got 39.9mpg! About 30% at 60mph and the rest at 75-80.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Read your mileage may vary disclaimer. Never had a car that actually gets whats claimed . Well maybe close to it on a flat straight highway without traffic.
The EPA tests are really biased to the manufacturer not the consumer, I think I was reading the electric car test was 48 mph for the long range rating.
Now with the electrics either hybrid or fully electric the outside temp really effects the battery.

Got to throw in 2 bits here.
I am at both ends of this "debate". A 2014 Volkswagen Touareg rated at 17/23 but had to stay at 65 and put an egg under your foot to get there. Ended with a $700 check from a class action lawsuit (not diesel related) over the overstated MPG claim.
Traded for a 2019 Jetta rated at 30/40 BUT drive any way you want and I have been getting 35/45! Maybe due to the prior experience.
Hate to see that jetta go but too small and missing the hatch and luxury.
Hope I miss the DTE, tank and dead battery bullets.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Got another 10.5 gallon fill at “empty”. Getting used to it and it’s been fine.
After filling I drove 180 miles on pure HV mode and got 39.9mpg! About 30% at 60mph and the rest at 75-80.
With 4 miles left on HV Range/DTE, I filled my first full tank at Costco. Pump read 10.82 gallons. Now HV range is showing 544 miles. I got about 39.9 mpg on first tank (Without EV) which is in line with EPA. But my Real HV range from Full to Empty was 10.9 x 39.5 = 430 miles. If you add EV miles of 42, then you get around 472 miles. Not 600. Their mpg claims are valid. But their gas tank/ range claims are clearly overstated. So, Prime has the same gas tank issue as hybrid. Real range is 472. Not 600.

Just filed a NHTSA complaint on this as it can easily create grave safety issues by stranding customers roadside with an empty tank/ when they were really promised 600 miles. DTE currently shows 544 miles. No way on earth it’s going to go 544. It’s going to stop at 430 or so.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
With 4 miles left on HV Range/DTE, I filled my first full tank at Costco. Pump read 10.82 gallons. Now HV range is showing 544 miles. I got about 39.9 mpg on first tank (Without EV) which is in line with EPA. But my Real HV range from Full to Empty was 10.9 x 39.5 = 430 miles. If you add EV miles of 42, then you get around 472 miles. Not 600. Their mpg claims are valid. But their gas tank/ range claims are clearly overstated. So, Prime has the same gas tank issue as hybrid. Real range is 472. Not 600.

Just filed a NHTSA complaint on this as it can easily create grave safety issues by stranding customers roadside with an empty tank/ when they were really promised 600 miles. DTE currently shows 544 miles. No way on earth it’s going to go 544. It’s going to stop at 430 or so.
You might want to fill out your complaint here too Have you had trouble filling your hybrid gas tank?

Most favorite solution is to do a buyback, aside from that just promises from Toyota to fix it

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
It‘s really starting to seem like it’s different than the Hybrid issue and just an early empty notice though.
Frankly filling up almost 11 gallons at empty would have been fine. I was getting 9 gallons at empty

Reactions: Karthik1107

·
Registered
171 Posts

First tank filling after buying the car? The low range seems utterly meaningless. The dealer probably filled the car to just touch "F" on the fuel gauge. I'd put a few tanks in before concluding that the car is defective. Did you notice what the range said when you bought the car?

A grave safety issue? I'm not sure if I have any sympathy for folks who keep driving when their gas gauge says "E", and then run out of gas, simply because the car is supposed to go 600 miles, and they are only at 400.

·
Registered
69 Posts
First tank filling after buying the car? The low range seems utterly meaningless. The dealer probably filled the car to just touch "F" on the fuel gauge. I'd put a few tanks in before concluding that the car is defective. Did you notice what the range said when you bought the car?

A grave safety issue? I'm not sure if I have any sympathy for folks who keep driving when their gas gauge says "E", and then run out of gas, simply because the car is supposed to go 600 miles, and they are only at 400.
You don’t have enough grey matter to grasp the issue. And as such should refrain from this subject.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime max trim
172 Posts
This is from BuyaToyota.com as an asterisk comment to “600mi EPA estimated total driving range.”;

“EPA-estimated total driving range for 2021 RAV4 Prime, calculated by multiplying combined mpg estimate by 100% of total tank capacity. Use for comparison purposes only. Your range will vary for many reasons, including amount of gas retained in your vehicle's fuel reserve, refueling practices, vehicle conditions and how/where you drive.“

I particularly like the “Use for comparison purposes only.” statement.

·
Registered
69 Posts
This is from BuyaToyota.com as an asterisk comment to “600mi EPA estimated total driving range.

“EPA-estimated total driving range for 2021 RAV4 Prime, calculated by multiplying combined mpg estimate by 100% of total tank capacity. Use for comparison purposes only. Your range will vary for many reasons, including amount of gas retained in your vehicle's fuel reserve, refueling practices, vehicle conditions and how/where you drive.“

I particularly like the “Use for comparison purposes only.” statement.
You are missing the point. This is not an MPG discussion. It’s a discussion of Gas tank capacity/Fuel gauge accuracy. Gauge falls from F to E only after using 10 gallons. (Instead of 13-14 gallons).

