Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime max trim
172 Posts
Remember to bring more gas than the guys in the video because section 2-1 in the owner’s manual says;
“Running out of fuel
When the vehicle has run out of fuel and the hybrid system cannot be started, refuel the vehicle with at least enough gasoline to make the low fuel level warning light (P.518) go off. If there is only a small amount of fuel, the hybrid system may not be able to start. (The stan- dard amount of fuel is about 2.3 gal. [8.8 L, 1.9 Imp.gal.], when the vehi- cle is on a level surface. This value may vary when the vehicle is on a slope. Add extra fuel when the vehi- cle is inclined.)”

I wish I knew how many miles they drove on 14.6gallons of gas. Note; that gas tank capacity is 14.5 gallons, not 14 as stated in video.

·
Registered
30 Posts
This guy tried to run his Prime until the tank was empty. He had a full EV charge with extra gas canisters in the trunk just in case.

TLDW: Low fuel light turned on. He drove an additional 80 miles, 9 on EV, and still didn't drain the tank after driving 3 hours, then called it quits. He refueled with 13.4 gallons.

One criticism of his test is he drove mostly on country roads. Highway speeds would've used more gas to get to empty.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime, SE / 2018 Outlander PHEV
98 Posts
11.5! Wow. I’ve been consistently getting 10.5 once the empty light turns on. For the most part this is fine.
Yeah, I think 11.5 was the Beaver Crossing adventure, but even then, the empty light had not turned on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It sounds like you understand what is going on. The car is working normally and as advertised. It has a 14.5 gallon tank and the fuel warning light will come on when you have about 2.2 gallons left in the tank (according to manual). The issue you seem to have is with the DTE calculation. It appears to be somehow both based on the full capability at fueling and holding the 2.2 gallon reserve when it gets close to 0.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It sounds like you understand what is going on. The car is working normally and as advertised. It has a 14.5 gallon tank and the fuel warning light will come on when you have about 2.2 gallons left in the tank (according to manual). The issue you seem to have is with the DTE calculation. It appears to be somehow both based on the full capability at fueling and holding the 2.2 gallon reserve when it gets close to 0.
Not 2.2. There is 4 gallons left. Do you see the problem now?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Is your low fuel light coming on? Or is just that the range is down to zero when there are 4 gallons left. That does seem fairly inaccurate. In my other toyotas, the trip range get recalculated based on my driving. This is especially noticable with the electric range on my prius prime. If I use my battery on the highway, the range after charging is about 25 miles. But if I only drive around town, it eventually shows about 34 miles of range. It takes few trips to do this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've had my SE a bit over 3 weeks and put in gas for the first time yesterday. The low fuel light came on and it showed I had about 20 miles left when I stopped for gas.

I stopped filling once it clicked off on it's own and it only took 9.7 gallons. My estimated HV miles showed 556 after my fill-up. Crazy that the light came on with nearly 5 gallons remaining in the tank.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've had my SE a bit over 3 weeks and put in gas for the first time yesterday. The low fuel light came on and it showed I had about 20 miles left when I stopped for gas.

I stopped filling once it clicked off on it's own and it only took 9.7 gallons. My estimated HV miles showed 556 after my fill-up. Crazy that the light came on with nearly 5 gallons remaining in the tank.
I just filled up my SE on Sunday. Low fuel light was on and I had the projected HV range down to 12 miles. Only took 10.75 Gallons... The Rav4 low fuel light seems a little paranoid.

·
Registered
616 Posts
This post is not going to produce the 1/2 million views the hybrid site has netted to date. (Ridiculous)

This is a non-starter discussion.

The Prime gasoline tank and Hybrid tank is apples to oranges in design.

Trust me I filled from near empty (low fuel light not on) wide open on the nozzle clicked stop, hit it again for another 1/2 gallon and she was full with more than 12 gallons added.

End of discussion.

·
Registered
193 Posts
So it seems that the fuel gauge on the instrument panel is off in the RAV4 Prime -- that it's not calibrated properly. It is widely stated by mechanics that nobody should let their ICE cars get below about 1/4 tank of gas before filling up, to protect your fuel pump and fuel filter. I try to follow that in all my cars. When we get our SE Prime, it'll be a pain to figure out where the 1/4-full point is on the gas gauge, it sounds like...

·
Registered
98 Posts
So it seems that the fuel gauge on the instrument panel is off in the RAV4 Prime -- that it's not calibrated properly. It is widely stated by mechanics that nobody should let their ICE cars get below about 1/4 tank of gas before filling up, to protect your fuel pump and fuel filter. I try to follow that in all my cars. When we get our SE Prime, it'll be a pain to figure out where the 1/4-full point is on the gas gauge, it sounds like...
Actually, you may have hit on the reason Toyota set up the fuel gauge to read empty when there is still 3+ gallons of fuel in the car... fuel pump cooling. I suspect we have an in-tank fuel pump and they tend to live longer if they stay submerged. So maybe, while you technically have 14+ gallons of tank capacity, Toyota engineers would prefer you save the last few gallons for fuel pump protection and programmed the low fuel light accordingly.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I wonder if it also has to do with the shape of the fuel tank, which is pretty flat. I had a old volvo with a very flat tank, and when it was low, if I cornered to fast, the car would stumble or stall. It was ok as long as I paid attention. And I'd agree that the cooling might be part of it as well.

·
Registered
70 Posts

For my RAV4 prime XSE, I was able to get in 10.85 gallons. Clearly there is 3.65 gallon short fall instead of the claimed 2.2 Gallons reserve. Toyota should offer recall and recalibrate the DTE gauge that OVERSTATES 100 to 120 Miles - from what you can ACTUALLY drive. Withdraw and re-state marketing and epa claims to 450+ mile range instead of 600+ mile range.

·
Registered
70 Posts
if you can’t under promise and over deliver, at least try to match what you claimed. over promise and under delivering is just pathetic. If you are designing a system with safety buffers then leave that buffer out of marketing material. Lying to consumers about a system buffer/reserve that they can never use safely is deceit/ misrepresentation by a large corporation.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts