Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 RAV4 LE without the blindspot monitoring system and I was wondering if anyone knows if the glass is swappable from a 2018 4th gen RAV4 with the blindspot convex mirror already in the glass.
Is this possible and has anyone done this?

·
Registered
12 Posts
It is possible to get this done. However, it is not just change the mirror glass. There is also a control box on each rear side . You will need to remove the rear bumper and run a cable from the front to the end. And you will also need to remove the interior panels for both front doors.
You can find aftermarket parts for this job.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is possible to get this done. However, it is not just change the mirror glass. There is also a control box on each rear side . You will need to remove the rear bumper and run a cable from the front to the end. And you will also need to remove the interior panels for both front doors.
You can find aftermarket parts for this job.
I think you misunderstood but thanks for the reply. I’m not talking about adding the actual blindspot monitor system that lights up when a car is in the blindspot. I’m talking about the mirror glass from the previous generation RAV4 that has the blind spot mirror in the upper outer corner built in. I am attaching a picture of the previous generation mirror. It looks like the glass portion may be a simple swap as the shape and size of the glass looks the same but I just wanted to know if anyone knows for sure if this would work.

Attachments

·
Registered
🇨🇦 2020 RAV4 XLE Hybrid - Super White
1,321 Posts
You could always try and see if it fits if you can find the correct part number. Not directly an answer to your question, but I know it's possible to replace just the glass with some OEM tinted blue glass to help keep the glare down @ night. LInks and tutorial down below.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

OEM blue glass comes in 2 flavours:
with BSM 
part# 08169-42020

without BSM 
part# 08169-42010

NOTE that if you have heated side mirrors that you will have to transplant the heating element from the non-tinted mirrors to new tinted mirrors, tutorial w/ pics linked below.

Install on a RAV4 w/ BSM + heated mirrors (use google translate as site is in Japanese):

Install on different toyota vehicle, but it has same side mirrors w/ BSM as the RAV4 (use google translate as site is in Japanese):

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could always try and see if it fits if you can find the correct part number. Not directly an answer to your question, but I know it's possible to replace just the glass with some OEM tinted blue glass to help keep the glare down @ night. LInks and tutorial down below.

BEFORE:
View attachment 162718
AFTER:
View attachment 162719

with BSM 
part# 08169-42020

without BSM 
part# 08169-42010

NOTE that if you have heated side mirrors that you will have to transplant the heating element from the non-tinted mirrors to new tinted mirrors, tutorial w/ pics linked below.

Install on a RAV4 w/ BSM + heated mirrors (use google translate as site is in Japanese):

Install on different toyota vehicle, but it has same side mirrors w/ BSM as the RAV4 (use google translate as site is in Japanese):
Thanks for you response. I actually ordered the mirror with the blindspot in the upper corners. Got one on off eBay brand new OEM for $30 to try first on the drivers side. If it works out good if not well at least it is only $30

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

BEFORE:
View attachment 162718
AFTER:
View attachment 162719

with BSM 
part# 08169-42020

without BSM 
part# 08169-42010

Well I got my mirror glass and it was the same size but had to do a minor modification by cutting one of those plastic round circles off the back of the mirror glass in order to get the motor assembly to snap in place but other than that the glass is secure and is indeed the same size. So far I only done the drivers door but I’m heading to the dealer in a bit to pick up the passenger side glass.

·
Registered
253 Posts
@paulday I see you liked this post and just wanted to show you how the glass looked on my
2021 RAV4 LE
Looks good. Can't stand those stick-on blind spot mirrors.

I just recently got a pair of these type of mirrors for my '17.5 Murano, offered on the Nissan Rogue model, but not the Murano, go figure.

I'm going to check and see if I can get these for my wife's '13 Rav4.

I just started another little project on my Murano. Brushed aluminum trim to Burl wood.

Before:

After:

A bit of work, but I'm loving the look.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks good. Can't stand those stick-on blind spot mirrors.

I just recently got a pair of these type of mirrors for my '17.5 Murano, offered on the Nissan Rogue model, but not the Murano, go figure.

I'm going to check and see if I can get these for my wife's '13 Rav4.

