Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my mother gets her new R4P SE later this month it'll mean that a full set of snow tires for her Honda Odyssey will either go away with that car... or... maybe they can work on the R4P?

The specs as far as I can confirm:

2011 Ody Blizzaks:
235/65-17 = 29x9.3R17

2021 R4P SE tires:
225/60-18 = 28.6x8.9R18

So if we have the Blizzaks mounted on some 17" steelies we'd be looking at 0.4" over size diameter and 0.4" oversize width. Would that be too much?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I don't believe the diameter or width would cause you any problems but 10 years is a long time. Is there still plenty of tread left? Blizzaks wear quickly and only the outer half or so of tread depth is made up of the special rubber that softens in cold weather. Once you get past that tread they don't have very good winter traction and you may also have trouble getting service centers to work with tires that old. Are the tires on extra wheels? If so, you might want to check the offset. If the offset and width matches close enough a cheap set of hub centric rings will fill the hub gap and they may well work for winter wheels on the R4P. I am pretty sure the bolt pattern matches and one nice thing about Toyotas is the hub is about as small as it gets so other brand wheels with the same hole pattern can work great with a set of hub centric rings. I am pretty sure most 17" wheels will clear the brake calipers.

Edit: I did NOT check the tire specs you quoted but there are very good calculator sites out there for that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback! The Blizzaks aren't 10 years old, they only have a few 3 month winters on them. Currently they aren't mounted so I was thinking of getting 17" steelies or other inexpensive wheels to put them on. Then it'll be an easy driveway swap. In the Pictures of your Aftermarket Wheels- thread I see plenty of people using 17" or even 16" wheels so I agree, caliper clearance should be OK. I'd be sure to check offset with the tire shop before deciding on wheels.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sorry - The 2011 refers to the Ody year - not the tires (I wasn't thinking straight). The wheel idea still works depending upon what you prefer. I was shocked that "steelies" were so expensive when I needed a set of winter wheels for my 2013 RAV4 and 2016 CR-V (they used to be dirt cheap) so I found one set at a used parts yard and another on craigslist (both happened to be alloy). I think I paid $60 for one set and $40 for the other. One set was Toyota and matched up perfect and the other was Audi of Infinity or something so I added a set of hub centric rings and polished the brand off the center cap which worked out well. I would be a bit wary of going to a 16" wheel on the Prime - The clearance is tight and all it takes is a bit of ice to cause you problems. TPMS sensors can be had online for a lot less than the dealer prices too if that is important to you. Good luck and I bet she will enjoy the R4P.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Limited Hybrid
2 Posts
I put 235/65/17 Wildpeak A/T3W tires on my 2021 Limited Hybrid and have zero issues. I think I read the Prime's calipers are a little larger so might want to make sure your steelies will fit over them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts