Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
As has been alluded to before, Distance To Empty is total BS. I have a Subaru Outback, and regularly do a 90 mile trip uphill, and then downhill. Downhill, the DTE has shown as much as 400 miles even though the trip meter has 350 miles on it. 600 miles on a tank would be a miracle on this car. If I went the other direction, it would say I only have 100miles left.

Point is, the ONLY way to figure out what the tank capacity is to run it dry. Everything else is just BS. get used to your real MPG, and figure out how far you can do. Programmers for this stuff have it wrong.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime SE
191 Posts
Out of curiosity I checked on my other cars on fueleconomy.gov. Both of them have a DTE around 80-85% of the total distance shown on that site. The prime gets a lot of attention because of the 600 mile claim, but other cars are similarly rated since you’ll never completely drain your tank (as it could damage the vehicle).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Out of curiosity I checked on my other cars on fueleconomy.gov. Both of them have a DTE around 80-85% of the total distance shown on that site. The prime gets a lot of attention because of the 600 mile claim, but other cars are similarly rated since you’ll never completely drain your tank (as it could damage the vehicle).
Only filling up 11.5gal makes sense then (80% of 14.5 gal tank). My last vehicle had 20.5gal tank, so I was routinely filling ~16.5gal (80% of 20.5gal) and that felt completely normal.
You just can't trust the DTE calculation and need to trust the fuel gage and low fuel light instead.

61 - 63 of 63 Posts