Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I recently signed up to lease a 2022 RAV4 LE AWD with plans to add a roof rack down the road (for camping and water sports). Dealership said it shouldn't be a problem adding it later. I'm looking online to see about purchasing one and can't find a rack that's compatible with the bare roof of the LE model (only flush rail or raised rail options). Has anyone else had this issue?
Is it worth contacting the dealership to see about upgrading to the XLE model so that I can get the roof rack?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Premium Hybrid
537 Posts
Hey all. I recently signed up to lease a 2022 RAV4 LE AWD with plans to add a roof rack down the road (for camping and water sports). Dealership said it shouldn't be a problem adding it later. I'm looking online to see about purchasing one and can't find a rack that's compatible with the bare roof of the LE model (only flush rail or raised rail options). Has anyone else had this issue?
Is it worth contacting the dealership to see about upgrading to the XLE model so that I can get the roof rack?
Thanks in advance!
The 2022 sales brochure that was released just a few days ago (https://www.toyota.com/content/dam/toyota/brochures/pdf/2022/rav4_ebrochure.pdf) says the low profile roof rails are standard on the LE. So all you need do is add the cross bars to fit a roof rack.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks in advance!
I just checked the Toyota Canada website and 2022 LE models do NOT include the roof rails. 2019 to 2021 models included the roof rails.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey.

Im very interested in this topic.

I have a Aus spec GX Hybrid AWD on order and it has the bare roof, no rails. I knew this before ordering and considered the GLX with rails, but the price premium vs spec upgrade didn’t make sense for my usage and needs.

So my specific question is - On the higher end models what do the roof rails mount to??? Surely these mounts/bolt holes are present on every model, and usable for other rack options?

Has anyone taken a close look at the roof on the ‘rail-less’ Rav?

Cheers, Grant.

·
Registered
2021 Rav 4 XLE gas engine
1,080 Posts
Hey.

I have a Aus spec GX Hybrid AWD on order and it has the bare roof, no rails. I knew this before ordering and considered the GLX with rails, but the price premium vs spec upgrade didn’t make sense for my usage and needs.

So my specific question is - On the higher end models what do the roof rails mount to??? Surely these mounts/bolt holes are present on every model, and usable for other rack options?

Cheers, Grant.
Take a look at the many lengthy threads in this forum on the subject "roof rail leaks". There are detailed discussions and photos of the mounting system, the holes drilled through the roof etc. Use the search function and advanced search for 5th generation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Take a look at the many lengthy threads in this forum on the subject "roof rail leaks". There are detailed discussions and photos of the mounting system, the holes drilled through the roof etc. Use the search function and advanced search for 5th generation.
Hey, I’ve ready many, if not all of those threads and none of them answered my specific question.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Grant.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey.

Cheers, Grant.
Grant,

I just purchased a 2022 LE AWD (american version) with the bare roof and assumed there MUST be attach points from the factory to add rails to. Much to my dismay, there is NOTHING to attach a roof rack system to. I even peeled back the rubber strips on the sides of the roof to see if there is any kind of bolt hole or raised clip underneath them, but there is nothing but smooth metal. I'm not sure what other roof systems may become available but I have checked Yakima and Thule and so far there are no roof rack options on the market for a 2022 Rav4 with a bare roof.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm in the same boat,
-Nick

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Grant,

I just purchased a 2022 LE AWD (american version) with the bare roof and assumed there MUST be attach points from the factory to add rails to. Much to my dismay, there is NOTHING to attach a roof rack system to. I even peeled back the rubber strips on the sides of the roof to see if there is any kind of bolt hole or raised clip underneath them, but there is nothing but smooth metal. I'm not sure what other roof systems may become available but I have checked Yakima and Thule and so far there are no roof rack options on the market for a 2022 Rav4 with a bare roof.

-Nick
That's what I was expecting. At least you don't have to worry about the roof leaks that others have reported.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm happy to be avoiding the roofing leak, but i'd be surprised if it is actually as wide spread as the forum warriors suggest, but still happy to not deal with it.

We have a number of rack options here in Australia, but it just means they have the clamp running past the door seal... which i despise... but oh well...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Grant,

-Nick
What a bummer!

I do appreciate the info though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm happy to be avoiding the roofing leak, but i'd be surprised if it is actually as wide spread as the forum warriors suggest, but still happy to not deal with it.

We have a number of rack options here in Australia, but it just means they have the clamp running past the door seal... which i despise... but oh well...
That's the kind of racks I have on all my small cars. Not the sexiest look, but at least it gives you a rack. May I ask what companies are offering a roof rack system for your Rav with the naked roof? I have been searching and have come up dry, at least in the American market. Just curious what manufactures are out there. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's the kind of racks I have on all my small cars. Not the sexiest look, but at least it gives you a rack. May I ask what companies are offering a roof rack system for your Rav with the naked roof? I have been searching and have come up dry, at least in the American market. Just curious what manufactures are out there. Thanks.
The two that I’m considering are -

Thule Wingbar EVO
Yakima XA50

In Australia the model without roof rails is the GX. So if you want to do some further searching use that in your search engine of choice :)

Cheers, Grant.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Removing all the roof rails from the LE models was a cynical d%$k move on Toyota's part. I don't want a bunch of fancy widgets and power accessories, but Toyota wants me to spend thousands more just to get a roof rack I get by default on any Subaru base model.

How is it a sport utility vehicle if you suck the utility out of it?

I guess Toyota has studied cable TV packages and subscription models, and wants to employ both. Toyota should ask itself how well Cable TV is doing lately. That's the future when you keep offering less for more and trying to railroad your customers while you are at it.

Reconsidering Forester and CX-5 now.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Removing all the roof rails from the LE models was a cynical d%$k move on Toyota's part. I don't want a bunch of fancy widgets and power accessories, but Toyota wants me to spend thousands more just to get a roof rack I get by default on any Subaru base model.

I guess Toyota has studied cable TV packages and subscription models, and wants to employ both. Toyota should ask itself how well Cable TV is doing lately. That's the future when you keep offering less for more and trying to railroad your customers while you are at it.

Reconsidering Forester and CX-5 now.
I don't totally disagree with you but I'm guessing that most of us will never use our roof racks. I think I used my roof rack once or twice in the 12 years that I owned my 2008 RAV4. I use a hitch rack for my bicycles, and I don't road trip with kids anymore. I realize that a roof rack is an important feature for some, but I still have not seen a RAV4 going down the road with anything on the roof. I'd prefer an OEM hitch that doesn't cost $1,000 over a having roof rails.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Yes, I totally agree. Before buying my 2019 RAV4 I was also looking at the Honda CRV (of course), and it turned out that the CRV doesn't come standard with roof rails unless you choose the higher level Touring model. Sure, the roof rails weren't the only reason I chose the Toyota, but it tipped the scales that much further for the RAV4.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I don't totally disagree with you but I'm guessing that most of us will never use our roof racks. I think I used my roof rack once or twice in the 12 years that I owned my 2008 RAV4. I use a hitch rack for my bicycles, and I don't road trip with kids anymore. I realize that a roof rack is an important feature for some, but I still have not seen a RAV4 going down the road with anything on the roof. I'd prefer an OEM hitch that doesn't cost $1,000 over a having roof rails.
Use my roof rack all the time, mountain bikes in the summer and ski cargo box in the winter. Its very handy

You obviously don't ski or snowboard because pretty much every suv has a cargo box or a ski rack. Very handy

·
Registered
2021 Rav 4 XLE gas engine
1,080 Posts
Use my roof rack all the time, mountain bikes in the summer and ski cargo box in the winter. Its very handy

You obviously don't ski or snowboard because pretty much every suv has a cargo box or a ski rack. Very handy
True- but the overwhelming majority of people don't ski or surf or haul lumber or have any other use for a roof rack. It's just a styling affectation to make a soccer mom's kid hauler look "rugged."

·
Registered
150 Posts
Crossbars reduce gas mileage, not a good thing to do especially on a hybrid. Even the RAV's that have roof rails, they aren't raised so this is somewhat limiting for tie down points and crossbar options. Someone in the aftermarket will probably develop a roof rail/cross bar solution for the 2022 LE.

·
Registered
990 Posts
True- but the overwhelming majority of people don't ski or surf or haul lumber or have any other use for a roof rack. It's just a styling affectation to make a soccer mom's kid hauler look "rugged."
I guess

My kids play travel soccer too. Like I said if you must not ever go to a ski resort because literally every car in the lot uses a rack.

Its a bad idea to carry wet, dirty long items in your crossover like skis, boards etc.

It is rare to see a crossover that isn't using the rails. I'm guessing you live in a more urban environment where they are rarely used.

at least toyota was smart enough to include a bunch of extra holes at the lowest part of the rail front and back to add extra "drains"...

Water finding the lowest spot is a new concept, so I can see why the engineers put those drains in

1 - 20 of 21 Posts