Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

2021 RAV4 Plug-in Hybrid

17K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  ocean77 
#1 ·

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#21 ·
The 2021 Toyota RAV4 Plug-In Hybrid is as good as it gets. For under $35K, it is one of the cheapest in its class. It's Electrically assisted 2.5L NA motor churns out a combined 219 hp and 163 lb-ft makes this Toyota the most powerful as well. The closest contender to it is the 198 hp 2021 Ford Escape Hybrid that still lags behind as an overall package. Even more impressive is its combined 40 MPGe despite being the quickest sprinter of its class with a 0-60 mph time of 7.3 seconds.

#4 ·
As a "THRILLED" 2016 RAV4 Hybrid Limited owner and disenchanted follower of the (two) threads of "gas filling problem 2019 / possibly 2020", I am now an enthusiastic follower of this thread. Looking forward to the "reveal" at the LA Show on 11/20...!

#7 ·
Just purchased an XLE Premium gasser. I take comfort knowing I most likely can’t afford this PHEV. Maybe when this one is paid off I’ll upgrade the ‘13 CX-5 Sport to whatever is the latest and greatest at that time.

I want to own the CX-5 for at least 10 years. With 7 years and 73k miles of trouble free ownership under our belt, I think that’s a reasonable timeline lol! Our newly acquired RAV4 should be just broken in by that time.

#9 ·
And no loss of cargo space!

Powering the RAV4 Prime is the same 2.5-liter Atkinson-cycle four-cylinder engine found in the RAV4 Hybrid, in both cases making 176 hp (131 kW). However, the Prime uses a new high-capacity lithium-ion battery pack and booster converter, resulting in the 83 hp (62 kW) jump over the hybrid model. And if you’re wondering whether or not the bigger battery pack impedes on cargo space, Toyota says it’s mounted beneath the floor, resulting in no lost cargo space and a lower center of gravity. The RAV4 still has 37.6 cubic feet of room in the trunk.

#11 ·
Why is it a shame? If you find yourself in a situation that you aren't able to plugin the car it operates like a normal hybrid (and recharges via regenerative breaking and the gas engine). That 300+ Hp and +300 instant torque will be available regardless if you plugin the car. This makes the V6 Rav4s pretty obsolete.

#13 ·
This makes the V6 Rav4s pretty obsolete.
Then that makes me the very proud owner of an obsolete car.....actually two.

If it can do all that recharging by itself then why plug it in? Let's just say it wouldn't work for me but I am thrilled that they are putting some performance back into the tepid performing four banger.

#14 ·
Then that makes me the very proud owner of an obsolete car.....actually two.

If it can do all that recharging by itself then why plug it in? Let's just say it wouldn't work for me but I am thrilled that they are putting some performance back into the tepid performing four banger.
To not go to the gas station as often. This vehicle has a 39 MPG range of electric alone. Performance wise in comparison to the rest of Toyota’s cars, it is only second to the Supra. I did not expect Toyota to come out swinging with numbers like this. This is a massive increase.

#15 ·
A PHEV like the RAV4 Prime is eligible for Federal and State (if available) tax credits. Assuming the battery is 16 kWh or greater, the RAV4 Prime would be eligible for a $7,500 federal and (in Colorado, where I live) $5,500 in state tax credits. A 39 mile (all electric) range would allow me to run on electric power over 50% of the time.

#19 ·
The best coal plants are about 40% efficient. Toyota bested that with 45% percent efficiency with gas engines. Propane /natural gas plants are about 60% efficient. Call nuclear whatever efficiency you’d like (ignoring the waste lol). Coal is going out, liquid petroleum plants are moving in. Plugging in your car and charging it from the grid is best and cheapest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.