·
Registered
171 Posts
Seriously? You filled your tank once and, based on that one data point, you can conclude all that stuff? Tell us how many gallons you put in the car the next time you fill it. Then you will have some real data.

Also odd, the emails I'm getting from this thread don't match what I see when I log on. Like someone is editing the posts after the fact.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime, SE / 2018 Outlander PHEV
98 Posts
OK, fun story, that’s sort of on topic.

While driving my Rav4 Prime SE home from Maryland over the weekend, I did 1019 miles on the second day. Late that day I didn’t watch the fuel closely enough (I usually refilled when it got down to ¼ tank) and found myself on I-80, west of Lincoln, Nebraska (and west bound) with the range estimate showing just over 40 miles, even though the gauge was just under ¼.

I nervously started to look for a freeway exit with a gas station. The night was dark, an orange harvest moon providing little light as it rose low behind me. Exit after exit passed with no lights, no signs indicating service. My range clicked down into the 30’s. Then Exit 369 promised Food and Fuel at Beaver Crossing, NE!

I exited. I followed the signs. I drove on along a road flanked by tall corn, with only my headlights for illumination. I missed the turn. I doubled back and entered the less-than-one-stoplight town of Beaver Crossing.

Some neat old buildings, and a couple street lights. Speed limit was 20MPH. There wasn’t another car to be seen (and hadn’t been one since I left the freeway) but there, just across the street from the post office was Potter Repair, with a single gas pump and an “Open” neon sign blinking fitfully in the window. (Not making this up.) No lights on inside, but I pulled up to the pump, swiped the visa, and pumped 11 gallons of fuel, with the only sound being the Nebraska wind clanging the flag clasps against the flag pole across the street at the post office.

No people, no traffic.

Grateful for the fuel I snapped a couple photos and beat a hasty retreat back to the interstate.

·
Registered
69 Posts
OK, fun story, that’s sort of on topic.

While driving my Rav4 Prime SE home from Maryland over the weekend, I did 1019 miles on the second day. Late that day I didn’t watch the fuel closely enough (I usually refilled when it got down to ¼ tank) and found myself on I-80, west of Lincoln, Nebraska (and west bound) with the range estimate showing just over 40 miles, even though the gauge was just under ¼.

I nervously started to look for a freeway exit with a gas station. The night was dark, an orange harvest moon providing little light as it rose low behind me. Exit after exit passed with no lights, no signs indicating service. My range clicked down into the 30’s. Then Exit 369 promised Food and Fuel at Beaver Crossing, NE!

I exited. I followed the signs. I drove on along a road flanked by tall corn, with only my headlights for illumination. I missed the turn. I doubled back and entered the less-than-one-stoplight town of Beaver Crossing.

Some neat old buildings, and a couple street lights. Speed limit was 20MPH. There wasn’t another car to be seen (and hadn’t been one since I left the freeway) but there, just across the street from the post office was Potter Repair, with a single gas pump and an “Open” neon sign blinking fitfully in the window. (Not making this up.) No lights on inside, but I pulled up to the pump, swiped the visa, and pumped 11 gallons of fuel, with the only sound being the Nebraska wind clanging the flag clasps against the flag pole across the street at the post office.

No people, no traffic.

Grateful for the fuel I snapped a couple photos and beat a hasty retreat back to the interstate.
View attachment 156533

View attachment 156534
Thanks for sharing your adventures. It was a fun read. Did you have a fuel/miles log of some kind during this trip? I am noticing fuel gauge is not working right. F to E it’s about 10.85 gallons. Other 3.8 is unusable reserve we are just lugging around. (I mean we can use it at our own peril).

·
Registered
27 Posts
In theory you should be able to test easily how far beyond empty you can go in a Prime. If you charge the battery but keep it in HV mode you can see if you can squeeze an extra 100 miles or so after DTE reaches 0. Then you can make it to the nearest gas station on EV mode.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't think you can draw the conclusion it has the same gas tank issue as the other RAVs based on one tank fill up. I've been driving on gas since I got mine until I hit the 600 mile break in point. I'll report here once I finally put some gas in. I've seen reports of people getting 12+ gallons in when they fill up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My theory is... running out of gase is a BIG deal. It confuses the computer so they keep some in reserve "hidden" from you so that you have more gas than it tells you trying to incentive you to not run out of gas.

This is a video of 2 guys that purposfully run a RAV4 hybrid 100% out of gas and what it takes to restart it (spoiler alert it is more than just add fuel)

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime, SE / 2018 Outlander PHEV
98 Posts
Thanks for sharing your adventures. It was a fun read. Did you have a fuel/miles log of some kind during this trip? I am noticing fuel gauge is not working right. F to E it’s about 10.85 gallons. Other 3.8 is unusable reserve we are just lugging around. (I mean we can use it at our own peril).
So I started out thinking I would keep track of mileage at each fill up, but that quickly went by the wayside. I did save receipts if the pump would spit one out. Here's a sampling... most of these fill ups were done when the gauge was showing about 1/4 full:

8.2 Gallons
10.4 Gallons
9.5 Gallons
8.6 Gallons
11.5 Gallons

21 - 40 of 63 Posts