I just started another little project on my Murano. Brushed aluminum trim to Burl wood.

Before:
View attachment 162761
After:
View attachment 162762

A bit of work, but I'm loving the look.

Have a good day.
Nice. For your wife’s 2013 RAV4 I believe the mirror glass I got will work perfectly without modification. The only reason I had to modify them was because they wouldn’t snap onto the motor housing because it was actually meant for thgeneration of RAV4. I can provide you with part numbers I used. I have non heated mirrors but my passenger side is actually heated just didn’t connect that since I have no heat option.

Part numbers are
87931-0R210 (heated right side mirror for 2016-2018 RAV4 but I believe the generation is the same as 2013 not 100% sure though)

87961-42D10 (non heated left side mirror) if you have heated I believe the part number is 87961-42D20

Since mine was a 2021 the glass was the same size but 2 of the black plastic circles on the back housing of the glass needed to be cut off. I used my angle grinder to cut them off but a Dremel tool could be used also if anyone is interested to do this mod on 5th gen 2019+ RAV4 LE in case you didn’t get the blind spot monitor package.

here are some pictures of the passenger side completed

·
Registered
253 Posts
Part numbers are
87931-0R210 (heated right side mirror for 2016-2018 RAV4 but I believe the generation is the same as 2013 not 100% sure though)

87961-42D10 (non heated left side mirror) if you have heated I believe the part number is 87961-42D20
Thanks for the info. Her Rav4 doesn't have the heated mirrors.

If you look closely at the second photo, you can see the passenger's side mirror with the built-in blind spot.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice. For your wife’s 2013 RAV4 I believe the mirror glass I got will work perfectly without modification. The only reason I had to modify them was because they wouldn’t snap onto the motor housing because it was actually meant for thgeneration of RAV4. I can provide you with part numbers I used. I have non heated mirrors but my passenger side is actually heated just didn’t connect that since I have no heat option.

Part numbers are

Since mine was a 2021 the glass was the same size but 2 of the black plastic circles on the back housing of the glass needed to be cut off. I used my angle grinder to cut them off but a Dremel tool could be used also if anyone is interested to do this mod on 5th gen 2019+ RAV4 LE in case you didn’t get the blind spot monitor package.

here are some pictures of the passenger side completed

View attachment 162774
View attachment 162775
@hotracer_05 just in case you’re interested in this mod

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey I am interested in something similar. I much prefer the blind spot mirrors as opposed to the sensor or the stick on mirrors.
I have a 2017 xle, do you think the model numbers will be the same? Maybe I could use the 2018 you used?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey I am interested in something similar. I much prefer the blind spot mirrors as opposed to the sensor or the stick on mirrors.
I have a 2017 xle, do you think the model numbers will be the same? Maybe I could use the 2018 you used?
Does your 2017 XLE have the light in the mirror to alert you if a car is in your blind spot?

If not, then for sure these part numbers would work but for the drivers side you may need the heated mirror since you have an xle which the part number for the drivers side would be 87961-42D20 but the passenger side would be as I listed in a prior post on this thread.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If it makes things simpler here a link I found for both left and right side on eBay. Note that it says 4Runner but they’re the same mirrors as 4Runner owners have been doing this mod for a while.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does your 2017 XLE have the light in the mirror to alert you if a car is in your blind spot?

If not, then for sure these part numbers would work but for the drivers side you may need the heated mirror since you have an xle which the part number for the drivers side would be 87961-42D20 but the passenger side would be as I listed in a prior post on this thread.
The 2017 XLE does have the light indicators on the mirror, so I'm assuming that would make it harder?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's fine by me. Do you think it would be an easy swap, like yours?
It should be easier for you than it was for me as the mirror glass is actually made for your car. For my car I had to cut off two of the mounting circles that align into the motor housing to get it to snap in place. On your vehicle it’s as simple as remove old glass and snap on new one to the mirror and hook up the heated mirror wires. It’s about a 5 minute job for you.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's fine by me. Do you think it would be an easy swap, like yours?
Here’s a link of how I removed my mirror glass. For your car just pop off the mirror cover first and disconnect the heating wires if yours has it and swap the glass and simple as that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts